Quantcast

Newbie Needs a Bike

Wilafur

Chimp
May 7, 2006
West LA
hi all. i am new here and have not been on a bike for many a year....ok...ok....a decade. however, i am getting back into riding and am looking for a well rounded mountain bike (urban to trail). thus far i have visited 2 of the larger LBS's in my area and have ridden the following:

1. Trek 6700
2. Gary Fisher Tass
3. Iron Horse Warrior SE
4. Iron Horse Warrior LE

Since I am looking to stay in the $700-950 range, I was hoping that some of you'all can provide me with feedback on the choices above. Any other suggestions will also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

chono12

Chimp
Apr 18, 2006
sf
i test rode the tass many times and it felt good. i was also looking at a trek 6500. then i started looking at disc brakes. the tass felt great on hills but it kind of pops up a little cus im not use to sitting back a inch ot two. i finally decided on a rockhopper comp disc. too bad it wasnt hydro brakes but it was about $150 cheaper. never try the last two bikes.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wilafur said:
care to elaborate?
Ignore that.

Used bikes can be great values if you know what you need, what you want and what the used bike offers. If you're asking, then you don't know... and we all started off not knowing. (which begs the question as to why anyone recommends used to a newbie?)

Find a good shop that will educate you and help you find the right bike for you. If you stick to your budget -- including the necessary accessories (eg. helmet, pump...) -- then you should be happy with whatever you wind up with as all bikes in the price range will definitely get you started without worry.

Wilafur

Chimp
May 7, 2006
West LA
thanks for the posts chono12 and lordopie. the bikes listed above were rec's (from my locals shops - performance & helen's) for my price point <$950, but in all truthfulness, the bikes all rode approximately the same to me. the iron horse rode the same as the higher priced trek 6700 and gf tass....then again, i was riding in a paved parking lot.

that said, the iron horse was definitely heavier but i figure that is due to the fact that the iron horses were full suspension vs the trek and gf which were hardtails.

well, performance was pushing the iron horses because they do not carry trek and gf bikes. helen's was pushing the trek and gf tass because they do not carry iron horses. in fact, the sales guy said iron horses were not on the same level as trek and gf.

as you can see, after visiting the shops, i am even more confused. hahaha!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If I may, I recommend staying in the $500-700 range for a hardtail.

One of two things will happen... you'll mildly like the sport and occassionally ride a good ($500-700) bike sometimes or you'll love the sport, figure out exactly what you want and want a new ride more specific to what you really want to do -- downhill, cross-country, maybe pavement? (road bike), or one of the other styles.

Get a cheaper bike for your first and keep it as your back-up ride and something to learn on when making mistakes wrenching. Or maybe you'll turn it into a city/commuter bike with racks and slick tires after using it as a mt.bike for a year or two.

Also, you're paying retail price at a retail store... you're paying more for their knowledge and support. Buy from whichever store is willing to educate/help you for 'free'.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
$950 will buy you a heck of a hardtail... you should be able to do better than the bikes you listed. I would stay away from full suspension at that price point... that budget will buy you a very beginner level full suspension or a pretty solid mid-grade HT. In your position, I'd go with the solid HT over a beginner FS as you won't outgrow the HT as fast.

See if any of the shops near you sell Specialied or Kona - they make great bike in your price range. Personally I would stay away from Trek/GF (same parent company) as I haven't had good luck with lower end trek gear.

Opie also had a good suggestion... since this is your first bike, go cheaper until you figure out what exactly you want/need. Then it won't be so painful when it comes time to upgrade.

Good luck.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Oh, I forgot... don't buy 7 BIKES from the same shop. They won't give you a discount on #8 and really, by #4 or 5, you should be building up your own frames.

:D

Wilafur

Chimp
May 7, 2006
West LA
lol, you guys rocks. i'll be heading back to the shops this weekend and hopefully will pick up a bike. looks like i'll shoot for a hardtail cause it doesn't sound like a full suspension will last quite as long if i evolve into this hobby quickly.