Quantcast

New Yeti trail bike dubbed the "SB-66"

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
It looks ultra stiff and very strong. Big guys and heavy hitters should have a solid experience aboard it.

I want something in this range but have been worried about a couple of bikes that are a little noodly (is that a word?) This should be nice and stiff.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
The Yeti website has a lot of info on this bike but it's still very complicated to explain how the bike works and how it's not a Decathlon Copy, that's going to be hard. I would't go overboard with the hype because it's not "Suspension like you've never seen before" and I would try to explain the difference with the Decathlon.
Sorry, but I don't think Yeti needs to explain the difference with a Decathlon. That would be like Porsche feeling like they had to explain the differences between one of their cars and a Hyundai. BTW, no one in the US has a clue what a Decathlon is.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Actually, car companies go to great lengths to explain why they are different than other car companies. its called Marketing.

So, just a guess here, but that suspension is just a single pivot that has a slight rearward arc due to the main pivot, yes? Simplistic version I know, but thats the gist of it right?

I gotta say, it looks pretty damn neat. :) Can't wait to see the carbon one.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
if i worked for yeti and read through this thread i would be smashing my head off the wall...so much **** talk...

bike looks awesome

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Sorry, but I don't think Yeti needs to explain the difference with a Decathlon. That would be like Porsche feeling like they had to explain the differences between one of their cars and a Hyundai. BTW, no one in the US has a clue what a Decathlon is.
That's snobbism

Outland was the first one to use VPP, and it was a small brand.
Iron Horse was the first one to use a DW Link, and it was a small brand too, then they gain some respect....

Decathlon is a Multisport store brand, but a lot of the Bike industry innovations are done by small, crappy, worthless companys...

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I'd actually like the bike more if they'd ditch the hideous Yeti light blue... .
Do you also think Honda should get rid of red?? ;)

Sorry, just busting balls . . . Turquoise has been the corporate color here since the company was founded, so there's no chance of it going away. However, we will be offering the bike in Lime, Black, and White, so hopefully, there's a color everyone can live with.

--JP

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
The LR on the other hand is not great. I guess it's OK for a Trailbike but 6 inches of travel is almost AM territory and you have to be carefull, explain to your customers that going to a 160mm fork and a heavy build is probably not a good idea, If there is something bigger comming next year tell them to wait a little bit more...

Thanks for the note, VRock. As I'm sure you're aware, leverage ratio is completely suspension design-specific, so it's pretty hard to predict the ride/feel of a certain bike without knowing the rest of the 'numbers' going on with the suspension. Our LR is tailored to the Switch suspension design, and you'd be really hard-pressed to receive a harsh bottom out on this bike. Believe me, I've tried (drop me an email if you want to hear the story of me repeatedly casing the ever-loving sh*t out of this jump in CA during a photo shoot; I was shocked at how softly it hit bottom).

It's also interesting to note that due to the curve/design, a coil and an air shock work equally well. Very few bikes offer this.

--JP

Yep, the funny thing is that in Spain Decathlon bikes are considered crap, but now Yeti uses the same design and everyone is loving it...
That's not exactly true... decathlon is a popular multisports brand in Europe, and that leads many people to label their bikes (mostly XC, light enduro and commuters) as "supermarket stuff".

But those who try them are generally very happy, mainly because price/quality they are hard to beat and (most) are well designed and ride well, though they're not as visually appealing as the "big brand" ones).

I've heard quite a few good reviews of their "neuf" system - great as long as you care more about pedaling efficience than bump absortion. I don't know how the yeti will behave; it certainly looks like a neuf... fancier, but by any means not "new" at all.

By the way, I don't see why should help to have a backwards curve the final stages of wheel path.

Last edited:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Actually, car companies go to great lengths to explain why they are different than other car companies. its called Marketing.
Porsche isn't explaining the difference between their cars and a SEAT(spanish car company, not an actual seat) to Americans ;)

Explaining the difference between a decathalon or whatever the hell and this new bike is a waste of time for Yeti..

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
18th Yeti???
4xBoy is a long time yeti racer and hence is on his 18th Yeti. I'm on my 7th, and if you count the ones I rode/raced on that were bought through my sponsorship (too poor to buy my own bikes) I'm actually at 12.

