Quantcast

No top pros at sea otter this year

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
On a serious note, I would think:

- Sponsors would not be happy at having to send people to 2 events at the same time
- Sponsors would be pissed at not having pros to highlight the new products being launched
- Teams and sponsors might be more receptive than before about bolting UCI to a new DH series (like what happened with Enduro)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
On a serious note, I would think:

- Sponsors would not be happy at having to send people to 2 events at the same time
- Sponsors would be pissed at not having pros to highlight the new products being launched
- Teams and sponsors might be more receptive than before about bolting UCI to a new DH series (like what happened with Enduro)
Since when has the UCI given two ****s about mountain bike sponsors,

and

Since when have sponsors had the stones to cross the UCI?

I mean, I agree, its a dumb decision, because as much as actual trails at sea otter blow as a DH venue, its still a really big fun bike party, and the only chance for us California fanboys to actually meet the pros (unless you happen to live in socal and get to ride with them in the off season). Definitely sucks.

Also the DS is a really rad event, and worth making the drive for as far as racing goes.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
This was only announced publicly by the UCI yesterday; is there a chance that Sea Otter may be tempted to move their date to suit?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Since most of the industry can drive to and or fly into SoCal for a pennance, I expect there to be the same massive amount of people. Stinks that roughly the 20-30 best sprinters in the World won't be there.

Isn't Sea Otter an UCI points event though, so maybe some new blood get get the points they need to hit the North American legs of the UCI WC DH series?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hell even when I lived less than 30 miles from Fort Ord/Laguna Seca I still never went to the Sea Otter. Of course the benefit of having it so close is that all the local posers went and our local trails were nice and empty for the rest of us to shred.:weee::weee:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Hell even when I lived less than 30 miles from Fort Ord/Laguna Seca I still never went to the Sea Otter. Of course the benefit of having it so close is that all the local posers went and our local trails were nice and empty for the rest of us to shred.:weee::weee:
Different priorities. Some of us like racing, and watching racing. The DH event is a **** show, and I don't usually bother to stay for that, but the DS is amazing.