Quantcast

Obscure, overseas, small, reclusive bike companies!

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
technically, yeah, it's a 14" chainstay, but it raises a whole lotta doubt first, plus that BB has to be in the dirt.
No, technically, the chainstay length has to be more than 14, like WCH is saying. Remember, chainstay length is measured from the center of the axle when the wheel is slammed to the center of the BB. Now, the "virtual" or "effective" CS length (horizontal distance from axle to BB) might be shorter... but, that does nothing advantageous for freestyle riding. A lower BB would just make it harder to pull up and pop off the ground.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
No, technically, the chainstay length has to be more than 14, like WCH is saying. Remember, chainstay length is measured from the center of the axle when the wheel is slammed to the center of the BB. Now, the "virtual" or "effective" CS length (horizontal distance from axle to BB) might be shorter... but, that does nothing advantageous for freestyle riding. A lower BB would just make it harder to pull up and pop off the ground.
I already agreed with WCH, now you guys stop picking on me or I'll tell!:disgust: :happydance:

Am I the only one here who is extremely entertained by "happydance" smiley guy?? He's a riot...

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
Regardless of whether or not there is such a thing as a virtual chain stay, it is awesome to see guys taking matters into their own hands to build what they want, how they want, and a riding community that will support them instead of being "clump"ed in with other junk. Keep on truckin'.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
14.5 maybe 14.25 is as short as you could physically get a 26" wheeled bike.
Unless you're running geared, don't forget you also need some slop it tension the chain.

Check out my bike in my sig. That bike is 15.25

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
the Candida bike doesn't necessarily have a low bb, the chain stays are probably just angled. goat bikes tried to do this 3 years ago, but the bad aesthetics is what made them unsuccessful.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
damn, I remember goat. I remember they had a video on there website of a guy doin some crazy trials on it.
they were great frames, but ugly and rediculously expensive, they were way ahead of their time but i do expect lots of people to start angleing their chain stays inoder to shorten them up

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Wow, check out some of the Quamen products! I kinda dig the SS kit... click on the "urban" link.
Can't they just call it MTB Street, or 24"/26" street or something? Urban is done on big dumb fullies....

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've looked at quamen's stuff before, even emailed them about some interesting lookin' products I'd seen of their's on other sites. production dates were way out on the stuff I was interested in.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Some of their stuff is good, but some is silly, in my opinion.... I personally don't like the messy headtube gussets/tubes on the street frame. And the removeable dropouts seem a little scary to me...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
14.5 maybe 14.25 is as short as you could physically get a 26" wheeled bike.
Unless you're running geared, don't forget you also need some slop it tension the chain.

Check out my bike in my sig. That bike is 15.25
dude that is an awesome frame building blog.