Quantcast

North Star suggestions?.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Hi all,

I tried to do a search for N*, but only one link showed up and it didnt show much.

Heading down in June, and am debating on whether to go thru the trouble of packing up the Fly to take down, or just rent a bike. This is the first time I've been there, so any suggestions for type of bike and tires would be appreciated. I remember that they had discos for rent down there, so I'm guessing a longer travel bike would be good.

Thanks in advance.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Long travel bike = GOOD. Renting a bike can be a bit costly, but I know that Olympic Bike Shop in Kings Beach (I think) has Demo 9s, Big Hits, and Geminis for rent; I think it's about $70 a day.

The terrain at Northstar is kinda tricky. It's really really rocky, but there are also lots of spots with deep, loose dirt. Probably more rocks than loose dirt though, so bring tires that'll work well in rough terrain.

Originally posted by dexterq20
Long travel bike = GOOD. Renting a bike can be a bit costly, but I know that Olympic Bike Shop in Kings Beach (I think) has Demo 9s, Big Hits, and Geminis for rent; I think it's about $70 a day.
OLYMPIC bike shop is in Tahoe City.
I know they have a gemini or two but they sold the bighit I think. I'm not sure if they are going to have Demo 9's or not but if you want me to check I can ask my friend who works there. Back country bike shop (Kona (stabs n' stinky's)) and Cyclepaths (RMX, Switch, V-10, Bullits) are both in the area and also demo bike.
I should also mention that I'm not sure if stabs and v-10 will be available. but I know their will be stinkies and bullits. maybe a VPfree if your lucky.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Originally posted by dexterq20

The terrain at Northstar is kinda tricky. It's really really rocky, but there are also lots of spots with deep, loose dirt. Probably more rocks than loose dirt though, so bring tires that'll work well in rough terrain.
Nice, thanks for the input. Sounds like my Fly should be right at home there then. I guess it will be worth the trouble shipping it down. Thanks again.