Some serious brand loyalty to be found here.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
4xBoy is a long time yeti racer and hence is on his 18th Yeti. I'm on my 7th, and if you count the ones I rode/raced on that were bought through my sponsorship (too poor to buy my own bikes) I'm actually at 12.

Some serious brand loyalty to be found here.
If (when) I get one, it will be my 6th.

Kamanchi

Chimp
Oct 31, 2008
Califonia
The devil's in the details. There isn't another bike in the world, including the Decathlon, where the lower link switches its rotational direction (except for maybe some other prototypes that we're working on).

Really good looking bike!

Konig, Dominion, and Ambush all have bi-directional motion on the main pivot location even though it would be considered the upper link it's unified position has the same intent. I never asked marketing to push for those details when I was with Corsair but the Konig was the first to use bi-directional motion to simulate a pivot location.

p

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
My comment regarding the falling rate is strictly in regards to running a coil shock (the Pinkbike article mentions it being coil compatible). My personal experience with other bikes that have a falling rate at the end of travel has been the suspension is easier to bottom out.

Overall the frame looks gorgeous.
If you compare the leverage rate curve to the scale on the side, the leverage ratio barely changes at all. For all intents and purposes, it's very close to being completely linear. The falling rate is a couple of %, it's nothing to be alarmed about.

Bike looks cool, hope it rides nice too.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Could all of this bikes benifits be duplicated with a split pivot on the 575, and raising it's pivot, and getting the shock leverage curve via a linkage driving the shock?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
If you compare the leverage rate curve to the scale on the side, the leverage ratio barely changes at all. For all intents and purposes, it's very close to being completely linear. The falling rate is a couple of %, it's nothing to be alarmed about.

Bike looks cool, hope it rides nice too.
Thanks for pointing that out Socket.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
That wouldn't be YETI's innovation which is important factor for such a brand. Actually, it's funny how all those patents are helping originate new ways of cheating them :). I'm curious when a patent of using an idler sprocket will be issued ...

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
The videos on the site feature Shaun O'Connor, our factory-level World Cup racer, videography/photography by John Reynolds and Craig Grant, and a super slo-mo camera that costs more than my house.
I just watched it...so sick!! I'm guessing the Phantom Flex camera? Even the daily rental rates on those bad larry's are REDONCULOUS (upwards of $400/day)

I love Yeti's commitment to investing in high quality media since I've seen first hand how too many bike companies want to skimp with that part of their budget (at least when it comes to video content)

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
John P will Yeti be rolling this out to all the bikes? Or will the DH bikes keep the rails?
Best of luck getting an answer to that one.
I'll do my best here. :)

Yeti has always followed the theory that we'll use the best technology available for the application at hand. For DH use, feedback from our team (and also the results) seem to indicate that the rail technology is pretty f'ing fast. However, trail and all-mountain riding is a whole 'nother ball of wax, and we found that the Switch technology provides better ride charachteristics for that.

As always, we'll continue to experiment with different designs and philosophies, and although I can't blow the lid off exactly what we're going to do in the future, I can assure you that we'll never compromise performance for marketing hype.

FYI,

John P.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Really good looking bike!

Konig, Dominion, and Ambush all have bi-directional motion on the main pivot location even though it would be considered the upper link it's unified position has the same intent.

p
Thanks, bro. I stand corrected! Luckily for Yeti, I'm just a lowly sales/PR guy; we've got a lot more knowledgable dudes doing the design and patent work.

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
That wouldn't be YETI's innovation which is important factor for such a brand. Actually, it's funny how all those patents are helping originate new ways of cheating them :). I'm curious when a patent of using an idler sprocket will be issued ...
Trek actually has a patent on an idler- it's U.S. patent #6045470.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I love Yeti's commitment to investing in high quality media since I've seen first hand how too many bike companies want to skimp with that part of their budget (at least when it comes to video content)
ditto.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I just watched it...so sick!! I'm guessing the Phantom Flex camera? Even the daily rental rates on those bad larry's are REDONCULOUS (upwards of $400/day)
Add another zero, and you're in the ballpark. It was nuts. Craig and John are going to be blogging about the shoot very soon.

Thanks man. When I first started here, I was stoked to see that we had a photographer AND videographer on staff full time. It really helps with stuff like this.

--JP