Quantcast

New Yeti 303 RDH

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
My frame just came in today, keep your eyes open for the project build on sicklines.com

Good to see that someone else has a boxxer on theirs. I will have a Vivid on mine as well.

Sram only!

Good looking build you have there.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
My frame just came in today, keep your eyes open for the project build on sicklines.com

Good to see that someone else has a boxxer on theirs. I will have a Vivid on mine as well.

Sram only!

Good looking build you have there.

When FREE!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just came back from a Yeti Dirt Demo. Got to do an extended parking lot test (too tired post trail ride on 575 for another loop). Stock, Large.
Thoughts:
1) the cockpit was a bit tight. It was built up with a 45mm stem, and a 6'4" that made the cockpit far too tight. A 55-60mm stem would have been perfect. I also like a very long top tube (see large Yeti DH-9 with a 60mm stem).

2) Holy crap can it manual. I haven't tried to manual a DH bike in almost three years. I was able to kick up and hold it for almost a full city block. The bike is extremely well balanced and takes small inputs very well.

3) Holy crap it can turn. Full sprint to 180* turn around in the width of a narrow 2-lane city street. With the bar 1' off the ground pushing the corner hard there was no back end flex, and I think I could have push it harder, but I got tired... Snapping it out of the corner, there was not chain lag. Pedaling out of the corner it was extremely quick and responsive. It almost felt like a heavy slalom bike.

4) Pedaling. There was a bit of pedal induced bob, but the bike was under sprung by substantially. I'm 215, and it was setup for a 180 pound rider. Based on the bob, it was clear that proper spring rate would correct a large amount of the bob. It did feel a bit heavy, but I would attribute a lot of that to just being out of shape. *I was on flat pedals.

5) Weight. The stock build is about 40# on the nose. An integrated stem, lighter bar, crank, wheels, seat, and post would easily drop it to 36-37. I would consider it a must do.

6) Suspension. Again, it was too soft for me, but damn. Just damn. It felt SO nice. Just buttery smooth with a good ramp-up towards the end of the travel.

All-in-all I was quite impressed. I won't be rushing out to get one, as I don't race DH, and I'm pretty sure the wife would kill me, however if I was in the market for a DH bike, I would definitely add this to my short list.