Quantcast

nuther custom bike builder...

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
The 10-96 is in the making. Rickthewelder is a member who also welds for intense, and he made a frame out of the suggestions of the Urban/DJ board, 26'' bike with 15''(no, this is not a typo) chainstays and such. He's in the process of making another one with skull drop-outs, it looks rad. There is only one of each in the world, totally one off custom bikes.

He gave the 10-74 away, and I think he got paid to do the 10-96... I'll have to ask him.

SnowMongoose

Chimp
Mar 1, 2007
Bellingham, WA
Rick is the man.
As for MTBR as 'middle school,' funny, since the main use I am able to make out of RM is for the NW local FS/Wanted section.
(some good stuff here, but not enough traffic to make the rest of the forums worthwhile for me.)

DThomson

Monkey
Nov 1, 2004
haha thats my bike! i'll post some riding pics n' **** when i figure out how to..

The 10-96 will be finished soon. i'll keep everyone here posted.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
That is DThomson's pimpin ride. I actually had a chance to dirt jump on it a little bit. I like the way it rode. It felt very solid and had some good pop to it.

D gettin rad on the 10-74...

DThomson

Monkey
Nov 1, 2004
They are soo rad, if only everyone could see it in person. the frame weight is 3 pounds on the 10-74 and the 96

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
WHAT? Man, I could almost look like I could hop with that....
I invited Rick to come join us here, hopefully offer a little more insight. One of the few building custom AL frames!

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah, the entire process for that frame (both actually) have been well documented in the "urban/dj/park" forum on mtbr, we threw down input, and Rick welded it up! Solid!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Welcome aboard, Rick! Can we get some geo specs?
And I guess the only thing that I'm sweatin is the reliability of a 26 inch rim on a 110 wide hub... especially for hacks like me.
Also, any options available... like one thing I'd like to see would be a slight bash plate/grind guard on both the downtube about 6-8 inches up from the BB and on the sides/bottoms of both chainstays...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
thrillseeka, people have been running 26in rims on 110 hubs forever on nemesis project deathmobiles (in 26 in form) without any problems that i have heard of.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
What is up with those drop outs? They are some of the most overbuilt looking things I think I have seen. Yet they also look like some of the weakest looking things I have ever seen. There is so much leverage so far from the weld. It is unusual that this is the route taken on a bike so inspired by bmx since the current trend with bmx dropouts is to make them as small a possible.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
oh damn i am in heaven just knowing someone finally made a bike with such sweet specs funny cause if i knew how to weld i would totally build something similar to that!! ...too bad they aren't forsale yet....oh and yeah the dropouts are odd but they work with the orange!!!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
thrillseeka, people have been running 26in rims on 110 hubs forever on nemesis project deathmobiles (in 26 in form) without any problems that i have heard of.

That was going to be my next question, I thought he was doing that, but couldn't remember. Very good to know that it's a proven idea! Still, does someone make a fairly tall-flanged hub that wouldn't shorten the spoke length a bit? I've never really looked yet, so I can do my own research as well.
Now for price and availability...?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
That was going to be my next question, I thought he was doing that, but couldn't remember. Very good to know that it's a proven idea! Still, does someone make a fairly tall-flanged hub that wouldn't shorten the spoke length a bit? I've never really looked yet, so I can do my own research as well.
Now for price and availability...?
26" bmx cruisers have been doing it for I don't even know how long, decades... On top of the already mentioned Nemesis Project Deathmobile, Geekhouse does the same thing, as well as the new USB WCH (and that Volume Sledgehammer 26" bmx'er among others).

Flange height wouldn't need to be much taller on a bmx hub to be comparable to many mtb hubs. Some BMX hubs may have about the same (possibly more in some cases) spacing between flanges as a 9spd/disc hub, which has ridiculous amounts of dish and offset to make space for the wide cassette and ISO disc mounts.
Get a Macneil cassette if you're worried about it. As far as I know, they have one of the widest spacings out there... but it may be nice to know a few others too!
I don't think you have any worries.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Cool. I just know I love to hip things and I'm not always the smoothest about it. I'm also right in the middle of learning 180 bunnies, etc. And learning is always expensive! Put it this way... I'm running sun Double Tracks right now just so I can still ride the next day! Hard to mess up a wheel...if you can't get it off the ground!

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
I'd love to have a frame like that orange one.....perfect for street, because of the trials/dj geometry.....gap some stairs, and then hop back up them on your rear wheel.....that'd be so much fun! :thumb: