Quantcast

Nov. 9th Benefit for Mike Aitken

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
The 3rd annual jam at Rancho Relaxo will be put on to benefit Mike.

I think there is some guys that go on this forum who have been down in the past, get a hold of me because I could use a little help buffing out the trails.

A rep from Fox Racing will be there with product to help out.

Haro is kicking down some product.

QBP is kicking in some stuff.

High jump contest

Long jump contest

Food

Beer for those over 21, last year when the cops and paramedics showed up and there were underagers drinking , that wasn't too cool for me, please have a little respect for me and police yourselfs

Helmets

Please, no freakin downhill tires.

$20, and belive me, the fun you will have that is a bargain.

If you need more details, contact me or simply ask around. The group around eastern PA is tight and I'm sure through word of mouth you will get in the loop.

P.S. Please don't put my personal info or directions on the boards. I have had problems with unwanted people showing up at my house to ride my trails, some people don't get it.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Ted,
this sounds sweet and for a great cause!

if I can make it I will bring my quad! :twitch:

do you have a paypal set up for the money etc? or you just taking cash from peeps in attendance? Not sure what is up yet with the ninth... but sounds like a good time!

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Just a cash donation at the door so to speak and not sure about raffle for product/ t-shirts and stuff, maybe entry fee for high jump and long jump, we have also talked about a race on my pump track.

The reality is, when 60 people show up to ride and another 60 show up to hang out it gets a little hectic and most plans go out the window and we shred till dark.

You should definately come out though, good times for sure.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
A quick update for shout outs and sponsers for the event...

Thanks to Jim Dellavalle for getting the hookup with...

http://www.bernunlimited.com/

http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/index.html

http://www.mountaincycle.com/

http://www.e13components.com/

Jim is also working on Bubba Burgers :banana:

Thanks to Jay Dejesus for getting the hookup with...

http://www.ewrbikes.com/

http://www.foxhead.com/us/mtb/

http://www.harobikes.com/bmx/tab5.php

I'm blown away that it is more mtb kicking in than 20" but what the hell its all 2 wheels

The list of riders is sic, I might have to keep my bike in the garage to avoid embaressment!

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Were there some vids of this place posted elsewhere? I've been searching for 20 min.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Last years jam, some stuff is rebuilt, the 180 is concrete now and the uphill section is a table to back to back step-ups that seem to carry more speed than the old setup, actually this vid really only shows the high speed rythem section. I also have a seperate pump track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4U1LvX6zJjM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4U1LvX6zJjM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The trail sections of this vid were shot at my house, part on the pump track and part on the other trails... http://www.vimby.com/video/sports/us/all/detail/7842

Van put a flyer up on his site, its kinda cool... http://www.twobyfourstore.com/

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Wow that looks nuts. Colin told me about your trails a few times, especially the berm. I'll try to make it out.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Ted, Hurt my back:dead: and I am scheduled for an all day seminar on Saturday for work. I may still recruit a few guys from the area to make a last minute road trip out, but it isn't looking good right now! :plthumbsdown:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
eh..$20 is alot for someone I don't know and times are tough so I'm gonna have to pass.
:shocked: may I suggest you remove this post? if you think that way, I pray nothing ever happens to you, because with that logic you will never get help if you fall on hard times! we can all spare a few bucks to help Mikey out... he is a fellow cyclist who pushes the envelope with every pedal stroke!

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Ted, Hurt my back:dead: and I am scheduled for an all day seminar on Saturday for work. I may still recruit a few guys from the area to make a last minute road trip out, but it isn't looking good right now! :plthumbsdown:
Sorry to hear that, Its a long drive when your buckled.

Hope you find a way to make it out, its going to be one to remember.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
eh..$20 is alot for someone I don't know and times are tough so I'm gonna have to pass.
I absolutely agree with Brungman about Mikey Atiken but hell, I'd pay $20 just to look at and ride that concrete berm.

