Quantcast

not the normall what frame tread.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i need a new frame really fast, coz my old frame is way too small for me. evident from the paint coming off from my top crown on my fork, the continues hitting of my knees on the top crown and multiple over the bar experiances.
i have been recomended the session 10 and vpfree from my lbs, but i sorta have my mind set on the commencal supreme dh. the reasons i dont like the other frames are, the session 10 has 10 inches of travel, way too much for my liking and i am worried its gonna be pretty heavy.(looking for sub 10lbs) and for the vp free coz it goes throught bearings faster then tires and its not really a pure dh bike.
this bike is for strict dh racing. i also got a big national meet coming up in 3 months so i gotta get used to the bike really fast. my old frame is a 03 s size bullit with a dhx 5.0. my riding style is more of hop jump and go around stuff as much as i can. i cant plowh through **** even if my life depends on it coz i am pretty light and cant carry my momentum very well that way. and the reason i dont have more mainstream bikes on my list is coz my budget is very limited, around 1.3k usd.
so my question is is there any other frame out there that you would recomend or do you have anything to say to change my mind or support my choice?
thanks.

oh yea, to the ppl thinking what the hell is wrong with me as i posted a tread about getting a m1 a while back is coz i decided that for the same price of that frame i can get a new supreme dh and didn't want to take the chance with online trading.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well if you dont want 10 inches of travel . Why not the Session 77. 7 inch travel bike there. But if your dead set ont the Comencial then i would say go after what your looking for. Dont settle for something just to get it a little faster if your not going to be happy with it

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the sunday is my dream bike but its too expensive. and on the session i have to change a new hub and crank set.:think: if its pretty light i wouldn.t mind it. hmm, the session 7.7 is more of a freeride bike isn't it?
so there aren't any other bikes that i should look into?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Not in the US at least. But they're so cheap it might be worth taking off what you don't want and selling it to get the frame. Similar geometry to a Demo 8 without the crazy linkage and 26" front and rear wheels for 2006. If I were to buy a bike right now that would be it (with some upgrades of course). It's called the Bighit III, you should check it out.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
dhkid said:
the sunday is my dream bike but its too expensive. and on the session i have to change a new hub and crank set.:think: if its pretty light i wouldn.t mind it. hmm, the session 7.7 is more of a freeride bike isn't it?
so there aren't any other bikes that i should look into?
Well the Bullit isn't much of a DH bike.

Get the VP-Free.

*Say no to Trek. How long did it take for them to get into the "market"?

...and they're from Wisconsin. The land of cheese.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Turd Ferguson said:
^^^Just no respect for the company.
They are actually good to deal with. Hell they've been around mountain bikes longer than most, if you wanna play those standards.

Too many small 'core' companies built on image and BS, these (finally) look like good bikes. Kiddies hate Trek like they hate 'the man'. The rest of us grow up and buy products for what they're worth.

static9

Chimp
Jun 17, 2004
Santa Cruz, Ca
if the bike is for racing, stay away from a bighit, or at least the older ones (being anything but 06) because of the 24" rear wheel. it'll accelerate like a fiend but your top speed will be much lower. i'd go with the VP myself.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
zedro said:
They are actually good to deal with. Hell they've been around mountain bikes longer than most, if you wanna play those standards.

Too many small 'core' companies built on image and BS, these (finally) look like good bikes. Kiddies hate Trek like they hate 'the man'. The rest of us grow up and buy products for what they're worth.
Alright man, I been here a while too. I remember when they wouldn't sponsor a race team(for years:90-95?). Lost respect for them then and they seem to rekindle these feelings with the DH/FR market. How long have they taken to produce?

If you're a Trek man--whatever. Now I know where your head is.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Turd Ferguson said:
Alright man, I been here a while too. I remember when they wouldn't sponsor a race team(for years:90-95?). Lost respect for them then and they seem to rekindle these feelings with the DH/FR market. How long have they taken to produce?

Technically no "team", but they have sponsored individual racers for YEARS. (Mio Suemesa et al)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
hmmm, no one has anything to say about the commecal? i though i would get used to it really easy coz its a single pivot...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Turd Ferguson said:
it's rediculous that this is the way you think...I'm buying a bike, not a freakin philosophy. I dont give a crap about companies giving charity to racers or not, especially 10 years ago. Kinda proves alot of bike sales in this 'scene' is about a popularity contest. There are so many salesmen on this site I can't believe people think this area of the sport is still so 'pure'.....some of the 'coolest bikes' are close to junk, but hey, as long as they employ someone cooler than me on their team it must be great....

