Quantcast

NYC bike shops

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm heading to the city for the day soon and want to hit some bike shops. Any ones that stand out as being really nice? Any places where several are grouped together? Extra points if they sell Kona:biggrin:

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
NYC Velo seems like a pretty cool shop, though I don't have experience buying from them. It's very new. I've seen Kona's in the window. It's on the Lower East Side, 2nd Avenue around 1st Street, if I remember correctly.

NYC Velo is sorta close to a tried and true shop, Bicycle Habitat on Lafayette Street near Prince St. Not sure about the Kona's though.

Sid's Bike Shop on 34th St. between 2nd and 3rd Ave's is good too. (Not sure about the Kona's.)

And if you're up for a trek to Bay Ridge Brooklyn, you gotta hit up Bay Ridge Bicycles for a full-on Brooklyn experience from the owner and her sons. (Not sure about the Kona's. LOL.)

Enjoy.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
NYC Velo (2nd Ave betw 3rd & 4th St) is definitely a Kona dealer, and they're great guys, as well as supporters of NYCMTB. Sid's on 34th street is pretty great (and also a NYCMTB supporter)- lots of Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Specialized and Cannondale with a great selection of really high-end gear. If you're downtown, ask for Gumby at Gotham Bikes (Specialized, Cannondale). And if you're out in Queens, Peak Mtn. Bike Pro Shop in Douglaston is a Kona dealer, and owner Jerry is super cool (and he's dealing on the '06 Konas he has in stock, but also sells Giant and Jamis).

Unfortunately, there's no spot where you'll find shops bunched together.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I vote for Sid's, but you could visit A Bicycle Shop, which is the location of the first shop I ever worked for, Stuyvesant Bikes.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
SIDS on 34th and 2nd is the best shop in NYC hands down and better than any shop I have yet to come across.....I now live in Seattle and I recently bot a bike from them anyway and had them ship it.