I know times are tough but really, $20 for an event like this? Big clap to TortugaTonta for letting people ride his place and putting this together.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I absolutely agree with Brungman about Mikey Atiken but hell, I'd pay $20 just to look at and ride that concrete berm.

I know times are tough but really, $20 for an event like this? Big clap to TortugaTonta for letting people ride his place and putting this together.
Hey, I don't know Mike personaly, but the guy could use a hand and I am in a position to help, so the way I see it is if I just sat back and did nothing, well thats just lame.

I am far from rich in terms of wealth, but I am fortunate to have a place that people like to come to and hang out, we all share the same passion to dig and ride, be it a 20", 24", 26" or double squish. Every year I meet new people and we hang and shred. Every year people ask when the next jam is and its not because I'm the cool kid on the block or that I have the biggest jumps, its because it is the day that they have the most fun on their bikes all year.

So yeah, nobody will complain about $20, cheaper than a movie and better food and entertainment.

Don, come on down, I promise your face will hurt from the perma-grin.

Oct 8, 2008
Maryland
I'm tired of donating money to people I don't know, I threw a considerable amount out to Tara and Stephen. I dare you judge me just because I want to stop now, nobody has helped me when I've been injured with no insurance. Anywho I've been to Ted's before and it's fun so enjoy the event!

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
I'm tired of donating money to people I don't know, I threw a considerable amount out to Tara and Stephen. I dare you judge me just because I want to stop now, nobody has helped me when I've been injured with no insurance. Anywho I've been to Ted's before and it's fun so enjoy the event!
Could've avoided the whole thing if that were kept to yourself. If you don't agree with contributing, then don't. But obviously this is a benefit thread. Words going against what is about and stands for won't be accepted the same as if this were an opinion poll. If it were my thread I would be bummed someone put that on here too. Again, if you don't want to contribute, don't contribute. But it was, and is, uneccessary to make a public display in a thread that is specifically for the benefit of someone who is down with severe injuries and the hopes for a quick and positive progression into a full recovery.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
We are getting some rain but right now sunday looks ok. The trails drain well and SOME rain will help, I just hope we don't get too much. Unfortunatly the newest line that looks hella fun hasn't really been ridden in so that might be the worst of it and if I have to I can plywood some bowls to keep it rolling fast.

The Fox guys are really steppin up with cool stuff as well as Bern helmets. We also have some lift tickets for Highland Park and some passes for Union Ramp Park and we are waiting for a package from Animal. Really at this point I can't keep track of everything people are throwing down but I will try to get a updated list of sponsers.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
it's also an open forum, enjoy!

As it is an open forum… I was recommending you remove that statement in the way of self preservation! You don’t want people (on an open forum) thinking you are a TOTAL douchenozzle do you? :clue: I am sure that your contributions to others are super appreciated (as a matter of fact more than you could ever know)... when any member of our 2 wheeled family is injured the love shows in many ways, whether it is monetary donations or well wishes... a denigrating statement on your part does nothing to help the situation! I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are a good dude. :thumb:

Oct 8, 2008
Maryland
As it is an open forum… I was recommending you remove that statement in the way of self preservation! You don’t want people (on an open forum) thinking you are a TOTAL douchenozzle do you? :QUOTE]

Unlike others on any forums these days I don't care what people think about me online OR in person. for not being employed in the industry I do alot for the mtb/bmx scene. Anywho no more bickering from me...unless someone keeps badgering. :monkey:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
WOW !! what an awsome day!

First I have to give major big thanks to a few people that really helped out, we had about 200 people show up and I think its no exageration to say there were 75 to 100 people riding.

Big thanks to Kenn from http://www.ewrbikes.com/ for all the help with everything, I can get very distracted and he really helped with a lot of the responsibility.

Huge thanks to Keith Murphy, sales rep for Fox Racing and Haro Premium Products, He brought soooo much cool stuff, I was blown away by his generosity, I am talking new Haro Premium Product pedals that are amazing, some really cool seats, Fox Pads, Fox shirts and helmets, literally so much awsome stuff we didn't know what to do with it all. Really if you are in the market for pedals you have to check the premiums out, super thin like the atom labs and their 09 bikes look super sweet.

