Quantcast

Night crit!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Just got back from a 10 mile road crit that I helped host. I took over the presidency of the cycling club on campus and we decided to celebrate by carrying out a midnight race that we had planned earlier this week. Only four showed up to ride, I was kindly given a bike to ride(first time ever on a road bike) and after a quick warm up lap and a narrow escape from Campus Safety we were off for 5 laps, slightly over 2 miles each. We kept it fun and for the first four laps just carried a tough pace, but not dropping anyone. Last lap was full of breakaways....mostly me learning that if I'm going to break away I need to surprise people....going "on your left" does not do that. It was a good lesson and I was dead by the final uphill sprint we had setup. Still, it was good fun had by all, no one was hurt(though we scared a few peds), and we got some drunken cheers each time we hurtled by one of the bars.

We'll be planning a few more of these, trying to make it a weekly thing for next year. If you are in San Jose and feel like racing a little bit give me a PM, we'd love for more people(should have 10 or so once midterms and such are over). We don't give out prizes or crown a champion, but we do have beers afterwards and lots of **** talking in the beginning.

Here is a couple of pics.

The Ito

PS...ya, I'm the one in jeans....I may be freewheeling, but it's always fixie style!

Attachments

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Sweet! Those are always fun as long as they are semi-safe. Although, how can a crit really be semi-safe? :)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Heidi said:
Sweet! Those are always fun as long as they are semi-safe. Although, how can a crit really be semi-safe? :)
Midway through the 3rd lap a cop pulled up alongside me and cruised for a quarter mile. "Yes officer?" "Out training?" "No, just having some fun" "Shouldn't you invest in some lights?" "um.....ya, I guess that might be smart"

He pulled away and we finished the next two laps no problem, one close call at an intersection, but as it was the first event no one was playing hero and we all were fairly safe.

Calling out "whoa! look at her!" would definitely be considered unsafe :p

The Ito