Quantcast

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Well, rode in to work again today, starting another week of commuting.
Its getting really nice here now. Even slightly chilly in the morning. It was dark still at 6am when I rolled out, its that time of year again!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Cool morning ride for me at 37 degrees. I've switched to my cross bike and boy I just love how it feels. When the snow starts falling and the roads are icy I'll switch over to my winter commuter but for now I'll zoom along on the Dean. Zoom Zoom Zoom

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
October 1st!
It was chilly on the commute this morning, first day I've said that so far! I think summer here in Phoenix is finally over.

I'm really lucky that almost everything I need is within a 5 mile radius of my house, makes it easy to swing by the store on the way home. Although I think I might be getting another Xtracycle...carrying 3 gallons of water and food in a messenger bag is getting a bit old...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Back to commuting again.
I cheated the last 3 days and drove.
It was dark and rainy on the ride in, but nice.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
I don't really have to commute anywhere since my shop is at my house, but I built a commuter bike to enter in the Oregon Manifest design competition. Ti frame with a "Levy Break" conical breakaway for belt drive goodness (designed by Dave Levy at Ti Cycles who let me borrow the very smart design). Post mounts between stays for the rear brake. Post mounts on the unicrown fork. A ti porteur rack with internal dynamo wiring. Ultimately it will get some carbon fenders but I didn't have time to mount them before submitting it.

I also didn't have time to take photos of it but I have one.

If you happen to be in Portland, you can check it out at NW 10th and Hoyt.

Some more in-progress photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vertigocycles/

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I don't really have to commute anywhere since my shop is at my house, but I built a commuter bike to enter in the Oregon Manifest design competition. Ti frame with a "Levy Break" conical breakaway for belt drive goodness (designed by Dave Levy at Ti Cycles who let me borrow the very smart design). Post mounts between stays for the rear brake. Post mounts on the unicrown fork. A ti porteur rack with internal dynamo wiring. Ultimately it will get some carbon fenders but I didn't have time to mount them before submitting it.

After the comp, you can send it my way :D

Nice work! I dig it!! :thumb:

splat

Nam I am
Getting darker on ride home , having trouble picking up the pot holes, guess its time to switch over to the hard tail!

Is that a Rohloff on the rear ?

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Getting darker on ride home , having trouble picking up the pot holes, guess its time to switch over to the hard tail!

Is that a Rohloff on the rear ?
It is. I've been trying to get a Carbon Drive cog for it for two years. As soon as they're available, the chain will be replaced.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I've had a four day weekend courtesy of two furlough days...now its back to the grind. It's not raining, so it should be a good commute in

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Awesome photos! Out of curiosity, how much would that commuter bike go for?
Frame would be about $3450 ($2800 frame + $200 PM disc mounts + $300 for EBB + $150 for Seat stay break for belt drive). Fork (with paint) would be in the $350 neighborhood. I'm not sure what I would have to charge for the ti front rack to feel like it was worth the time. I'll probably never make another.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
A but if rain this morning but really really nice ride in. It's pretty much pitch black with just a tiny hint of the sun starting to rise.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I actually commuted to work in the light, but then the commute home was in the dark :( I think riding at 5 pm in the dark is more dangerous

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I hit the streets at a great time last night. Sun had just barely set so the mtns with snow were all backlit. I swear I was riding against some stage backdrop.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
I'm hoping that this weather sticks around for a bit or at least comes back next week. I finally get my Manifest bike back on Monday and I'm promptly going to add a few rack mounts to the top of the seat stays. A friend of mine is giving me a baby seat...I think it's time I get the wee girl on a bike. Cross fingers.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
passed a unicylist towing a skateboarder this morning on my ride in. I swear I heard circus music.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Finally got my commuter bike home. I don't actually have to commute anywhere, but I did get to do a grocery run last night in the rain. The front rack is quite handy, I can see why they're so popular around here. Still waiting for the cog for the belt drive but with any luck, it'll show up this week and the bike will finally be done. I'll have to start looking for more excuses to get out to go pick stuff up.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
woooo booy, that was a close call this morning. It percipitated a small amount overnight, dipped below freezing, and then was 33 for my ride in. I don't have my studded tires on yet because it's still fall and they are slow as hell to ride on so I resist as long as possible. BUT, I came around the first corner in my neighborhood a bit to racer car driver like and damn near went down. Never fear kids, I pulled off a super sweet sideways slide to fishtail zig zag.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
woooo booy, that was a close call this morning. It percipitated a small amount overnight, dipped below freezing, and then was 33 for my ride in. I don't have my studded tires on yet because it's still fall and they are slow as hell to ride on so I resist as long as possible. BUT, I came around the first corner in my neighborhood a bit to racer car driver like and damn near went down. Never fear kids, I pulled off a super sweet sideways slide to fishtail zig zag.
Yikes! Glad you were able to save it!

