Quantcast

Nomad Freeride...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
How do you like the dee max wheels on that? I was debating running the same one mine.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Keep your fingures crossed. Every DHX air through our LBS has been sent back to Fox for new seals.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Congrats, I'm not a fan of the hump on the Nomad but the bike does look sharp. I noticed it also does look better in person than in pics from my experience.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
hot bike, but whats with set-back seatpost and long stem? you shoppin at the big n' tall bike shop?
to ease your mind, all the the DHX airs that we've gotten at our shop (all 2 of em.) have been fine so far.
damn hot bike...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Kanter said:
YEP.... Stuck down. I dont trust air. The DHX coil with a Ti spring is super light.
A guy I was riding with had that happen right before the decent. No fun, but I'm interested to see how next year's turn out.

Oh yeah, I definitely like the look of the bike.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
you guy say don't trust air shocks. well that is kinda wrong the fox air shock are aobut the only air shock that i know have problem these days. the manituo and rockshoxs one have proven their worth over and over agian even in FR situations. i think is kinda rediculous for the stuck down problem to be happening.

btw i have been riding air fork/shock for over 6 year and only one air system ever gave my problem (a king pin). also i'm not easy on my parts either because of my riding style and because of my 250 lbs of heft.

air products that i have been on are:
1gen and 2gen psylo races
minute 3:00 (saw xc/fr)
reba race (seeing xc and fr as we speak)
going to get a pike air team soon (for tire clearance and strenght)
sid air rear shock (yes it saw FR stuff)
fox air rear shock (never saw fr)
mantuo 4 way air (saw everything but DH)
currently on a rockshox MC3 (going to see xc,dj,dh)

air assit
marz dj 2 (saw dj,fr)
marz z150 (saw dj,park,fr,dh)
manituo kingpin (that fork was crappy)

point being just because its air doesnt mean its going to fail. infact i have had more coil forks and shock fail on my.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I was the one that said, "I dont trust air." I hate the way it feels and I hate when it fails. If a coil shock or fork blows, you can usually ride it. If a air shock or fork blows, you are screwed.

A Fox DHX air and a DHX coil with a Ti spring weigh about the same. Why would someone even bother with the air version? I just dont get it. With something as small as a shock the weight difference is small. In a fork the weight difference actually adds up.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
ok you have a liget reason for not liking air (the way it feels) most people have a hatred for it that is not justifiable. i personnally like the feel of air (just a pereferance difference i know). also the air verson will still weight a fair amount less than the dhx w/ti. the air chamber weight about nothing. but i agree in a fork air make an even bigger saving (just look at the boxxers).

oh btw 2 of the time i have had a coil fork/shock fail it was the spring (defective)

not trying to argue with this post just trying to make some valid points. to each his/her own if he/she has a valid argument.

man we need more women in this sport!

oh btw kanter i love your fly's :thumb:

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yeah i remember you posting on the 02.5 breaking and that is a bummer but the 06's are so damn nice. the fly have always been one of those bikes i always wanted but have never had the money or need. so i now ride a transiton preston fr, love the little bugger seeing that it rides nice and tight but still some how retains a long wheel base.

Cuprinol

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Very nice indeed, but I do have a question. Whats your riding style? Why those heavy wheels and cranks? Don´t now how strong that frame is, but wouldn´t a pair of... Rhyno Lite XL´s and a pair of all mountain cranks be better suited and make for a snappier ride without sacrificing too much strength?

Just a thought, I still think your bike is wicked.

May 4, 2005
Bothell, Washington
Well I Like to ride HArd. I tacoed my CrossMAx Xl's Front wheel on a
7-8foot Drop. Mavic Said There not made for that. So I got a really good deal on the Deemax wheels. I love the Saint Cranks..Super Stiff! I have a Specialized Stunpjumper 120 with full XTR for Cross Country and Thought I would Build the Nomad for Freeride (Jumping, Drops and Overall Bombing). I can still hang with my Cross Country buddies but when it comes to the Downhill side of things I leave them in the Dust! By the way it loves the Jumps and Flys like a bird...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
seattlechronic said:
Keeps the Horse **** and Mud out of my Face... When things dry out it comes off...

E
Looks very Moto!! I luv it.

What size is that bad boy?? And how tall are you? Reason I ask is cause I'm looking at replacing my stolen rigs and that frame is definitely an option....Just wondering, thanks!

BRRrrrrraaaaaappppP!

Inkhell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Golden
I'm 6' and just picked up a medium Nomad. Seems to fit great. Similar geometry to my old 18" Stinky D and med Foes Fly. I'm running a 170mm 66rc2x so the head angle is a little slacker than stock but it fit's great. Not much riding yet here in Minnesota but the DHX air seems to be holding up. Even raced a dh race on snow with no issues. Got a used 5th to try on it just in case. I'm 230lbs and not smooth so I don't have a ton of faith in the air shock.

Attachments

Tonycalves

Monkey
Feb 16, 2005
PB SanDiego/NYC
Love the Nomads, I have top tube issues with these bikes too tho. hate long stems and hate short TT. The telescopic seatpost is a great addition. And there's nothing wrong with fenders.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Inkhell said:
I'm 6' and just picked up a medium Nomad. Seems to fit great. Similar geometry to my old 18" Stinky D and med Foes Fly. I'm running a 170mm 66rc2x so the head angle is a little slacker than stock but it fit's great. Not much riding yet here in Minnesota but the DHX air seems to be holding up. Even raced a dh race on snow with no issues. Got a used 5th to try on it just in case. I'm 230lbs and not smooth so I don't have a ton of faith in the air shock.
Inkhell.... I need your help!

I just bought a Nomad, minus the front shock (I'm running an older z.1 for the time being). I noted the first problem was the low BB clearance (Prolly from the z.1).

Could you measure the BB height? I'm thinking of going with the 66rc2x myself and want to find out what that will do to the BB height.

Thanks!

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Has anyone tried out a 888rc on this rig yet? I'm going to give it a shot (since I have one on a bullit). I would like to ultimately go with the 66, but I'm torn.

Would you go with the 66rc2x or the Fox 36? I will be hitting more backcountry rides with this rig, but want the ability to take some hits (porcupine rim, Amasa back, etc). I love the feel of the 888, and figure the 66 will feel similar.

Your opinions are crucial monkeys!

Inkhell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Golden
Ascentrek said:
Inkhell.... I need your help!

I just bought a Nomad, minus the front shock (I'm running an older z.1 for the time being). I noted the first problem was the low BB clearance (Prolly from the z.1).

Could you measure the BB height? I'm thinking of going with the 66rc2x myself and want to find out what that will do to the BB height.

Thanks!

With the 66 and 2.5" dh tires, the bb measures 14.5" from ground to center. The 170mm '06 66 is about 22" from center to the top of the crown.

I chose the 66 over the Fox just to make it a bit more aggressive. I had an '06 Van R on my Heckler and it was super smooth right out of the box. Being a DC convert, it didn't give me the same confidence as a my old Super T. It felt more like a big, smooth XC fork.

I was a bit dissapointed in the 66 at first but it seems to be smoothing out. It had a ton of stiction and you could feel the stick/slip while it compressed. I don't have many rides on it yet due to the weather but I think it wil continue to get better and feel great after a few hard summer rides. Fingers are crossed.

Only issue I've noticed is the front der hits the pivot on drive side during the last half inch of stroke on the shock. Anyone else notice this. It's a XT front der. Only happens in the small ring. Anyone else notice this?

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Ascentrek said:
I will be hitting more backcountry rides with this rig, but want the ability to take some hits (porcupine rim, Amasa back, etc). I love the feel of the 888, and figure the 66 will feel similar.

Your opinions are crucial monkeys!
Ascentrek, you might also consider a 66SL. I picked one up in early January, and I'm liking it alot. All the stiffness of a 66 with the weight of a Z1 [5 1/2 pounds], and the ability to adjust the travel, even below the stated 150mm. It feels like a coil sprung fork.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Renegade said:
Ascentrek, you might also consider a 66SL. I picked one up in early January, and I'm liking it alot. All the stiffness of a 66 with the weight of a Z1 [5 1/2 pounds], and the ability to adjust the travel, even below the stated 150mm. It feels like a coil sprung fork.
Renegade,
Can we hook up for a ride sometime? Perhaps a White ranch gig? I'd like to check out the 66sl... sound just about perfect.

Do they make the 66SL in a 170mm version?

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Ascentrek said:
Renegade,
Can we hook up for a ride sometime? Perhaps a White ranch gig? I'd like to check out the 66sl... sound just about perfect.

Do they make the 66SL in a 170mm version?
Is white ranch rideable right now? I believe that I have a few hours to myself so to speak saturday morning. [The wife is going for a road ride]. The SL is a 170mm fork. The different travel settings are achieved by increasing the air pressure in the negative air chamber. As I said, allthough Marzocchi says it's a 170-150mm fork, you can bring it down to 130mm if you want to. Here are a couple pics with the fork set at 150mm. Allthough I don't have a lot of hours in on the fork, I feel that it is at least as stiff as my super T.

My apologies for hijacking this thread.