Quantcast

Nicolai M-Pire + Avanlanche DHS?

Edvard

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Europe
I've been reading that the Avy DHS shock only works for a 100% on specific link designs.. would it work/fit on the M-Pire?

Also: is the Avalanche a shock only meant for big drops etc. or 'can' you race with them too?

I just want a shock that I can trust, that is simple and is quite easy to work on (I heard moto-shops can work on them?)

thanks

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Originally posted by Edvard
I've been reading that the Avy DHS shock only works for a 100% on specific link designs.. would it work/fit on the M-Pire?

Also: is the Avalanche a shock only meant for big drops etc. or 'can' you race with them too?

I just want a shock that I can trust, that is simple and is quite easy to work on (I heard moto-shops can work on them?)

thanks
you can do anything you want on avalanches -- they are custom valved to YOU (your weight, riding style, personal preference) so if you want a soft/plush race shock, or a stiff hucking shock it can do it for ya. and yes, moto shops can work on them. but Craig (owner/runs Ava) can do a complete revalve for really cheap after you buy the shock. i also believe that Sinister is now a certified service shop for Avalanche.
can't say anything about it only working 100% for only some link designs, but i imagine that it's efficiency doesnt drop too much on other stuff, just because i've seen them on such a wide variety of bikes.

(boy, that sounded like a sales pitch, eh? i guess thats what craig gets when he makes something so damn well ;) )

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Mumbles
you can do anything you want on avalanches -- they are custom valved to YOU (your weight, riding style, personal preference) so if you want a soft/plush race shock, or a stiff hucking shock it can do it for ya. and yes, moto shops can work on them. but Craig (owner/runs Ava) can do a complete revalve for really cheap after you buy the shock. i also believe that Sinister is now a certified service shop for Avalanche.
can't say anything about it only working 100% for only some link designs, but i imagine that it's efficiency doesnt drop too much on other stuff, just because i've seen them on such a wide variety of bikes.

(boy, that sounded like a sales pitch, eh? i guess thats what craig gets when he makes something so damn well ;) )
craig was pretty adamant (while being very nice, of course!) that the revalving was key when switching the shock between rising rate linkage and straight rate designs. so, judging from that along with the fact that avalanche owners tend to be happy with their shocks as a rule, i'd say that yes, avys work on all kinds of suspension designs.

only downsides: cost, weight, size, as they don't physically fit on some bikes...

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by Toshi
craig was pretty adamant (while being very nice, of course!) that the revalving was key when switching the shock between rising rate linkage and straight rate designs. so, judging from that along with the fact that avalanche owners tend to be happy with their shocks as a rule, i'd say that yes, avys work on all kinds of suspension designs.

only downsides: cost, weight, size, as they don't physically fit on some bikes...
:( It's true, I can't get one to fit my bike.:angry:
My next bike while have an avy no matter what.

Pow pow

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Scotland
Originally posted by Toshi

Whilst on this subject how much does an Avi weigh compaired to a Fox RC/Swinger 6 way/5th Elephant

Edvard

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Europe
Is it possible to ask Craig to custom valve an Avalanche DHS shock to my weight, riding style, personal preference and type of bike beforehand? Is this a free service? This one may be a stupid question but I'm new in the world of suspension and I don't know how all this happens yet.. :rolleyes:
I live in Europe so I guess it would would be expensive for me if I'd let this heavy shock ship from- and back to the US when I want to revalve it or something similar; that's why the moto-shop solution is very interesting!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is it possible to ask Craig to custom valve an Avalanche DHS shock to my weight, riding style, personal preference and type of bike beforehand? Is this a free service? This one may be a stupid question but I'm new in the world of suspension and I don't know how all this happens yet.. :rolleyes:
I live in Europe so I guess it would would be expensive for me if I'd let this heavy shock ship from- and back to the US when I want to revalve it or something similar; that's why the moto-shop solution is very interesting!
yes! each shock is custom, and he will valve and spring the shock as appropriate for you, your bike, your weight and your riding style when you purchase one.

what we were referring to is the reasonably priced after-the-fact service for those who buy shocks secondhand and aren't going to use them on the same back on which they were mounted before.

Edvard

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Europe
Is the compression adjustment option worth the extra 100$?

I will be using this shock 80% on racing, and the other 20% I guess just on playing with the bike and freeride. I won't be dropping from houses or stuff like that so that's why I'm doubting whether I'd go for the compression adjustment option or not..

so: Is the compression adjustment option worth the extra 100$?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is the compression adjustment option worth the extra 100$?

I will be using this shock 80% on racing, and the other 20% I guess just on playing with the bike and freeride. I won't be dropping from houses or stuff like that so that's why I'm doubting whether I'd go for the compression adjustment option or not..

so: Is the compression adjustment option worth the extra 100$?
i couldn't tell you. i don't have one (yet), despite being the unofficial avy spokesman in this thread :D . from what i've read the adjustments are very fine, so you'd probably be just as well off without it.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yes the compression adjustment is worth it.

i have a DHS shock with Ti spring on my Brooklyn Race Link. i had it valved for mostly racing.
sounds like you want the same thing i did.
80% racing 20% FR
though i haven't really been able to race it lately, i still haven't had any issues with it.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yes it on the piggy back. go to the Avy web site, they have a BUNCH of pics of it.

also don't worry about room. there's a TON on the M-Pire. so get the Compression adjustment too.

Edvard

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Europe
I've read that Avalanche advises to recharge the nitrogen every 6 months. As I said; I live in Europe, so I was wondering if motoshops also can do this without problems?
I don't want to be shockless every 6 months so I want to keep it close enough with me :-)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've read that Avalanche advises to recharge the nitrogen every 6 months. As I said; I live in Europe, so I was wondering if motoshops also can do this without problems?
I don't want to be shockless every 6 months so I want to keep it close enough with me :-)
Yes a good MX shop should be able to service the shock. I've taking mine to the local MX shop for a quick shot of nitro.