Quantcast

<o~o>Saturday GTFU already<o~o>

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Where are you again? Maybe try putting out a call for help on Pirate 4x4, someone local may be able to get you sorted out.
Jeep is so new that hardly anyone (including dealers) don't have a clue what they are doing, tried several forums and groups and everyone is scratching their heads, worst part is there are hardly any stocked parts, diagrams, or part numbers for the specific stuff I need due to the last two mechanics messing things up.

One mark of a true professional in many things is to know when you are in over your head. Too many cocky cowboys just think they can figure shit out. This goes from surgery to construction, engineering, hell, even arborists and things like that.
That's exactly the issue, I think at this point I know more than most mechanics when it comes to this new of a rig and the parts involved. I feel confident I could do the work myself if I had a lift, shop press, and a few other tools specific to differentials but that's a no-go as well.

@Westy

I am going to do exactly that, but......

The bottom line is I will need parts and that will be my biggest challenge as of yet, I have a couple of options of some shop space and tools to use but none of it makes a difference if I can't get the parts and they are scarce due to the rig being a 2023 with after market ring and pinion

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't get the enjoyment of hiking, riding, karting, going to the pool, or basically anything. But at least I can sit on the deck and study for now. The sun feels kinda nice.
isn’t this deck the one slightly separated from your house
If you want something done right, got to do it yourself.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Serious Q, depression? Or just too hot?
No. I'm studying. If I'm not working, I'm studying. I take little breaks to post every 30min or so, but on weekends especially, I'm studying from 7am-7pm.

My test is on the 14th, so this is all I do. I actually had my first error at work in over 10yrs this week. I'm so burned out mentally from studying that work is largely just motions (I'm not doing much right now).

Next weekend I have to take Haley to the track. I will be basically dropping her and the kart off with the team, then setting up my pop-up, table, and chair, and studying until she's done for the day and heading home.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
IMG_2004.jpeg

I rode a bike again today. I need to do this more often, because again, it just does NOT suck. I get why lots of people are riding enduro bikes now - new to me bike rips (but I need some practice).

Think my wife has claimed my DH bike as her’s now. That’s cool.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Jeep is so new that hardly anyone (including dealers) don't have a clue what they are doing, tried several forums and groups and everyone is scratching their heads, worst part is there are hardly any stocked parts, diagrams, or part numbers for the specific stuff I need due to the last two mechanics messing things up.

That's exactly the issue, I think at this point I know more than most mechanics when it comes to this new of a rig and the parts involved. I feel confident I could do the work myself if I had a lift, shop press, and a few other tools specific to differentials but that's a no-go as well.

@Westy

I am going to do exactly that, but......

The bottom line is I will need parts and that will be my biggest challenge as of yet, I have a couple of options of some shop space and tools to use but none of it makes a difference if I can't get the parts and they are scarce due to the rig being a 2023 with after market ring and pinion
Stock axle? Might as well skip the R&P and buy a complete Curry D60 or something. Someones gotta have one of those built with 5.38s ready to ship.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Hello there, back from Palm Springs, it was hot as balls and excellent. I holed up on a villa at the Hyatt, paid zero attention to the outside world for the entire week, barely looked at my phone and survived almost entirely on sushi and Topo Chico. I’ve decided that living life any other way is unnecessary.

Did I miss anything good?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oh joy, this water feels wonderful.

The inflatable kayak, well we'll see if it makes it back to the other side of the lake. :rofl:

It was a nice experiment, but a rigid one will be much better, even for these short beer excursions.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
F2 driver died at SPA today. Rainy conditions, spun and was t-boned. Totally invisible from the roost

AQI 155.

11.6 miles, 1,350', a couple of moderately violent crashes, broke 500 miles for the year, a good afternoon.
Please don't break yourself; you're getting too old for that shit. And I mean that in the best way - age just doesn't do bone healing well.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
F2 driver died at SPA today. Rainy conditions, spun and was t-boned. Totally invisible from the roost
F1 sprint race was great.

They're supposedly going to trial rain fenders in F1 later this season to lessen spray.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Some people need protecting from themselves at DH resorts. Today's scariest rider was on a fat ebike, self added kickstand on the chainstay - in the down position, full big bike packing bag sticking out 15" off the back of their seatpost.

*could apply to @jstuhlman :D

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Stock axle? Might as well skip the R&P and buy a complete Curry D60 or something. Someones gotta have one of those built with 5.38s ready to ship.
Already have the advantek 44's front and rear with yukon chromoly shafts and RCV fronts. Wontons are still way further out than parts for my current setup. That would also require a plasma cutter, mig welder, and a 2-post lift with lift stands at a minimum, and would run at least 25k without drivelines, lift, and suspension.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
One mark of a true professional in many things is to know when you are in over your head. Too many cocky cowboys just think they can figure shit out. This goes from surgery to construction, engineering, hell, even arborists and things like that.

EDIT: It is also a bit of human nature, and every one of us can be guilty of this. It’s also a sign of maturity and honestly assessing one’s skills.
We had to look at a job at 5pm on a Friday, hydraulic doodad snapped off.
Boss goes "Yep we can fix that!"
Overhead weld on 20+mm steel, I could do it to the standard that the last person did and that weld lasted three days, so I said I refuse to do it.

We lose so much money by taking on jobs that are way outside our bread and butter zone. Sure it's fun to learn new stuff, but if you learn new stuff for something that happens every couple of years it's a bit pointless.
If I'm on my own I tell people who to get a job done by if I don't think I can do it in a time/cost effective manner.

EDIT- I am far from a true professional. In job interviews I tell the interviewers all the things I'm shit and then work out if I'd be of any use to the company, hahaha!

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There are warm days in Portland and I wish it was a little cooler, then someone back home bitches about the heat and I feel way better.

Screenshot_20230701-172313.png

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
About an hour into dinner service, it was clear I wasn't up to the task. I am slow and meticulous. Have no functioning memory. Obtuse and belligerent also. I bowed out early. Standing in the same spot for 4 hours is very difficult for me.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nearly lost my shit today when a Bluetooth Speaker Douchebag, despite great efforts on my part to avoid him, did everything in his power to stay within earshot.

I wonder how much a Tsukobo made of mountain lion claws would weigh. You know, for trailwork.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I think that could work for my wife.
The key is to mix in some sashimi here and there so you don't fill up on rice, and to stay somewhere with nugget ice machines, I swear tiny ice makes drinks healthier.

Also, one can add tequila to TC if you want/need the probiotics.

We lose so much money by taking on jobs that are way outside our bread and butter zone.
This is a business lesson too few business owners seem capable to learning. Focus on what got you to the dance, what you know how to do well, and just do it more or do it better. If you want to expand, learn the new task before accepting the new work.

Inevitably every boss I've had that takes stupid jobs we had no business taking on ends up pissing off customers be delivering late or shoddy work, and loses that customer's business entirely.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nearly lost my shit today when a Bluetooth Speaker Douchebag, despite great efforts on my part to avoid him, did everything in his power to stay within earshot.

I wonder how much a Tsukobo made of mountain lion claws would weigh. You know, for trailwork.
I nearly lost my shit at a TIG welder, my brain was suggesting it would like nice with a few love taps from the 14lb hammer.

It's been a while since I have felt this level of frustration and uselessness.
Gave up and walked away before breaking stuff.