Quantcast

Non MTB related

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG IAMS!!!

Besides the fact that Iams uses artificial preservatives like Ethoxyquin, BHA and BHT which are known CARCINOGENS in their foods and animal byproducts ie:diseased pieces of skin, hair and beaks from chickens and other animals... this is the latest news on their evil ways.......

http://www.peta.org/feat/iams/

:angry:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by JOJO
DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG IAMS!!!

Besides the fact that Iams uses artificial preservatives like Ethoxyquin, BHA and BHT which are known CARCINOGENS in their foods and animal byproducts ie:diseased pieces of skin, hair and beaks from chickens and other animals... this is the latest news on their evil ways.......

http://www.peta.org/feat/iams/

:angry:
That is horrible!!

My one question is... Do we know that the other food Co.'s are any better? What about Science Diet?

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
I can answer a few of these questions from my experience working in a natural pet food store.

The worst offenders are:

Science Diet
Pedigree
Purina
IAMS
Eukanuba
any other grocery store type of brand

The better foods are:
Candidae (Felidae for Cats)
Wellness
Natural Balance
AvoDerm
Nutro (ok...)
Solid Gold
Pinnacle
California Natural
Precise
Wysong

and a few more

Avoid anything that says: Ethoxyquin, BHA, BHT, Poultry Meal, Meat Meal, Byproducts.

It is also good to avoid foods with Corn, Wheat and Soy

The better foods are:
Wellness
Natural Balance
AvoDerm
Nutro (ok...)
Solid Gold
Pinnacle
California Natural
Precise
Wysong

and a few more

Avoid anything that says: Ethoxyquin, BHA, BHT, Poultry Meal, Meat Meal, Byproducts.

I tried quite a few of these (JOJO recommended them to me before).

Our cats just LOVE innova the best! I think the avoderm was their next favorite.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
FYI, Eukanuba is made by Iams. That's what my Foster was getting.

Anyone know anything about Max Cat? I've heard it was good, but my cat isn't too keen on it.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I can answer a few of these questions from my experience working in a natural pet food store.

The worst offenders are:

Science Diet
Pedigree
Purina
IAMS
Eukanuba
any other grocery store type of brand

The better foods are:
Wellness
Natural Balance
AvoDerm
Nutro (ok...)
Solid Gold
Pinnacle
California Natural
Precise
Wysong

and a few more

Are ANY of those "good" ones available at the local pet store/PetSmart?

Surly

Chimp
PetSmart carries Solid Gold (also known as Hundenflocken). It's good stuff. I was feeding my dog an all raw diet for a while, meat combined with vitamins and Sojourner Farms, but it got to be too much work.
I've since switched to the Solid Gold w/ raw meat supplement once a day, and the doggie loves it. They also make a Vegan dog food for those who are ethically opposed to supporting any kind of livestock industry...whatever...

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
I realize that this thread is non-mtb related but can it be moved to the Mountain bike Lounge so it will get more exposure? There are many pet owners that will be outraged when they read this.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Why avoid poultry meal? According to this website, "Chicken meal is considered to be the single best source of protein in commercial pet foods."

We feed our cats Innova by Natura. They claim to be the "Healthiest Pet food in the World." It's expensive as hell, but nothing but the best for our babies! :)

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=inn-home

BTW, BOOOOOOOOOO IAMS!!!!!!! :mad:
Chicken Meal, Lamb Meal, Beef meal etc are fine.... but when it says poultry meal or Meat Meal you have no idea what animal protein your getting in that food. The ingredients should specify the specific animal the protein is coming from.

Innova is a great one i forgot to add:)

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by spincrazy
FYI, Eukanuba is made by Iams. That's what my Foster was getting.

Anyone know anything about Max Cat? I've heard it was good, but my cat isn't too keen on it.
There are much better foods out there.

If you can cook for your pet or feed him/her a raw food diet you are doing the absolute best thing for your animal.

I went to a talk given by a holistic vet tonight and it was incredible. She really pushed raw food diets, but you have to make sure the meat is free range/organic. If you dont have time to do this there are a few companies that package frozen, raw foods. They are Steve's Real Food, Farmore (all hormone, antibiotic free meat), Raw Advantage, Natures Variety and a few more i am not familiar with.
Email me if you gave specific questions, I would be happy to help:D jojo@ridemonkey.com

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by -BB-
Are ANY of those "good" ones available at the local pet store/PetSmart?
I know for a fact that Nutro is. We've been feeding our boys Nutro Natural Choice for 2 or 3 years now. I'll have to go home and take a look at the ingredients. :(

Jojo: will the ingredients list "BHA" or "BHT" or are those abbreviations for something?

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by BikeGeek
I know for a fact that Nutro is. We've been feeding our boys Nutro Natural Choice for 2 or 3 years now. I'll have to go home and take a look at the ingredients. :(

Jojo: will the ingredients list "BHA" or "BHT" or are those abbreviations for something?
They are abbreviations for Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) but the ingredients should give the abbreviated version. Ethoxyquin is the one you will see most often.

Nutro does not use these preservatives. It is one of the "better" foods out there;)

Mecannoman

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
hovering
We use Royal Canin's SENSIBLE CHOICE cat food. It's more expensive than grocery store food, and our cats prefer it. Their demeanour has improved since; however it doesn't prevent them from depriving us of sleep...:o:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
we feed our cats nutro natual choice too. one of oour cats has a very irritable belly and it is the only thing he can eat. we bought iams the other day because i hate having to stop at petco and iams made him sick. i am glad to find out about this. thanks.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Innova is what Foster gets now. It's human food based and natural. I also picked up some wet food for him as well, same story.

I recently found a "Wholistic Pet Food store" near me and they had tons of good info. Cat's and dogs are carnivores, ie. don't give them too much fish, they need the same types of food as humans.

Many dry foods give many pets bad breath. If your pet has really bad breath or gas, switch to wet foods.

goosemagoo

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Virginia Beach, VA
My vet reccomended Nutro Natural Choice foods. My dog loves it. Plus, there is little undigestible material resulting in MUCH MUCH smaller landmines around the yard. When I have to feed him cheap food the landmine size almost doubles.