Quantcast

NORBA hates you! tee-shirts: Who printed these?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The MSC series is a good one too!
Fun facts about the Mountain States Cup:

1. Sanctioned by USA Cycling Mountain (NORBA)
  2. As of February 15, four of the events are on USA Cycling's National Racing Calendar - Chile Challenge, Blast the Mass, Full Tilt in Telluride and The Keystone Climax.
  3. This year's Chile Challenge will also serve as a National (NMBS) for DH and 4X. Don't miss this one as the best riders from each series meet in New Mexico.

Could this be indicative that USAC finally recognizing a race model that works well, makes sense, and racers actually ENJOY going to? We'll see...

Other fun facts to entice you to racing the MSC:
  1. Bigger purses! MSC is giving away over $40,000 in cash and a total prize purse of over $125,000!
  2. New for this year; the rebirth of a legend: The Roostmaster, brought to you by Fox Racing Shox. Pitting Endurance and Gravity honches against one another in an exhibition event - a true test of fat-tire supremacy. Racers from juniors and beginners through seasoned Pros will have a chance to compete for the title of Mountain States Cup Champion.
  3. "Best Overall Rider" awards. Inspired by the all-around performance of Team Maverick, we're offering 4 categories (Endurance and Gravity Men and Women) for the 2007 series. Sport, Clydes, Experts and Pros are eligible and it's a straight points competition. There are frames from Maverick, Santa Cruz and Yeti on the line.
  4. Lots of new sponsors! Accelerade, Control Tech, Dale’s Pale Ale, DT Swiss, e.thirteen, Fox Racing Shox, Hayes, Kenda, Manitou, Maverick, Mountain Bike Magazine, Rocky Mountain Roastery, Santa Cruz Bicycles, Shimano, Smith Optics, Sun Ringle, The Fix Bikes, Thomson, Titec, Vast Action Photography, Yeti Cycles... should be some good schawg to go around.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Well that is one thing Not Norba Anymore has done right,
intrusting the promoters of the MSC to have their series involved.
Maybe a good start in the right direction. But, COMEON-!
Nationals should be up to higher standards than any other race series in the country period.
Look at BMX - Nationals are usually ran in a more professional Manner than a state championship and at the better courses the country has to offer.
I just think mtb racers who attend nationals deserve a good effort from the folks puttin it on.
The guys puttin on the races in CO are doin it for the right reasons,
that make for a good series- they care about the riders experience- probably because they ride, and its not for the $$ so much, these guys
think ahead, come prepared and in my experiences ran very smoothly.
Unlike many experiences with Nationals I have seen happen or lack there
of usually. Not prepared, always behind runnin practice, examples thoughout, on and on.
I don't want to see the sport grow too much like skiing with people all over
the trails -but everyone can't DH anyway -
But I would like to see the Governing Body treat it's members in a way that the experience "Of Racing" a "National Event"- Would be at least good enough to keep
enough people participating at the events to not only keep the series going.
But well enough that more than a handful of "Professional" Riders could earn a living racing in the series.
Therefore, giving that beginner at the start of his first race, a true goal at becoming a pro some day!
I don't race for the money for sure, but if I just liked riding my bike I wouldn't spend a ****e load of money traveling to what at least used to be
cool places, and what used to be visiting with my national friends, which now is few because we've slowly all been killed by NORBA

DirtDivaDH

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
Beautiful Moorpark, CA
I agree with many of you that we should put a positive spin on things. I also want to get the attention of racers all over who have felt neglected by the governing body designed to propel our sport. A group of us will be handing out free shirts to every single racer at Firestone, which is an amazing venue. This race has been recognized as a National XC, but not DH. If you have any good suggestions for a positive slogan, I am all ears....

poop mentioned civil disobediance; although this may not immediately change any behaviors or actions, it may alter a few mindsets. Downhillers are just as committed to thier sport as an XC rider or roadie. It seems as though NORBA and Big Bear view us as young punks who will eventually just go away. My hope is that we can let them know that we can unify, that we are committed to our sport and each other, and that we are here to stay. Just look at how DH clothing has infiltrated into XC gear. Hopefully Decline will get a shot of everyone wearing the same jersey, all hoping for some recognition from race promotors.

Any ideas????

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
it's amazing.

all the energy.
ever increasing bike technology.
all the good young riders who's numbers are increasing every year.
95% of all photographs.
100% of all marketed videos.
on line chatter on forums everywhere.

all coming from downhill/freeride/dirt jumping.

and we're so much dirt under their feet.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I agree with many of you that we should put a positive spin on things. I also want to get the attention of racers all over who have felt neglected by the governing body designed to propel our sport. A group of us will be handing out free shirts to every single racer at Firestone, which is an amazing venue. This race has been recognized as a National XC, but not DH. If you have any good suggestions for a positive slogan, I am all ears....

poop mentioned civil disobediance; although this may not immediately change any behaviors or actions, it may alter a few mindsets. Downhillers are just as committed to thier sport as an XC rider or roadie. It seems as though NORBA and Big Bear view us as young punks who will eventually just go away. My hope is that we can let them know that we can unify, that we are committed to our sport and each other, and that we are here to stay. Just look at how DH clothing has infiltrated into XC gear. Hopefully Decline will get a shot of everyone wearing the same jersey, all hoping for some recognition from race promotors.

Any ideas????
Nobody's gonna trip if you print more Norba Hates You shirts. Not even Norba. They are out of it. Seriously, that is the problem. However, I believe if you want to draw collective attention to something for a positive change, you should draw attention to the thing you want and not the thing you don't want. I would suggest brainstorming for powerful and positive t-shirt slogans.

Maybe:

"I f*cking love my governing body, because my governing body f*cking loves me!"

or:

"Thank you Norba!"