Oh and in case you are wondering (probably not since your fixated on image anyways), i like the Session 10 because:
a) I like high single pivots with modified chainlines
b) I like progressive linkage-driven shocks
c) I like good frame construction (going from their Diesels and the pics i've seen so far)

only thing thats missing really is the floater, but there arent many bikes to choose from that offer the above, and NONE that i can buy at my LBS (oh exept fot the GT IT, but they're evil corporate bastards too). But you stick with your fashion choices, and I'll stick with mine....

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Bicyclist said:
Similar geometry to a Demo 8 without the crazy linkage and 26" front and rear wheels for 2006.
The Demo linkage is no more complex than that of a BigHit. It is still an FSR system with 3 moving pieces, but the shock is actuated with the lower bar instead of the upper on the Demo, that's all. And it is about time they got rid of that goofy-ass 24" rear.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
zedro said:
it's rediculous that this is the way you think...I'm buying a bike, not a freakin philosophy. I dont give a crap about companies giving charity to racers or not, especially 10 years ago. Kinda proves alot of bike sales in this 'scene' is about a popularity contest. There are so many salesmen on this site I can't believe people think this area of the sport is still so 'pure'.....some of the 'coolest bikes' are close to junk, but hey, as long as they employ someone cooler than me on their team it must be great....

Oh and in case you are wondering (probably not since your fixated on image anyways), i like the Session 10 because:
a) I like high single pivots with modified chainlines
b) I like progressive linkage-driven shocks
c) I like good frame construction (going from their Diesels and the pics i've seen so far)

only thing thats missing really is the floater, but there arent many bikes to choose from that offer the above, and NONE that i can buy at my LBS (oh exept fot the GT IT, but they're evil corporate bastards too). But you stick with your fashion choices, and I'll stick with mine....
Well, I'm surprised at you response. I mean floored. All this from an engineer that has put heart and soul(for lack of..) into developing a frame.

It has absolutley nothing to do with fashion.
Where did you get that anyway? Large corp's are fine(Specialized), it's not just the size that matters, right?

I recently lost alot of respect for Foes(due to several cs issues).

I have gained said respect for:IH, Shock Therapy, and many others that post here due to their obvious care and commitment.

These factors might not weigh your choices, but they say more than any ad could for me.

Btw, Trekstillsucks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think this would be a good time to create a Sticky for confirmed frame & shock weights...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
konabiker said:
Shandro's bike felt pretty damn heavy. That was probably because of the component choice though.
and it looked pretty damn ugly :angry:

he's a great guy, and i am sure that the bike rides well. i just cannot get over the looks. i am shallow and i don't race.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Turd Ferguson said:
Well, I'm surprised at you response. .....
well had you actually given a real reason or experience instead of just lobbing the "it just sucks" happy-fun ball into the discussion, I could respect the simple stance of not liking a particular company. But whats completly rediculous is expressing you think smaller of someone because they dont share the same brand-prejudice as your own, or at the very least, don't hate everything about them. It's all kinda juvinile calling me a 'Trek-man' like I've been taken by their evil control, possibly through stock options and an unrequieted love for corporate facist entities. I mean they all must be completly souless, because....well just because, and i bet they actually hate bikes and just drive around in their SUVs honking their horns and throwing coke-bottles at the knarcoredudes spinning on steel SS frames heading towards the dj's to see their bruthas after visiting granny for crumpets and RedBull. I mean, I bet the guy who designed it doesnt even ride and hates kittens and thinks Paul Anka's interpretations on 'Rock Swings' are way better than the soulfull originals....

if Trek offered me a job to design bikes for a living, I'd jump at it. I dont see why their designer would be any different from me....

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
zedro said:
well had you actually given a real reason or experience instead of just lobbing the "it just sucks" happy-fun ball into the discussion, I could respect the simple stance of not liking a particular company. But whats completly rediculous is expressing you think smaller of someone because they dont share the same brand-prejudice as your own, or at the very least, don't hate everything about them. It's all kinda juvinile calling me a 'Trek-man' like I've been taken by their evil control, possibly through stock options and an unrequieted love for corporate facist entities. I mean they all must be completly souless, because....well just because, and i bet they actually hate bikes and just drive around in their SUVs honking their horns and throwing coke-bottles at the knarcoredudes spinning on steel SS frames heading towards the dj's to see their bruthas after visiting granny for crumpets and RedBull. I mean, I bet the guy who designed it doesnt even ride and hates kittens and thinks Paul Anka's interpretations on 'Rock Swings' are way better than the soulfull originals....

if Trek offered me a job to design bikes for a living, I'd jump at it. I dont see why their designer would be any different from me....
Arg....100 character limit for sigs....doh.... ^^that's gold, pure gold..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm shaking in my tighty whiteys to get a chance to ride that trek.

