Quantcast

Night riding lights query....

DHiTone

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
UK
I figured the 24 hour brigade would be able to help me better on this one. Now winter is setting in, with the xception of weekend and wednesday afternoon i have to do all my training at night.

I have bought an XC bike for this and fitted light brackets to that and my DH bike. The set of lights i have been using are homemade, 40 watt 'look out the suns coming up' type made from piping and powered by house alarm battery stashed under my saddle....

But, on gentle trails the lights moutned to the bike are fine but i am starting to ride more DH runs and technical stuff and where i want to go and where the light is pointing are 2 very different places.

Would you recommend head mounted lights over having them on the bike? Or both? (presume you cant have too much light!)

Any recommendations for good headtorches for riding would be appreciated. Thanks

Tony

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
One on the bar, one on the head. This is the absolute best combo. The bar light follows the wheel, the head lamp follows where you look. Absolutely necessay to ride through the corners fast. I'm using the Niterider Trailrat on the helmet. Cheap and effective.

There's currently a discussion on lights going on over in Tech Talk. Check it out, might give you some more info.

DHiTone

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
UK
thought as much, just not had chance to try the two out together yet. Will have a look on Tech Talk too.

cheers

Tone