Quantcast

Not very common problem with servicing 5th element

darex

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
My friend gave me a 5th element to rebuild. He have bought it with not enough oil in the shock body. The IFP piston didn't move with quite a bit of pressure but finally I've blowed it away by pressurizing the shock through the bleed hole. So the overall performance of the shock was unknown when I got it. I have changed IFP piston and main sealhead o-rings. Motions of the IFP piston, rebound rod and shaft are smooth. I've used Silkolene Rsf Pro 2.5W oil for rebuild. Problem with the shock is that:

-rebound adjuster doesn't work
-rebound adjuster rod can't press adjuster knob with enough force as it should, so the adjuster knob can be easily unscrew from threads(then the rebound rod is going up and the shock leaks because o-ring doesn't seat in the shaft)
-the rebound is very slow
-there is too much compression

My suggestion is that something blocks a flow through the shocks circuit between a cylinder and reservoir .

I've rebuilded a few 5th elements before with no problems but I had similar problem with Swinger 6 way. I've fully dissembled it even reservoir and valve in it, blow some air through the channels connecting cylinder with reservoir then assembled and it worked.

I would like to know if someone has similar problem and solve it.

I have solved this problem. The problem was in rebound valving.

Last edited: