Quantcast

O_O Wednesday already GMT O_O

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So my ambulance chasers got a deal for me which is great. What isn't great is the courtroom date has not yet been cancelled and my mom is set to be a witness. My mom lives 1200km from me so I'd have to fly her here. Not fun. I'm also worried they might need me and I'm 100% not in Poland for that time. So I hope my ambulance chasers fix this shit and quite gruesomely my grandfather's bicycle fatal accident from 20 years ago can fund my new bicycle.

Also I was supposed to get a call about something that seemed like a golden ticket. The important guy told he'd call me when I contacted him 2 weeks ago. He's trustworthy and he had a good reason to be busy but I am getting impatient since all my other side projects failed.

On the good side - I'm creating a fermentation chamber. Cover a rack in foil thing, put a heater and humidifier inside and grow koji. My GF thinks I'm mad.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Gave my bike some love so it would be ready to ride today, but almost threw it out the window instead. Trued the rear wheel, but after I did that the rear tire wobbled around so bad it hit the stays. So I put on a different tire wondering if it was the tire, but nope, still the same wobbling. So now the rear wheel is trued against the tire, so let's hope I dont get a flat and throw off the phasing remounting it. Still have no idea how or why it is so fuxored, but it's at the age where the nips are frozen, twisting, or starting to break.

Got a PNW dropper on the way to replace the problematic Race Face, and it appears I should be budgeting for new wheels.

Light bikes still the best crabon option for those of us who don't have orthodontist scratch?

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Conference call at 9am and someone is gonna get an ass chewing..I just hope I'm not on the receiving end of said chewing...More likely will be the client who drags his feet on decisions and spending dollars...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My calves are frikkin killing me for some reason, and my treadmill run two days ago is the only thing I can think of that would be the cause. I'm hobbling around like I'm 150 years old (no offense, JBP).

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Mornin!

Gave my bike some love so it would be ready to ride today, but almost threw it out the window instead. Trued the rear wheel, but after I did that the rear tire wobbled around so bad it hit the stays. So I put on a different tire wondering if it was the tire, but nope, still the same wobbling. So now the rear wheel is trued against the tire, so let's hope I dont get a flat and throw off the phasing remounting it. Still have no idea how or why it is so fuxored, but it's at the age where the nips are frozen, twisting, or starting to break.

Got a PNW dropper on the way to replace the problematic Race Face, and it appears I should be budgeting for new wheels.

Light bikes still the best crabon option for those of us who don't have orthodontist scratch?
What's your hub spacing? 27.5?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
same shit different day.

I almost royally fucked up last night. I was getting ready to call it a day and was going over today's run sheet, Feb 12 ...Oh shit I forgot to get the wife a card for our 20th Anniversary (today). Off to the market I went for said purchase. We roll on out of here early Friday Morning to spend 4 days on the Mendocino coast celebrating...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Still no word on the last interview, not sure if good or bad. Not sure how I missed it, but Gateway Green got a HUGE Grant and closes next month to reopen November. So I will hit it this weekend rain or no.

New pump track, expanded trails, downhill section, should be sweet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
stoney's oldest daughter
Since he has two shouldn't it be "elder daughter" or the like? Hmm

I am at work. Drove the Land Cruiser in because why not? Oh gas price x 14-16 mpg > electric price at 120 MPGe, yes. Oh well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Car in the shop to repair hood and windshield damage from a big fucking rock bouncing around I-5. Opted for a rental minivan to test out possibly renting one for a road trip to Utah in a month. It is absolutely cavernous inside. Can easily fit two bikes the dog, all my shit have have plenty of room to roll out a large camping mattress. People who buy large SUVs for hauling cargo and people instead of vans are morons.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Car in the shop to repair hood and windshield damage from a big fucking rock bouncing around I-5. Opted for a rental minivan to test out possibly renting one for a road trip to Utah in a month. It is absolutely cavernous inside. Can easily fit two bikes the dog, all my shit have have plenty of room to roll out a large camping mattress. People who buy large SUVs for hauling cargo and people instead of vans are morons.
when i was in high school i would use my parents mini van like this. bike + camp = win.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Completely agree. And with proper snow tires, a minivan makes a great winter road-tripper. Amusingly, there is a VERY strong psychological "anti-minivan" streak in a LOT of middle-age suburban men/women. It's completely irrational and quite amusing to observe.

Battlevan in Jackson many moons ago:
1581524535150.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Completely agree. And with proper snow tires, a minivan makes a great winter road-tripper. Amusingly, there is a VERY strong psychological "anti-minivan" streak in a LOT of middle-age suburban men/women. It's completely irrational and quite amusing to observe.

Battlevan in Jackson many moons ago:
View attachment 140876
while practical, they are expensive, drive like boats, and have poor fuel economy. also very limited on AWD options.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
while practical, they are expensive, drive like boats, and have poor fuel economy. also very limited on AWD options.
They're cheaper than SUVs, drive less like boats than SUVs (especially body on frame), have equivalent fuel economy to unibody CUVs, and come in AWD flavor from Toyota and Fiat-Chrysler.

And if you want to roll the dice and can tolerate FWD then the Pacifica (Plugin) Hybrid as my wife drives gets 32 MPG after going 33 miles on electricity alone. It's a pretty unique package.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Wait - are you talking about SUV's or minivans? :D

And AWD is great and all, but wholly unnecessary if you run proper tires.

These minivans aren't competing with sports cars/sedans. They are a practical alternative to large (5+ passenger) SUVs and pickups, which:
  • are more expensive
  • drive more boat-like
  • even worse fuel economy

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They're cheaper than SUVs
are they? after the accident liz looked at a few minivans. base models started at or above $40k.

drive less like boats than SUVs (especially body on frame)
both still drive like boats. "less boaty" isn't a compliment.

have equivalent fuel economy to unibody CUVs, and come in AWD flavor from Toyota and Fiat-Chrysler.
which is still crappy fuel economy. and a whopping 2 options for AWD.

And if you want to roll the dice and can tolerate FWD then the Pacifica (Plugin) Hybrid as my wife drives gets 32 MPG after going 33 miles on electricity alone. It's a pretty unique package.
which is still crappy fuel economy. and starts at $40k. :no:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Chrysler Voyager, which is a base model Pacifica, is $27k base. If you really want to you can buy a rental-spec Grand Caravan for less yet.

32 MPG is really good for something large, and we drive 80+% of our miles in electric over the course of a year. And for the PHEV version subtract $7.5k Federal and whatever you have local (in CO was $6k then $5k and now $4k).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Chrysler Voyager, which is a base model Pacifica, is $27k base. If you really want to you can buy a rental-spec Grand Caravan for less yet.
and is still a shit box that gets under 30mpg for non awd.

32 MPG is really good for something large, and we drive 80+% of our miles in electric over the course of a year. And for the PHEV version subtract $7.5k Federal and whatever you have local (in CO was $6k then $5k and now $4k).
"for something large" is quite the disclaimer.