I am a slacker...it was 50 degrees out this morning and I didn't commute in :mad: because I had too much crap to carry and travel between school today.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Happy Monday! I rode hard yesterday so my legs were pretty tired for my ride to work this morning. I like the crunchy sound of my tires on frozen pavement.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
dark ride in this morning and I needed all the power of my lights. For some reason as I rode in I was thinking of the climbers lost and now left on Mt Hood. You know, that moment you know you are screwed and going to die has to suck.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
dark ride in this morning and I needed all the power of my lights. For some reason as I rode in I was thinking of the climbers lost and now left on Mt Hood. You know, that moment you know you are screwed and going to die has to suck.
Yes it does. I'm back to work from parental leave. I come in later so I ride in the light in, dark going home. It hasn't been too bad, although it poured yesterday (made me think of racing ;))

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yes it does. I'm back to work from parental leave. I come in later so I ride in the light in, dark going home. It hasn't been too bad, although it poured yesterday (made me think of racing ;))
What is parental leave? You don't have kids do you?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The rain is coming down. Why it isn't in the form of snow I don't know. We aren't all that used to rain here in Bend so it's kind of a novelty to commute in it. Splish splash goes Heidi to work.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm driving to work for the next two weeks. It's my off season and I find that if I don't touch the bike it make me more hungry when I get back to training.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
First commute of the new year! The mtns look nice and snowy but it's clear and dry in town. My rear blinkie light seem so happy when I fire it up in the morning.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Full rain gear for my ride to work this morning. My rain pants make cool noise when I ride- kind of like cords do. It was a bit foggy too so I went ahead and wore an uber nerdy reflective vest. ho hum, nothng to see here.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Happy Tuesday. The wind had its way with me this morning. Sometimes you have to just be the kite. Red and pink fiery skies made it all worth it.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Happy Tuesday. The wind had its way with me this morning. Sometimes you have to just be the kite. Red and pink fiery skies made it all worth it.
We've had horrible wind at night, but fairly calm during the day. Nice commute in this morning. I saw a report on the news this morning about talking/texting while driving....a person talking on a cell phone has the same crash rate as a drunk and some texting is twice as likely as a drunk to get in a wreck.....scary sh!t :(

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
We've had horrible wind at night, but fairly calm during the day. Nice commute in this morning. I saw a report on the news this morning about talking/texting while driving....a person talking on a cell phone has the same crash rate as a drunk and some texting is twice as likely as a drunk to get in a wreck.....scary sh!t :(
I've texted while riding before and had someone in a car yell at me!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I've texted while riding before and had someone in a car yell at me!
Good! You shouldn't texting/talking while riding either! I almost bit it texting on my bike and that was the last time I tried that :p

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Good! You shouldn't texting/talking while riding either! I almost bit it texting on my bike and that was the last time I tried that :p
Well you just need to practice more!:thumb:

Commute this morning was really nice. It's light when I ride in and light when I ride home which is always a bonus. On top of that, the sky is lit up all pink and blue and my legs felt really good after the hard ride yesterday.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Happy Thursday commute! It rained overnight so the roads are slightly damp. This weekend is Winterfest in Bend and they are building a GIANT drop-in for the snowjam. It's scary high and I could see it from waaaay away.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Brrr, it was 17 degrees for my ride in this morning. It's perfectly clear and sunny out today which makes it alll that much better.

maximmax

Chimp
Jan 26, 2010
Thats for sure but look at that rear wing. has FIA officially realeased WHY the constraints on that? Is it really going to promote that much more passing?

O and btw you still need to send me that link... F1 stream...