I know it was designed by the terminator and not a real human, much less by the gnarcore set who decided they want to sell black core bikes but still...........

Anyone who can look at that frame's numbers and design and not see a potentially badass rollercycle is a turd. Be we knew that dint we?:blah:

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
zedro said:

Great response!(no really, I'm laughing my ass off right now)
All I said was I had no respect for the company, and you lost points for joining the team.

Man, you started taking offense and calling names from the start. Mostly I'm just funnin' you, but you really seem offended.

I'm sorry that I still don't like the company.
Might be the best designed bike in the galaxy, I still think they lick balls. Not in a gay way but in a manly Trek way.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
kidwoo said:
....Anyone who can look at that frame's numbers and design and not see a potentially badass rollercycle is a turd. Be we knew that dint we?:blah:
Yeah, on paper I'm sure the '77 is awesome as is the Liquid and the Deisel. I didn't say "it" was designed bad, I said that Trek is ran by a bunch of pillow biters. Get it right.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Turd Ferguson said:
Yeah, on paper I'm sure the '77 is awesome as is the Liquid and the Deisel. I didn't say "it" was designed bad, I said that Trek is ran by a bunch of pillow biters. Get it right.
Actually the 77 is pretty nice under my ass too. And off of jumps, and over rocks, between berms............ You wouldn't know that though because you're too core to be seen on one.......and hence an expert judge on what trek has yet to put out.

Tell me who's cool enough to buy bikes from. I apparently maintain the incorrect criteria. Geometry, overall design and execution etc.

You can use the pillow biter scale of course.

1= facing the general direction of a pillow

10 = swallowed the thing

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
kidwoo said:
Actually the 77 is pretty nice under my ass too. And off of jumps, and over rocks, between berms............ You wouldn't know that though because you're too core to be seen on one.......and hence an expert judge on what trek has yet to put out.

Tell me who's cool enough to buy bikes from. I apparently maintain the incorrect criteria. Geometry, overall design and execution etc.

You can use the pillow biter scale of course.

1= facing the general direction of a pillow

10 = swallowed the thing

15=apparently happily riding a 77

When Trek hits as big as the Sunday, your point might be valid.
(But I still would not like the company--which was my original point.)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Turd Ferguson said:
15=apparently happily riding a 77

When Trek hits as big as the Sunday, your point might be valid.
(But I still would not like the company--which was my original point.)
I don't own a trek. But I almost bought one based on some test rides. You however base judgement on a downtube sticker. Brilliant. I have my biases against a few manufacturers but I can at least give justification beyond a graphic and some whack insult based argument.

But again, you're back to your popularity stance.........

I've seen more problems with sundays than what trek put out last year. Weak wheels on the 77s, anything you personally know of that keeps them from approaching the sunday? I know, I know, they're popular so that's irrelevant.

Good to know your priorities I guess.

I suppose we don't need to go back and forth anymore. You've made your point and it's not like I'm maintaining any delusion of changing your mind..

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
kidwoo said:
I don't own a trek. But I almost bought one based on some test rides. You however base judgement on a downtube sticker. Brilliant. I have my biases against a few manufacturers but I can at least give justification beyond a graphic and some whack insult based argument.

But again, you're back to your popularity stance.........

I've seen more problems with sundays than what trek put out last year. Weak wheels on the 77s, anything you personally know of that keeps them from approaching the sunday? I know, I know, they're popular so that's irrelevant.

Good to know your priorities I guess.

I suppose don't need to go back and forth anymore. You've made your point and it's not like I'm maintaining any delusion of changing your mind..

Maybe Trek's cs is outstanding, I don't know.
I know DW will bend over backwards to help a brutha out.

As far as changing my mind, I would hate to eat my words,
so tell me why it took Trek so long to get on the wagon?

...and since when was it a bad thing to judge companies based on how they respond to the market I support?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Brian Peterson said:
Hmmm... Remember when Iron Horse was just another big company trying to get into the FR/DH market?

Brian
Ironhorse isn't a very big company :confused:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Eh, each their own. It should come down to what the product is about from an objective perspective, but it's ok to let knowledge of the company inform a purchase. I don't know why someone would lose respect for liking Trek - it's not like they pay kids to swim for parts in the heat treatment tanks (like your uncle used to get you to dive for pennies in the pool) or are really that evil.

I think what you're really saying is that Trek lacks soul or just isn't core enough. Your call but those are pretty lame reasons to not buy bikes or lose respect for someone who does.

Hey DHKid, I love my vp-free but I don't see how you are going to get any of your choices for 1300 bills.