No sarcasm intended.:pirate2:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Shirt idea

Front:
I'm the Dirtbag DH'r keeping racing alive....
Back:
....and NORBA still hates me

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Most people have forgotten why they hate Norba at this point or don't know why they are supposed to hate Norba but they do.......i know i was sick of hearing about it a long time ago, its just bike racing for crying out loud..

.....just be thankful you have the health and freedom to even do it, if you want to...

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Most people have forgotten why they hate Norba at this point or don't know why they are supposed to hate Norba but they do.......i know i was sick of hearing about it a long time ago, its just bike racing for crying out loud..

.....just be thankful you have the health and freedom to even do it, if you want to...
I don't agree. I don't think anyone on this thread has has even said "I hate Norba." The common theme in this thread seems to be "why does Norba hate me, and what can I do about it?" A call to action and an open dialog is never a bad thing.

I don't hate Norba. I have spent a huge amount of time and money traveling all over the country to race Norba races. I have had a great time riding my bike and being with friends. That said, I have also been repeatedly underwhelmed, disrespected, and mistreated by course builders, organizers, and race officials at almost every race. The point is that there is a lot of room for improvement, and I'm eager to see our Nationals be the awesome events that they can be.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
. . . . . Firestone, which is an amazing venue. This race has been recognized as a National XC, but not DH. . . . .
. . . . . . It seems as though NORBA and Big Bear view us . . . . . .
The Firestone Classic will be a National DH event, see link below containing the National Gravity Calendar.

It seems that you need to realize that there will be races holding a national DH race and not a national XC race. Also that NORBA no longer exists, and that that TBB has nothing to do with Firestone.

http://bluewolfevents.com/downloads/tbbnews.pdf

Last year there were 5-6 DH nationals, this year there are 20.

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/mbnc/MTBNatzCalendar_Gravity.pdf

It seems to me that things are getting better, at least we have choices now.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
that's a very good point, and that's precisely why i cutback on the races i was going to. i found out i was having a lot more fun riding with my buddies on the rad trails near our houses. more fun, less money, simple decision. anyone ever seen those surfing shirts that say "Surfing sucks, don't try it"? I'm not saying we need to deter people from riding bikes, but why is there this whole want for DH to blow up in the media and have tons of money. I'd like riding bikes a lot less if every time i went to a dh race or rode my favorite trails and i had to pick my way down the course through a bunch of yuppies. Keep DH racing a backyard sport with your buddies. i guess it's easier to say all this when your livelihood doesn't come from racing your bike.
FKNEH!!!! Best post I've seen on this site in a LOOOOOOONG while! last thing I want is MTB to turn into skateboarding or bmx'ing complete with poser 'style' attitudes, and what not....already seeing it here more every year and it pisses the f_ck out of me more and more.....I could just be getting old and bitter too though..... :)

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
last thing I want is MTB to turn into skateboarding or bmx'ing complete with poser 'style' attitudes, and what not....already seeing it here more every year and it pisses the f_ck out of me more and more.....I could just be getting old and bitter too though..... :)

Have you looked at Decline magazine lately? Its too late. But then again, I'm old and bitter too.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
The MSC series is a good one too! Hit a couple of those
up last season instead of No R bah nationals -
Just pleased with the effort the promoters put in more than the nationals.
things can only get better if promoters of nationals are held to some standard.
Especially when it comes to MTX, course design has killed the potential
of the sport! and when it comes to nationals they just suck.
Sorry BC Van I respect you and all but, you can't possibly enjoy what has been out there for courses in MTX for the most part. I can hang with friends and get that whole experience at local trails, races etc.
It isn't as fun to hang out with "national" friends when you have to pay for it.
I know you have tried to contribute to making some of them better,
and wanted to get paid well for it.
I tried to build the course in Sugar NC last year and they obviously didn't
care if it sucked or not, and Norba didn't hold them to it not sucking either.
I boycotted the whole series for the first time since 97. I went to MSC
in Colorado and had a much better time on courses that were petty good!
Your correct, I'm not happy with the Mountain Cross course's i have seen over the last couple of years, or slaloms for that matter, there have been a few fun one's but overall not what i would like to see....when i did my first couple of events with big jumps that was my vision for Mountain Cross....it has been watered down, no doubt, but i also think that the stuff i had built was a little overboard and scared a lot of people including myself....the watered down versions i think were done to encourage more riders to enter....it is time for things to get bigger and more fun.....i just don't see where the money is going to come from to justify building non permanent courses at nationals.
some of the post on here are good, i have a lot more respect for the rider who says, "i don't have fun at Norba's and i'm not spending my money to race ...i'm staying home doing my local races and having fun with my friends" then the rider who has on a i hate Norba t shirt and walks around the Norba event "saying i hate Norba, this sucks, but still is lined up for his start time."

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
The Firestone Classic will be a National DH event, see link below containing the National Gravity Calendar.

Last year there were 5-6 DH nationals, this year there are 20.

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/mbnc/MTBNatzCalendar_Gravity.pdf

It seems to me that things are getting better, at least we have choices now.
well, yes & no...

while Firestone is a part of the National DH calendar... it's not a part of the "true series" (i.e. NMBS National to declare an overall champ). the races (including the firestone race) are on the NMBS calendar as i believe it helps to count towards points to help determine riders for the World Champs selection... but I don't believe these points count towards declaring the NMBS champ at the snowmass finals... which you'll notice is in the middle of that calendar.

NMBS Series
(for downhill)
1. Fontana
2. Angelfire
3. Park City
4. North Carolina
5. Snowmass

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Have you looked at Decline magazine lately? Its too late. But then again, I'm old and bitter too.
nope, I only really read Bike, and I'll flip through dirt if it's sitting at a friends house....the few times I have seen decline it's exactly like you say, and I have no time for **** like that...