Quantcast

No inexpensive beginner suspension bikes allowed on BB chairlift?!

R

Rabie

downhillzeypher said:
I don't see why this thread won't die.

We need to put ss out of our minds and concentrate on the FUTURE of SoCal DH! Instead of wasting your time figuring out how to get your bike onto ss sh*t trails, why don't you put that effort into thinking of our future @ baldy!
I don't know... cause people, like, want to ride their bikes and stuff?

Since everyone's started shuttling Baldy :evil: :nope: Big Bear has never been better! That "Ghost Town" comment might ruin it all, though...

Let's keep this thread alive, even if it means using gratuitious comments about cheapass Motiv bikes or filthy, unkempt downhillers that listen to bad music! :)

GunShow?

Chimp
May 12, 2004
EBasil said:
Since everyone's started shuttling Baldy :evil: :nope: Big Bear has never been better! That "Ghost Town" comment might ruin it all, though...

Let's keep this thread alive, even if it means using gratuitious comments about cheapass Motiv bikes or filthy, unkempt downhillers that listen to bad music! :)
Ghost Town? I don't really even miss SS. I just lightened my RFX up to 33lbs and I have been riding tons of XC. The funny thing is that since I have been pedaling more, I have found that the Doobie Brothers are awesome!!!! :evil:

All joking aside, I think you are right. The thread should be kept alive. Even though I disagree with SS new policy, it appears that even their staff is lenient on bike regulations and I am sure a lot of people appreciate the info. They might not allow DH bikes but it is still a place to ride in SoCal.

downhillzeypher said:

We need to put ss out of our minds and concentrate on the FUTURE of SoCal DH! Instead of wasting your time figuring out how to get your bike onto ss sh*t trails, why don't you put that effort into thinking of our future @ baldy!
Yeah we should all put our heads together to "preserve" downhilling in SoCal. The Baldy hypothesis is nothing more than that.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
EBasil said:

No one is shuttling Baldy. Let me state that right up front. You don't have to, Baldy has a lift which everyone is welcome to use if you like riding one fireroad down. But no one is shuttling Baldy. As for the name(AMBP), well it may not be the "coolest" name but it makes a very good first impression, which is why we chose it. I don't know about you, but I see more and more legitimate trails being closed, our only lift assisted venue all but closed it's doors, and more and more people are either sellign their DH bikes or building pirate trails. Sounds like it needs some preservation to me.

Personally I feel that there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of a legitimate service such as a lift to ride legal trails (And yes, I know that there are legal trails that point downhill up there). As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, SS makes up the ENTIRE summer revenue from one so-so day of skiing. For a boycott to really work there would need to be a ton of organization and people would have to boycott during the winter as well. I personally won't give my money to SS because I feel that they run a shoddy operation. The only thing I really have an issue with is people riding pirate trails. And that's only because the FS has an eye on all of us right now. They don't seperate us into groups, we're all just downhillers to them. Continual riding of pirate trails will only cause more legitimate trails to get closed to us. But what people do is their own business. I can give my opinion and make suggestions but people are going to ride where they want.

As for Mt. Baldy, it will happen. It's going to take more work and more time than we were hoping for, but that does not mean that it won't happen. We may not be posting here everyday about what's going on but I we are in contact with either Baldy, the Forest Service or each other every day. Yes it's slow right now, but there is not much we can do to speed up governmental processes. Once we have our final approvals we may ask people to forego a day of riding at SS in favor of a day of building at Baldy. Untill then you may occasionally find an e-mail asking you to do some exploration riding with us, if you have signed up as an AMBP member that is.

Have fun, ride where you can, but for all of our sakes, please try to not ride pirate trails. And if you insist on riding them, please keep it on the down low. Yes, I know... it's none of my business where yu ride, I'm just asking, that's all. And if anyone has any questions about Baldy, shoot me an e-mail or PM. I will be glad to try and answer any questions people may have. And we are ALWAYS glad to have volunteers.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Ciarian- WERD.

Rabie- Are we so desperate we're jumping through hoops to get our bikes onto a shoddy mountian that could care less if we all died? (as long as they're not liable that is)

R

Rabie

downhillzeypher said:
Rabie- Are we so desperate we're jumping through hoops to get our bikes onto a shoddy mountian that could care less if we all died? (as long as they're not liable that is)
What hoops? I have a bike that meets their requirements. Shoddy mountain? I like the trails there. Could care less if we died? Caring about me isn't the role that corporations play in my life. They are not people, nor do I expect them to be.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
downhillzeypher said:

No one is more bummed about Summitt being shut down then me.
But just so you know, I've been driving 4x4's, riding bikes (DH, XC and what ever else) and enjoying the lake up at Big Bear before you were even born. So the last thing I want to hear is some kid telling me where I can and can't ride. And "your" trail, skyline, yup, been riding that back when you were still on the tit too.

So if myself or anyone else goes up the hill please don't flap your yap about it because we don't want to hear it. K?

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
spookydave said:
No one is more bummed about Summitt being shut down then me.
But just so you know, I've been driving 4x4's, riding bikes (DH, XC and what ever else) and enjoying the lake up at Big Bear before you were even born. So the last thing I want to hear is some kid telling me where I can and can't ride. And "your" trail, skyline, yup, been riding that back when you were still on the tit too.

So if myself or anyone else goes up the hill please don't flap your yap about it because we don't want to hear it. K?
Ditto.

just what I need, a 14 year old novice rider spewing opinions about DH riding.

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
1000-Oaks said:
So according to Snow Summit's chairlift rules, no bikes over 35 lbs are allowed. That eliminates DH bikes, but it also eliminates all of the cheap & heavy 2" travel Huffy-type suspension bikes.

That's pretty crummy, it basically says you can't ride the lift unless you can afford a $1,500 bike or better. Seems to me the 2.5" tire size and 6" suspension travel maximums are more than enough to keep the DH bikes off the lift, why bother with a weight limit?

Grrrrrrr, now my bro can't ride Snow Summit because he has a cheap, heavy XC bike...

Snow Summit's Rules:
Any one of the following four factors will disqualify a bike from being transported on the chair:

1. Bikes must be less than 35 pounds.
2. Designated tire size must be less than 2.5.
3. Front shock must have less than 6 inches of travel.
4. Bikes must have three chain rings unless they are single speed.
How about this~

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Rabie said:
What hoops? I have a bike that meets their requirements. Shoddy mountain? I like the trails there. Could care less if we died? Caring about me isn't the role that corporations play in my life. They are not people, nor do I expect them to be.
Well said Rabie, SpookyDave and W4S. As for the "people" that work there, friendly, polite and just doing a job to get my kids and I safely up the mountain.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Rabie said:
Could care less if we died? Caring about me isn't the role that corporations play in my life. They are not people, nor do I expect them to be.
nailed it...sweet landing!!!....D

GunShow?

Chimp
May 12, 2004
Rabie said:
Thread killer ;)