Quantcast

now for something completely different, a 33 lb M-1

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
due to a forced semi-retirement from dh racing, and a desire for a plush trail bike, I thought I'd build up my m-1 with some xc parts. After this pic I added carbon monky lite bars, and the result is a legit 33 pound bike.

This thing is a blast in the woods, and I think I can get another pound or two out of it.....

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
The Kadvang said:
Lol. Pedalling it must be fun, no FD and how small of a front ring can you get on there?
Yeah, 34 tooth min or the chain saws thru the swingarm, with a 12-34 in the back, it's a little grunty up steep hills, but most of the stuff here is rollercoastery, so extra speed on the dh sure helps the hills..

And sometimes I walk...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The Kadvang said:
Those germans sure love their speedholes....
Yeah but they actually work!!! I can hear the air rushing through the holes in my frame which propel me faster down the hill...all I'm missing is rocket fuel.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Gotta call BS on that one. The M1 is light, but not 33 pounds light, especially with a DC. My Giant AC (absolute Crap) was 31, with lightish parts on it. Can't see that one bein 33.

Looks like a blast to ride though. I love taking my 9.5 through the trails. Scares the hell out of the XC guys too.

Best part was beating a guy on a Rocky ETS up a hill. The look on his face was worth it when i had to hide and puke from the exertion.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
narlus said:
what's the parts spec?

an M-1 frame w/ coil shock and DC fork is 33#? i'd check yr scale calibration if i were you.
I could see 33 but only because of the sketchy small tires and wheels.
Think about how much a DH tire, rim and tube weight?
I bet there is 8# savings just in the wheels.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
bhspec03 said:
umm a floater w/ a 4bar? purpose?
The quick answer is that it removes any braking interaction from the suspension, very noticably and effectivly, even on this m-1, which is probably the 4-bar you're referring to.

It's actually about the same improvement, no matter which bike..

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
narlus said:
what's the parts spec?

an M-1 frame w/ coil shock and DC fork is 33#? i'd check yr scale calibration if i were you.
The scale is correct, +/- 1/4 pound. I have 4 scales around here and check them regularly, as a designer I have to know...

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
buildyourown said:
I could see 33 but only because of the sketchy small tires and wheels.
Think about how much a DH tire, rim and tube weight?
I bet there is 8# savings just in the wheels.
Front wheel, about 800 grams, our hub (185 grams), sun ds-1 rim (400 grams), double butted spokes and spline drive aluminum nipples.

Rear wheel about 900 grams, Hugi 240 hub (270 grams) and same rim, spokes and nipples as the front. These are the lightest wheels I'm aware of, they came of my xc race bike. Throw in light tires and tubes, and I saved 6-7 pounds on the wheels over my pretty light dh wheels.

Figure in one 34 tooth chain ring, no fr der, shifter, bashguard or guide rings, just a very cutdown mrp boomerang to keep the chain on (much shorter chain), carbon bars, xtr (xc) cranks and rear der, 747 pedals and we're just about there. Oh and 6" discs fr and rear save about 1/2 pound over 8"

I can save about 100 more grams on the seat, and I've got a set of stan's aluminum discs laying around, it should get pretty close to 32 pounds...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
shock said:
Oh and 6" discs fr and rear save about 1/2 pound over 8"
For Real?!? there is a 1/4 lb difference between a 6" anf 8" rotor?

That is a very interesting bike indeed. Looks like fun though! What forced you out of DH by the way?

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Salami said:
/\ Weight weanie!!! :blah:
Yeah, but it's funny, when the xc guys see me show up with this sled, they just call me a retard...till I blast by on the downhill, then they call me an ahole....

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
BigMike said:
For Real?!? there is a 1/4 lb difference between a 6" anf 8" rotor?

That is a very interesting bike indeed. Looks like fun though! What forced you out of DH by the way?
Ok, well I'm rounding up, vitox has it as 90 grams, my scale says 92 grams, but you also save some with the smaller caliper adaptors. Some other discs are heavier, for example a 190 mm Magura is 16 grams heavier than a 203mm(8") Hayes....

As for my retirement, I had to have some vertibrate in my neck fused last year. 15 years of mx racing (and crashing) followed by 10 years of dh caused them to compress and started to amputate the nerves going to my upper body.

That would have been ok, but the fusion didn't quite take, so I still don't have my head screwed on straight, and my next hard crash could be my last, and that would take ALL the fun out of it...