Quantcast

Nomavy (Nomad + Avy DHS) Pics and write-up

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So my Nomad came with the DHX Air which, after riding it several times on lift-serviced DH terrain, shuttles, etc. just doesn't cut it (but that's another thread...something like "Weaksauce Fox DHX Air"...hahaha). For the record I did NOT want the air shock, but at the time, that's pretty much all you could get.

So somehow I learned that the Avy DHS on my retired 02 Turner DHR has the same eye-to-eye length as the DHX on the Nomad. A quick look on the avy website and a call to Craig later I order the hardware to mount up the Avy on my Nomad. The fit was perfect. Then I lucked out on mounting the remote reservoir, placing it between the cable stops with the help of the adjustable collar from the DHR. Sweet! :happydance:

So how's it ride? Well...in a word...Perfect. It feels like it should. The bike now handles everything well. The rough, the turns, the fast, the big, the jumps all feel WAY better. Not to mention feeling much better matched to the 66RC2X.

What's the weight difference? Well, I didn't have my shipping/crack scale handy so I could only weigh it on the bathroom scale. It looked like the DHX Air weighed about 1lb. and the Avy (ti spring and all) weighed about 2.25lb. Take it for what it's worth.

For those who know me, you already know I've been riding the Nomad like a DH bike. This bike (matched with the avy and 66) does not disappoint! Taking runs at Keystone I can pretty much keep up with the boyz on their big bikes until it comes to the super-fast rough stuff. But other than that this bike rules! Way too much fun! It's like a DH bike but 10lbs lighter and you can pedal uphill! Imagine the possibilities....

A few pics...(sourced from Putfile)

The Nomavy in All-Mtn action. Sorry no Nomavy DH pics. Too much fun to stop and take pics!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well if it works for you, then very cool. i'd want to get the hose length cut down a little though. hell i'd love to try that bike out

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
Nice looking rig! BTW, how does the DRS work on the bike? Is the chain line still good? My buddy has an LRP on his bike, but the added space of the arm on the BB makes the middle ring to 34 rear a bit stretched.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Pretty sick dood!

What size is the shock?
Did craig have to revalve or modify how it bolts on?
I ask b\c craig told me it would not work about 3-4 months ago.

its a 216mm shock or 8,5" depending if you feel modern or colonial.

that setup is hot hot hot.

in case you start using it more for all mountain, you could look into getting the new compression adjuster so you can set it up for near platform shock pedalling prowess.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
its a 216mm shock or 8,5" depending if you feel modern or colonial.

that setup is hot hot hot.

in case you start using it more for all mountain, you could look into getting the new compression adjuster so you can set it up for near platform shock pedalling prowess.
Not to be combative, but isn't the whole point of VPP/DW link/Maestro that the suspension design cancels out pedal bob and would be most effective with a non-platform shock? I think I remember DW posting something along those lines and that they were shipped with platform shocks because that's what the mtb population was currently latched onto as far as "peformance" and "quality."

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
YES, have the hi/low on my bmw. what a freakin difference

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Not to be combative, but isn't the whole point of VPP/DW link/Maestro that the suspension design cancels out pedal bob and would be most effective with a non-platform shock? I think I remember DW posting something along those lines and that they were shipped with platform shocks because that's what the mtb population was currently latched onto as far as "peformance" and "quality."

yea of course the point with these advanced suspension setups is to do the work the shock has to do on single pivots (altough im also of the idea that they are structurally more efficient) but that doesnt mean theyre perfect, the point i was trying to make WASNT one along the lines that he would need this separate LS comp feature, but to inform about it IN CASE he felt he could have use for it, after all, its 6,5" travel bike, with a full on dh shock, i have never ridden it (although id love to!) but i cant help but think that for some applications it could benefit (not precisely NEED, but BENEFIT) from choice in the compression damping area.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Pretty sick dood!

What size is the shock?
Did craig have to revalve or modify how it bolts on?
I ask b\c craig told me it would not work about 3-4 months ago.
No modification on how the bolts go on, just adaptor hardware for a SC. Real simple, real clean. Yeah, when I talked to Craig, he was using a size small Nomad to check for clearance. This is a large frame and as you can see has plenty of clearance.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Nice looking rig! BTW, how does the DRS work on the bike? Is the chain line still good? My buddy has an LRP on his bike, but the added space of the arm on the BB makes the middle ring to 34 rear a bit stretched.
The DRS works really well actually. But it was a huge pain to set up. I don't even think I have it set up 100% correctly, but it works. The chain always stays on and it always shifts, and shifts precisely at that!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Thanks for the compliments gents! It rides better than it looks! LOL

On the whole anit-bob suspension/LS Compression thing....I can't notice any movement when doing seated climbs, if there is any its very minimal. Out of the saddle, I don't really know. I think I've looked down a few times and it was either very minimal or non-existant. But thanks for letting me know that's an option! Honestly if I ever need pro-pedal or something like that (for long XC/All-Mtn/Enduro riding) I'll prolly just swap back to the DHX Air.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
DHX Air? I thought you were swapping out the Avy for a nice solid steel bar, seeing as you don't really need suspension up in SFSD...
:p

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Parts, get the medium, smoke a j & repeat.
BTW, you should head to Mammoth this weekend and do some runs with us!

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Doing the condo thang.
Driving friday after work (6hour drive starting at 4pm....ouch!)
Heading back Monday
6 hours... damn... 5 hours from me, still a decent drive.. i m keen as mustard mate, but i need to save some $$$... i m off to australia for 4 - 6 weeks at the end of next month...

get yaself and ciaran up here sometime... the beer supply is running low... think sooner rather than later :)

have fun up there... wish i could wheel it..

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
When the shock needs a rebuild, have Craig add the hi/lo adjustment. It is soooo nice. Also you could shorten the hose to 2" and turn the connection 180 degrees and mount the reservoir in front of the shock.