Quantcast

NW Cup 1st Timers Special

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
New For This Race!!!---First Timer’s Special

Have a friend that has been on the fence about giving racing a try? This is the one to get them to. Any beginner (Cat 3) that hasn’t raced the NW Cup this year will enjoy a $30 entry fee. We have a local sponsor that wants to help us build the future of our sport and is subsidizing their entry. Hopefully that’s the “push over the cliff” your riding buddies need to give it a try. Just say “I’m a first-timer” at registration and we’ll get you set up.

IMPORTANT NOTE: USA Cycling does require Full Face Helmets

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
I'm sorry but they will only reimburse for Cat3's. If you're friend hasn't raced, maybe Cat 3 is a good idea?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
That is awesome, Scott! That would be enough motivation to push me over the edge if I was thinking of racing for the first time. Hope it gets them out there. Seems like the sport is growing at a decent clip on its own merit, but making it more approachable to the beginning racer is where it all really starts. PROPS!!!

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
We've had the idea for a bit, but no budget for it really. As soon as I can, I'll let people know who is subsidizing this to get them the credit they deserve. There is a bit of a groundswell of support coming from the town. No promises, but I hope to see Dry Hill become a little more accessable in the future.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
We've had the idea for a bit, but no budget for it really. As soon as I can, I'll let people know who is subsidizing this to get them the credit they deserve. There is a bit of a groundswell of support coming from the town. No promises, but I hope to see Dry Hill become a little more accessable in the future.
Hey Scott, as others said; great idea::D. Does the 30 dollar entry fee cover the Friday / Saturday Shuttle? Please get back to me on this asap.
thanks
bobh

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
$30 bucks for all three.

Also, as time allows, Casey and I are offering up a guided run down the course to help the new racers figure out the track. We will be busy, but would be happy to help when we can. Just ask at registration.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
$30 bucks for all three.

Also, as time allows, Casey and I are offering up a guided run down the course to help the new racers figure out the track. We will be busy, but would be happy to help when we can. Just ask at registration.
Actung-Kowabunga; time to rock and roll. I'll pass the word. Look forward to seeing you this weekend.

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
Well the first NW Cup First Timers event is in the books. It was fairly last minute, and not as organized as I had hoped, but overall it was a success. We had about 10 first time racers and they all did great. In fact three of them stood on the top step of their respective podiums, awesome.

There were several great stories from the group, but I wanted to share one in particular. Bo Masayuma all the way from Hawaii. Last year his buddy Sean Horita (also first time racer from Woodinville) and he went to Whistler for his first time mountain biking on a rental bike. He was stoked but went back to Hawaii and back to riding moto's as before. A year later he came over just for this race, put his bike together on Thursday (a new Yeti 303....lucky guy), showed up at the race with a brand new bike and brand new kit. The tires had never even seen dirt. I took he and Sean down a run to show them the track on Friday and saw them a couple of times over the next day and they were stoked. Come race day, he ran a 3:16 good enough for 1st in his class and 17th out of all the riders that rode that track (Cat2 and Cat 3 ran the same track this time!). He would have been in the top ten in Cat 2 for his age. Great job, and I'm pretty sure he's hooked.

Also Scott Funston won his class in the under 0-14 Cat 3 class. He was the second fastest first timer overall as well.

Janine Satterfield bested her class as a first timer as well.

We really look forward to expanding this program at future races so watch for it.

Thanks to everyone who came out. It was nice to have a nice small race so we could actually hang out a bit.

See you in July for the finals.

Scott

Last edited:

RRBFUN

Chimp
Jun 15, 2010
Thanks again Scott and Casey. Scott had a blast and will definetly be back for the finals. If it's OK we will do some clean up on the XC trails after Sat morning practice. Ron