Quantcast

nutrition quesiton, post workout before bed

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I ride a couple of times a week after work. I get home from the ride between 8:30 and 9:00pm, have somethign to eat, relax for about 30 minutes, then go to bed.

I'm always unsure about how I should eat. On the one hand I want to have a meal high in carbs/protein to help my muscles recover from the ride, but I don't want to overdo it since I know I'll be going to bed soon. I generally have a ham and egg omlett (3 whole eggs) and 2-4 slices of whole wheat toast.

I'm curious what I should be targeting for carb/protein intake. I'm on a 2200 calorie diet (30% fat, 35% carbs, 35% protein).

Any tips would be great.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
That doesn't sound like a bad meal to me. I usually consume mass quantities of food after a long ride. I usually try and eat something balanced, carbs and protien. Having some gatorade right after a hard ride seems to help me recover too. In the Summer when I am riding 4 days a week I seem to be able to eat whatever I want and still stay lean at about 145-150lbs while taking in a lot of calories.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yea... I'm pretty good about my fluids. I usually get about 2 liters of water in my pack, and I go though the whole 2 liters on the trail. I drink about a liter of gatorade on the way home (usally mixed pretty strong). I've thought about having a protein shake when I get home instead of a meal, but I need something with some substance to keep me full though the night. Otherwise I wake up hungry every couple of hours.