Quantcast

Noble Canyon / Big Laguna

Gimper4JC

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
San Diego, CA
I keep hearing conflicting stories regarding these trails. I have checked the sdmba website. Is this the MOST current update?

(Semi Shuttle) - We were planning a ride on the 29th, park at the kiosk / parking area off of Sunrise hwy(Big Laguna) and climb up the valley rim, do Big Laguna to Noble Canyon, climb out the valley at the bottom, to the Pine Valley store. Will this be possible? Or will we have some legal "by-passes"?

Some help Mark?

BullittX

Monkey
Dec 6, 2002
Hell Cajon, CA.
It is not currently possible to do this ride the way you described.

To connect the Big Laguna Trail (BLT) to Noble Canyon Trail will require a detour. You will need to exit the BLT at the Laguna Campground and go thru all the way to Sunrise Highway. Go left on Sunrise about a mile and a half and turn left onto Pine Creek Road. Take the road all the way to where the trail is open.

Please stay off the sections of trail that are closed, this is VERY important for future access for us mtbers.

The trail closures may be lifted by Memorial Day BUT, with the fire season already upon us the State is considering closing the Socal Forests due to high fire risk.

mark@sdmba.com

Gimper4JC

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
San Diego, CA
Thanks Mark, I believe I understand what you are saying. I have never entered through the road you describe, but I believe I can find it. Basically we can enter Noble at the first "road crossing"?

Plus I just spoke to someone who rode Noble last week. Suggested the same.

Thanks!
See ya out there.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Like mark suggested you can drive up sunrise hwy and park at pine creek road, this is the road that winds it's way down the mountain to the noble canyon trailhead, you'll ride a mile or so on pavement and then hook up with the trail. I did it a month or so ago and had a great time. My wife was gracious enough to shuttle me and waited at the county park in pine valley while I was crashing into jagged boulders.

Now that its light until ~7:30 I could probablly do some mid week rides if anybody's interested in running a quick shuttle starting at about 5:00. I've been so wrapped up with moving and other little projects I haven't had much time to ride at all and my wife has gotten used to comadeering weekends. I'd like to get back up to noble again some time soon.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd be riding the AS-X, I've already done that ride up the pavement thing and it's not much fun for the first several miles. I'm actually thinking I'd rather push/hike/ride up the trail than trying to ride the road. I'm terrible at picking days to do things, so somebody else pick a day next week, tuesday is no good for me but any other day should be fine.

Mark, I think I saw you riding down peutz valley road yesterday. I noticed your truck parked under the bridge. I was the guy in the beat up dirty purple saturn that waved and you either didn't notice or you were afraid I was going to run you off the road so you kept both hands on the bars. How have you been doing anderson lately? From peutz valley up to the 4 corners area and back or do you have some other route?