Big ups to my brother from another mother ;) Jim Dellavalle and his brother paul for coming down a day early to help clean the place up and get it dialed, Also being that Jim is so loved in the bike community he was able to get tons off stuff kicked in, A set of white Halo rims, A ton of Superco shirts and stuff from them, Probably 6 bern Helmets which are definately the coolest helmets right now, they have a removable liner system that you can take out and wash when it starts to get funky as well as winter and summer liner, do yourself a favor and check them out. Animal also sent a box of stuff and Mountain Cycle.

Big thanks to Fletcher and Lou for donateing the keg, all the xc guys hangin out were happy to have that.

As allways thanks to Jay Dejesus for help getting stuff set up and getting people pumped.

Thanks to the guys like Dave Harms, Casey and his crew, Billy"the menace"King, Collin and Rod and all the guys that help to keep the trails running all year.

Big Thanks to Andy lowe from loweriders bikes and boards/union ramp park for kicking in a handfull of "all day session" passes to Union Ramp Park in westchester Pa, I was randomly handing them out to guys and they were all so stoked to get them, made me feel like santa.

Thanks to www.wetpaintfilms.com crew for hanging all day to shoot for a little webshow, I don't know when that will go up but it should be fun.

The riding, SICK!
where else can you see a train with Lars Tribus, Mike Gentilcore in full race pads, Collin Evans in capris shorts and Mt Perk Jay on a dh bike in the same train, just sic. the diversity of riders and styles was awsome, there were 30 rider trains going down all day, its amazing how many friends you make riding bikes!

The high jump contest was the best. Scotty 2Hottie from Dales Trails, Big Bob Brien and Collin Evans and old school Ralph were boosting really high airs and Collin being slightly higher than the rest but not by a huge margin, Collin asked me the rules, I said 3 runs, bottom of the back tire thats it, he said "does it matter how I get the tire up there" hell no, just get it high. He Boosted the highest backflip I have ever seen him do, even his front tire was higher than every bodies back tire. That sealed the deal! Then it turned into a trick show, Now keep in mind that there were about 75 xc riders hangin out drinkin beer, they have never seen this type of riding up close so they were goin nuts. Huge tire grabs, tailwhips, 360 turndowns, flips, it was on!

I hope to get some of the guys taking pics to post them up here or post links, I saw my buddy Jeff Lockwood there from www.dirtragmag.com with camera so I'm not sure if it was for personal or professional use.

So we ended up raising about 3,000 dollars for Mike, I just have to figure the food bill so we see exactly what we get out to his familly. Collin put me in touch with his GT team manager Chuck(I forget his last name) who is good friends with Mike, I will be able to get the funds directly to Mikes familly to avoid some of the account charges on the funds he has setup and also get a Fox Banner we had signed by a lot of the riders that showed up.

Thanks to everybody that showed up, Definately the funnest day of the year!

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Hey Ted:

Great day of riding thanks to you, Jay, Jim and the others who put all together for such a good cause.

I wish I had a backyard like you!

I should have rode more yesterday, but I did get some pics to share:

Richie loved that berm

lars

start the train

bye train

I got more will post later

Thanks for a great day

Rich

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Great berm shots Rich!

Hey I just set the date and supply the food and trails, Its the crowd that makes the party!

Hey, on a side note are you going to Highland this weekend? I might leave the compound this weekend to head up with Jim.

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
Cool video - that cement berm looks real nice, you have a nice setup. I am hoping I can get this berm looking good again this season... newborn won't allow me to dig as much this year, so we shall see.

Need to keep the motorbikes away and the dumb paintballers that trash everything.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Is that Don G. ? Haven't been there in years. I heard you guys have some mad flow goin on there, I would like to check it out this summer if thats cool.