Quantcast

Newest RINO to leave the Republican party:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Arlen Specter, come on down!!

All the good hardcore Republicans should be just ecstatic about this, as now this means that there are even fewer Republicans in the Senate! I think their math goes like this:

Phase 1) Fewer Representatives/Senators in Congress
Phase 2) ???????
Phase 3) WIN!

... thinking for a minute. Huh, that bears remarkable similarity to:

Phase 1) Cut taxes / decrease revenue
Phase 2) ???????
Phase 3) Profit!

This is just going to make Coleman fight even harder up in MN, though. Wonder if he can drag it out another 5.5 years?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That is huge f-king news!!!!!

Funny, though, if Lieberman becomes a Rep, though...

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
Arlen Specter, come on down!!

This is just going to make Coleman fight even harder up in MN, though. Wonder if he can drag it out another 5.5 years?
You ain't kidding on that last one. Going to be interesting to watch.

Also:

Phase 1) No head of HHS in the face of Swine Flu!
Phase 2) ???????
Phase 3) WIN!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
he'll suck anyones dick to stay in power.

[Democrats] are trying very hard for the 60th vote. Got to give them credit for trying. But the answer is no.

I'm not going to discuss private talks I had with other people who may or may not be considered influential. But since those three people are in the public domain, I think it is appropriative to respond to those questions.

I am staying a Republican because I think I have an important role, a more important role, to play there. The United States very desperately needs a two-party system. That's the basis of politics in America. I'm afraid we are becoming a one-party system, with Republicans becoming just a regional party with so little representation of the northeast or in the middle atlantic. I think as a governmental matter, it is very important to have a check and balance. That's a very important principle in the operation of our government. In the constitution on Separation of powers.

Last edited:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
So Specter heads on over to the White House. Welcome to the team!

I see his interviews and see the fear in his eyes. Anything to not lose.

I put pols in the same ranks as pro athletes. No loyalty to anyone but themselves and available to the highest bidder. But at least pro athletes are up front about it.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So, just to play devil's advocate, couldn't the argument be made that he's being loyal to his constituents in PA? The voters of PA have been moving steadily left, including 200k switching over to the Democrats for the primary last year. That means that there would be 200k fewer moderates who would be able to vote for him in the primary, and assuming he lost wouldn't be able to vote for him in the general either. Granted, he probably should have switched to Independent and let the people vote for him that way (similar to Lieberman), but if a majority of PA residents are still going to vote for him, who cares?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Anything that makes moderates more successful is a good thing in my book. This pulls the Dems closer to the middle and will force the Reps to do the same if they don't want to become a fringe party.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
So, just to play devil's advocate, couldn't the argument be made that he's being loyal to his constituents in PA?
That argument could be made if it weren't so obvious it's a strategic move to stay in the running.

However it is his job to represent his constituents, so if his voting also moves left to reflect his constituents, then I would say you're right. Others would say that's pandering, but for a congressman that's what they're supposed to do.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
So, just to play devil's advocate, couldn't the argument be made that he's being loyal to his constituents in PA? The voters of PA have been moving steadily left, including 200k switching over to the Democrats for the primary last year. That means that there would be 200k fewer moderates who would be able to vote for him in the primary, and assuming he lost wouldn't be able to vote for him in the general either. Granted, he probably should have switched to Independent and let the people vote for him that way (similar to Lieberman), but if a majority of PA residents are still going to vote for him, who cares?
I don't think so.

The reality of political officials is re-election. That is the only measure of voter approval and loyalty.

Lieberman became an Independent after he lost the Democratic primary. If Spector went Independent, then come election time, he would be running against a Republican and a Democrat, and both sides would poach his voter base.