Quantcast

nothing on the vanglorious launch of NK's missle?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
They would have had better luck with an Estes. How many hundreds of thousands are they starving for their "missile" and "nuclear" programs? :disgust1:
How many Americans have poor healthcare because we need to have the largest military on the planet so we can kill a bunch of brown people every 10 years?

Two sides of the same coin. Not the same denomination, perhaps.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Why do you hate Freedom®?
So, serious question, because I don't know the answer. To everyone, not just you :)

What is worse? A tinpot brutal hereditary dictator from a very poor country spending all his money on weapons and starving the populace or the richest country in the world not being able to provide basic services that many other countries with smaller GDPs can do?

The first is a total asshole acting like you'd expect a total asshole to act. It's horrible, but it's expected. He's a dictator, right? Where does that leave us?

For the second case, you'd think a Christian (yeah, sure...) nation would have paid a little attention to that parable Jesus mentioned about expecting more from those who are blessed with more, no?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I totally agree with you. This has been my point a lot when we discuss things like human rights, indefinite detentions, assassinating our own citizens, etc... It's more than just a little hypocritical and morally bankrupt to expect countries to not act exactly the same way we do. We have no right to condemn others when we can't hold ourselves to the standard we espouse.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You agree with me that you don't know? :D

Because what happens in North Korea is an obscenity towards humanity, mostly due to the scale. I'd rather be dirt poor in America than be an average North Korean. At the same time, that's setting the bar extremely low...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
This is my consistent argument with those who oppose socialized medicine, education $$ and the like. Everything that the right hates is designed to benefit those who need it, while the stuff they love will benefit them and them alone. It is amazing how many idiots in uniform oppose socialized medicine...even after it is pointed out to them that they are living under a socialized medical system that for all its faults, works pretty well. Bang on Silver...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
This is my consistent argument with those who oppose socialized medicine, education $$ and the like. Everything that the right hates is designed to benefit those who need it, while the stuff they love will benefit them and them alone. It is amazing how many idiots in uniform oppose socialized medicine...even after it is pointed out to them that they are living under a socialized medical system that for all its faults, works pretty well. Bang on Silver...
Once you get past the socialized medicine, housing, clothes, education, food, recreation, travel, and vacations*, you realize that you're a 100% self made military man. It's easy to rationalize, you're being too hard on them.

*See JohnE's post below for extra clarification. I was mistaken here.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Vacations arent subsidized, fwiw. There are military rec areas, but many are open to the public too. But yeah, ironic that a pretty much fully socialized system supports a, well, I dont kow what our system is anymore...

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
How many Americans have poor healthcare because we need to have the largest military on the planet so we can kill a bunch of brown people every 10 years?

Two sides of the same coin. Not the same denomination, perhaps.
We may have the most powerful military but it is certainly not the largest. We are going through another round of personnel cuts and early separations/retirements again right now.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We may have the most powerful military but it is certainly not the largest. We are going through another round of personnel cuts and early separations/retirements again right now.
We certianly spend the most. By like, a sh*t ton.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241517&p=3769328&viewfull=1#post3769328

I seem to recall reading somewhere that we spend more in budget over runs than what analysts think North Korea spends on its entire military. I'll dig around and see if I can find that.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Vacations arent subsidized, fwiw. There are military rec areas, but many are open to the public too. But yeah, ironic that a pretty much fully socialized system supports a, well, I dont kow what our system is anymore...
Ah, I knew they were open to the public as well, because I had a buddy who tagged along with a military friend to the Cayman Islands on a time-share donation thing for military members. Was probably a private charity. I will go up and correct (not edit) my post, thanks!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Did I really need to explicitly state that I wasn't talking about manpower? I thought that was blindingly obvious.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its not the largest but wastes the most money:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
it's a shell game that allows for expediting of the next inevitable wave of cleared personnel to fill slots earmarked for civilian-only-staffed projects that pick up the perceived slack of a leaner/meaner collective

sideways.
mouth open.
public trough.
git some.
allahu akbar.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it's a shell game that allows for expediting of the next inevitable wave of cleared personnel to fill slots earmarked for civilian-only-staffed projects that pick up the perceived slack of a leaner/meaner collective

sideways.
mouth open.
public trough.
git some.
admiral akbar.
fixed