Quantcast

Nomad Freeride...

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Kanter said:
How do you like the gravity dropper?
I love it, I can't imagine riding without one. I bought the three inch model in 2004 when I still had an ASX, then transfered it to the RFX. In '05 I changed over to the four inch model, and I just recently added another detent position to the four inch post. For trail riding with varying terrain, it just rocks. It's been very dependable, I just grease it twice a year. For anyone who may be considering one, the remote operated version is the way to go, IMO.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Renegade,
I'm headed to WR in a few minutes (12:30pm, Saturday).

I put my 888RC on the Nomad for comparison differences. its a 200mm fork, but it does have some soft springs. This should be interesting none-the-less. I'll post pics later.

the BB height with the 888RC is 15.25 inches. We'll see how she climbs.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Inkhell said:
Yeah. It's the RC2X. Good to know it will smooth out.
Ink,
I travel to the twin cities quite a bit, plan on being there a lot in the summer. We'll have to hook up and do some rides up north around Duluth.

A

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Well, the 888 did awesome on the Nomad. It was a tad tall, but the bike was much better in the lines of handling. I think the 66 170mm would be the way to go.

Inkhell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Golden
Ascentrek said:
Ink,
I travel to the twin cities quite a bit, plan on being there a lot in the summer. We'll have to hook up and do some rides up north around Duluth.

A

Sure...drop me a note. Spirit Mtn by Duluth has some great riding.

I tuffed out the cold and rode the Nomad on a local trail yesterday. Homemade studded Michy Comp 16 & 24. They weigh about 5 pounds a piece but hook up well on ice. Anyway, the Nomad with the 170mm 66 seems to pedal better and feels quicker than my Heckler with a 36 Van on it. Hard to get a good feel due to the hardpacked snow and ice but a good first impression. Geometry feels very similar to my '04 Foes Fly but much lighter and more trailable.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Ascentrek said:
Well, the 888 did awesome on the Nomad. It was a tad tall, but the bike was much better in the lines of handling. I think the 66 170mm would be the way to go.
You put a 200mm 888 on your Nomad? Watch you dont snap your headtube off. Especially if its the taller 04/05 model.

On many light duty freeride bikes, 170mm is the max you should go, however maybe the Nomad is different. I know on my SX Trail, it comes with a sticker on it, mentioning not to put a fork taller than 170mm on it.

Just my .02

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Ascentrek said:
Renegade,
I'm headed to WR in a few minutes (12:30pm, Saturday).
Ascentrek, sorry that we didn't hook up this weekend. I had hoped to hear from you before the end of friday; I cut myself off from the internet on weekends. I ended up going to hall ranch as it was closer to my wifes roadie activities that day, we came into town together.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Netguy said:
You put a 200mm 888 on your Nomad? Watch you dont snap your headtube off. Especially if its the taller 04/05 model.

On many light duty freeride bikes, 170mm is the max you should go, however maybe the Nomad is different. I know on my SX Trail, it comes with a sticker on it, mentioning not to put a fork taller than 170mm on it.

Just my .02
I don't think it will hurt at all. The big problem is total axle to crown length, and we know that a last year 66RC is taller than an 8 inch travel fox...

I'm not out doing massive hucks with it, just checking it out. Honestly, from a physics point of view, the Double-crown would be stronger for the system anyway. Besides, the Nomad's Headtube is probably stronger than my Bullit's.

my .03 (inflation)