Quantcast

Noisy Hayes Discs!!!!!

robmtnbkr

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
A, A
Any suggestions on how to quiet down Hayes discs. I clean them with 91% rubbing alcohol and have put new pads on but nothing seems to work.:help:

R

RideMonkey

I've heard that this is a problem. There must be some ideas about this. Anyone?

RuffRyda

Chimp
Feb 7, 2002
Portland OR
i have some hayes and they frequently make noises but always seem to go away after use. it seems to happend when i get dust or a little bit of dirt in them. i just ride them a the eventualy go away, althought they are extremly annyoing.

Old_Dude

Monkey
This question might be related to this thread - if not, I can deltet this post & start a new thread.

I also have a bike with Hayes hydraulic brakes. It seems like the front pads do not recess enough. I've followed the directions for pushing the pistons back, I let the bike upside down for at least 15 minutes (as per the LBS), I've adjusted the disc, I've adjusted the position of the brake on the fork - this helped a bit, but I still get a minute bit of rub.

Compared to the back brake, which has never rubbed, one of my front brake pads doesn't retract as much - I'm guessing it pokes out 1/2 to 1 mm more than the back brake pads. I'm guessing the only way to remedy this is to remove a very little amount of brake fluid so the pads will retract further, giving more clearance? I haven't tried this yet.

:help:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
What kind of noise? Howling or grinding? If one piston seems to be sticking ie not going back in enough, you can try this. Remove the wheel and pads, stick a 10mm box end wrench in between the pistons with the post centered on the wrench opening. Pull the lever several times until its bottomed out then push the pistons back in. Do this several times and it may help. I find thet every time I bleed or put new pads in I will get a little rub but it goes away after a few hard descents. But I think its just one of the Hayes characteristics. They rub a little. Its mostly just annoying though. I don't think it really causes any significant friction.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by robmtnbkr
Any suggestions on how to quiet down Hayes discs. I clean them with 91% rubbing alcohol and have put new pads on but nothing seems to work.:help:
mine were making noise also but only when I used them.....if they are making noise when you haven't applied the brakes then that's a spacing problem....if it only happens when you brake, then try sanding the rotors with some fine sandpaper....D