Quantcast

Noob with a new bike

slodsm

Chimp
Apr 12, 2004
Jacksonville NC
Whats up all? I just got back into bike in over 12 years and wanted to ask a few questions. First, I just bought my first MTB, got a Trek Fuel 80 2003 model from a friend at work for 800 with around 6 miles riding on it. We are military and he bought this new one after we returned from Iraq last August only to ride it around the base once and then get the call to head to Africa where we have been ever since. So basically I got a brand new bike. I have not ridden hard since I rode BMX in the late 80's early 90's so I am a bit out of cycling shape. Granted in the Marine Corp we run all the time though so not out of shape, just not used to pedaling. Anyway, first questions first. I plan to ride trails a lot, nothing stupendous but there are some decent trails built and maintained on the base with mid sized doubles and drop offs. I also like to make it out to the national forest and trail ride sometimes. Aside from that, it will be my transportation during the week about 4 to 5 miles each way, nice and short perfect for me to get some energy up early and get rid of one of my car payments. What I am asking is are their any modifications that can be performed to lighten the bike up some and make it sturdy enough to where I don't have to worry about breaking it when I ball it up on a trail and I know I will. Any help would be appreciated and sorry for writing War and Peace as my first post.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
if it's your first bike for a while I'd say just ride it the way it is. Once you start breaking things you'll know what needs to be replaced. That bike is going to be pretty light weight by most standards, swapping out parts to make it lighter will usually make it weaker. I'd be somewhat worried if you are jumping big doubles and riding off small cliffs repeatedly but from what it sounds like you should be just fine on that bike for at least the first year. Once you get more into riding you'll know more what you like and don't like about the bike and what to upgrade or when to sell it and get something new.

BTW you got a screaming deal on that bike.

zenstox

Chimp
May 7, 2004
San Mateo, CA
Welcome back! I'm Army. Got back from Afghanistan last September. Good to be home. I just bought a Specialized FSR Stumpjumper frame and have decided to build the bike from there. Ougt to be an adventure. Cheers