Quantcast

No one rides in the rain anymore?

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
We were at SST yesterday in the pouring down rain and there wasn't a soul to be seen. The place was in great shape (no mud at all), just very wet with puddles. Finally one guy showed on a Banshee and then an hour later Nathan and his buddy showed up. The slowpark was like a ghost town!

So what I am saying is usually on a Saturday you can barely get a line in there because the place is packed and since it was raining I guess no one rides in the wet any more.

Have we all turned into wusses? What's up? :confused:

Oh' yeah, I was told by a certain some one when I called him to go that he didn't want to get his bike dirty! DPM :nopity:

Jun 18, 2004
I'm going riding again... I like riding in the rain... I went to Duvall after SST with water logged boots, which still havn't dried out yet!!... I'm going back to Baker tomorrow... what else would I do?, sit on my a$$ and play Robotron all day?

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Holliswood I can remember not to long ago you missed out on a SST day cause what it was raining in U-Place.Maybe you just avoiding me?

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
DHRracer said:
Holliswood I can remember not to long ago you missed out on a SST day cause what it was raining in U-Place.Maybe you just avoiding me?
Come on D', I didn't want to get my bike dirty! :D

Do you want me to bring that DVD back to you Saturday at PA?

Universe

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Courtenay, BC
holliswood said:
We were at SST yesterday in the pouring down rain and there wasn't a soul to be seen. The place was in great shape (no mud at all), just very wet with puddles. Finally one guy showed on a Banshee and then an hour later Nathan and his buddy showed up. The slowpark was like a ghost town!

So what I am saying is usually on a Saturday you can barely get a line in there because the place is packed and since it was raining I guess no one rides in the wet any more.

Oh' yeah, I was told by a certain some one when I called him to go that he didn't want to get his bike dirty! DPM :nopity:
I'll take you out in the rain.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
kinghami3 said:
Yeah, we were going to go to Seymor yesterday, but it was raining. I still kind of wanted to go but my friends didn't so we never went.
AThats a great place to go if it's raining. The trails are built well with good run off and there is alot of rock-granite so there is mud but not a ton of it. Should of went.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
kinghami3 said:
Yeah, we were going to go to Seymor yesterday, but it was raining. I still kind of wanted to go but my friends didn't so we never went.
My buddies wanted to go up there yesterday as well. Woulda gone even if it was raining but my bikes outa service at the moment.

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
holliswood said:

It's true! There are a lot of babies out there. A little bit of rain and their bikes go untouched. I have to hand it to you, Bibs, Oly, Derek, etc, though. Every single time you guys came up to the Shore to ride it was absolutely pouring out. In fact, have you guys ever ridden the shore in the sun? hahaha

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Mocha said:
It's true! There are a lot of babies out there. A little bit of rain and their bikes go untouched. I have to hand it to you, Bibs, Oly, Derek, etc, though. Every single time you guys came up to the Shore to ride it was absolutely pouring out. In fact, have you guys ever ridden the shore in the sun? hahaha
I think only once it was dry.......

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
I was talked into riding today. Even i should not have, because i was not cleared to ride till next. I am glad i did. The leg held out well. Rode sawyer, I have not ridden there in about 2 years. I had a blast jumping into mud puddles.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I love the after-ride-in-the-rain/mud clean up period - :D makes the whole ride in icy cold rain feel soooo good!!!

Shower, followed by tasty food and a beer. mmm hmmm.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
I did a couple loops up to the towers on Galbraith on my dh bike both days in the rain. It was an absolute slop fest! SOOO much fun though. I sessioned 911 probably 8 times yesterday. Whoever is doing the work on that trail is making it pretty good.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
i try not to ride in the rain as it sucks the life out of most trails...the only place that is really rain proof is fromme...

if a place is armoured for wet weather riding, ill go play, but most places are not and its to damaging to the trail to just rip down it when wet....sometimes its not a matter of wussy or not, sometimes its a matter of trail preservation.

i got all ready to go trailbuilding this weekend..then the sky opened up...its pretty useless to build in the pissing rain. sunday was chores day and rockclimbing day so i didnt get out at all this weekend to play in the dirt...

next weekend, rain or not, im going to start on a new bridge...2 weeks is to long to go without being in the hills with my bike :)

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
Trails are meant to be ridden, rain or shine. These are MOUNTAIN bikes not bmx's! And for crying out loud we live in the PNW were it rains or is wet half the year. I think some of the lines and ruts on a dry day that are created from wet sessions. are the best. Plus riding in the wet helps trail builders know were proper drainage is needed and other preventive trail work to avoid erosion.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
two1 said:
Trails are meant to be ridden, rain or shine. These are MOUNTAIN bikes not bmx's! And for crying out loud we live in the PNW were it rains or is wet half the year. I think some of the lines and ruts on a dry day that are created from wet sessions. are the best. Plus riding in the wet helps trail builders know were proper drainage is needed and other preventive trail work to avoid erosion.
PREACH ON, PREACH ON!

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
That grease actually is fun. Just two wheel slipping all the way. Just look out for that one tree on the right hand side! Shes just ithcing to take somebodys ass out.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
trailhacker said:
This is a good argument if you actually do trail work?!?
Whats up Kev? You calling me out?

This thread had nothing to do with trailwork. It was about how wierd it was to be at SST on a saturday and have the place to ourselves. Don't let the self rightious lead you astray my friend.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Hey I was just minding my own business, trying to derail this thread and here you come trying to get it back on subject!
J/K You have got to make it up here soon Hollis the trails are epic right now!
A few peeps are doing lots of trail work for us to ride on!
J/K but really it's good.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
holliswood said:
Whats up Kev? You calling me out?
This thread had nothing to do with trailwork. It was about how wierd it was to be at SST on a saturday and have the place to ourselves. Don't let the self rightious lead you astray my friend.
Juz bustin' yo chops yo!
I was going to reply earlier about not riding in the rain because it destroys trails, but that was pretty much covered.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
trailhacker said:
Juz bustin' yo chops yo!
I was going to reply earlier about not riding in the rain because it destroys trails, but that was pretty much covered.
I thought you didn't want to ride in the rain because it's a bitch to get the mud cleaned off your hairy ass :eek:

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
ride said:
Hey I was just minding my own business, trying to derail this thread and here you come trying to get it back on subject!
J/K You have got to make it up here soon Hollis the trails are epic right now!
A few peeps are doing lots of trail work for us to ride on!
J/K but really it's good.
So you free this week? I am on vacation this week and since the weather has been so crappy it's kind of derailed my plans to put in my sprinkler system. Let me know cuz' I was just going to go poach a bunch of closed trails and skid down them in the rain to make knarly ruts! J/K

Jun 18, 2004
seand said:
i try not to ride in the rain as it sucks the life out of most trails...the only place that is really rain proof is fromme...

i got all ready to go trailbuilding this weekend..then the sky opened up...its pretty useless to build in the pissing rain...

next weekend, rain or not, im going to start on a new bridge...2 weeks is to long to go without being in the hills with my bike :)
Hey man I'm bummed that I couldn't help you on that trail... next weekend I will have to work nights but 2 weekends out I can help you... keep me in mind about that WTP bike... I have that wheelset in my truck...

If a trail is getting sloppy-muddy I usually won't ride it... if I'm tearing a trail up or it starts to head that way during a ride/session I'll pack it up and go home and do an urban ride to get all the mud-n-crud off my bike...

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
no worries mike...it was way to wet to go digging last weekend. we are going to head up this weekend i think..less its super gross..then well head to fromme and enjoy the rock armouring goodness of oilcan.

the wtp is yours..we just need to find a time to meet up...no worries there :)