Quantcast

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Bah, I was supposed to commute in today, but passed and drove instead.

Not sure what my deal is...last year I was commuting in all the time, just can't seem to find the motivation this year. Doesn't help that I have to get up at 5am and its already 100 degrees outside.

I'll try again tomorrow...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Rode to work today. Hot, humid. New pannier/rack setup is awesome. Having trouble installing the rear fender I ordered, going to have to get creative.

These panniers are great, they are HUGE. Ortlieb Back Roller classic.

Supposed to be 106 with 35% humidity on the ride home. Awesome.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Nice ride into work, save for the horrible humidity. Very swampy outside. I'm hoping it rains.

Packed everything into just one pannier today, less to carry up to my office. Worked great! My boss asked "wait, you rode your bike today?". "yeah". "you need a ride or something?"
Funny stuff.

edit - oh yeah, put new tires on the commuter as well - Continental City Contact 28c. Crazy tires, they sound like velcro on the pavement. Way grippy. We'll see how long they last, they are wire bead and pretty heavy.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
We have been experiencing hot hot temps as well - with the exciting chance of afternoon thunderstorms with hail! woot woot. Last night shortly after I rode home, 2 houses about a mile away got struck by lightening! messed them up pretty badly. Today the storm is building early and it does NOT look good out.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
We have been experiencing hot hot temps as well - with the exciting chance of afternoon thunderstorms with hail! woot woot. Last night shortly after I rode home, 2 houses about a mile away got struck by lightening! messed them up pretty badly. Today the storm is building early and it does NOT look good out.
Typical AZ summer, brutal heat, but we're not used to the humidity. Reminds me of Vermont.

I've ridden in a few hail/lightning storms, its scary, stay safe out there!

Its supposed to rain today, but its sunny out right now...we'll see...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Apparently it rained last night, so it was like riding through a swamp this morning. Ugh. At least it was only in the 80's.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yah, we don't have humidity here either, which is nice! No thunderstorms last night, it cleared up and was really sunny and hot for my lunch ride. A bug hit me on my way back down into town and left a big welt on my stomach!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Yah, we don't have humidity here either, which is nice! No thunderstorms last night, it cleared up and was really sunny and hot for my lunch ride. A bug hit me on my way back down into town and left a big welt on my stomach!
Jeez, it must have hit you hard.

I see a new commuter bike on the horizon...I dig my singlespeed, but its very limiting. It doesn't have proper rack or fender mounts either.

I'm thinking Surly Long Haul Trucker. Supposedly my friend can get me a deal on one.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Rode to work today. Motivation is always high to ride to work (mostly downhill), is always non-existent to ride home from work (mostly uphill, including a 1 mile section that tops out at 19%).

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Finally got the rear fender mounted on my roadie.
And sure enough, it rained yesterday, so I got to test it. Aimed for a few puddles, worked great!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm going to start commuting to my classes after work. I'll be riding back in the dark. Can anybody recommend a bike light that isn't going to break the bank? I want something that i can see a little bit with, but mostly so people can see me coming. I won't be riding very fast, so i don't really need something like an HID Bimmer headlight.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I'm going to start commuting to my classes after work. I'll be riding back in the dark. Can anybody recommend a bike light that isn't going to break the bank? I want something that i can see a little bit with, but mostly so people can see me coming. I won't be riding very fast, so i don't really need something like an HID Bimmer headlight.
Amazon.com: Light & Motion Stella 120 Bike Light: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ocd2kvifL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ocd2kvifL

I have the 200L, I like it a lot. Its plenty bright/powerful enough even for trail riding. But it has some ridiculous 5 hour burn time, plus its small, light and easy to take off the bike if you're locking it somewhere for an extended period.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Well, my van's tires are SHOT, so its back to the bike for a bit.
Ran errands all weekend on the roadie and commuted to work today. Really tired...when you don't do it on a regular basis, it really wears you out.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hit the road when the sun was still down, blinky light flashing off the white garage door as I pedaled away. The dark gravel road crushed under my tires as I turned and headed north into the foggy, misty skies. Past the brewery with hops and a slightly bitter vinager smell carrying in the wind, past the big golf course sitting on the hillside waiting. Further on I pushed with the warmth coming to my legs but the cold air rushing in my jacket. Morning rides are the best.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I had to get a new basket for my cruiser bike. I crashed and destroyed the other one. Bummed too because I got that like 6 years ago as my Ridemonkey Secret Santa gift!!!!

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I feel like a lazy bum.

I didn't ride yesterday because I wanted to do some weights at lunch.

I didn't ride this morning because it is innebandy and sauna beers Friday at work.

I hate riding the Tunnelbana.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I feel like a lazy bum.

I didn't ride yesterday because I wanted to do some weights at lunch.

I didn't ride this morning because it is innebandy and sauna beers Friday at work.

I hate riding the Tunnelbana.

Is your gym so far away that you can't ride to it to do weights or something?
What is the Tunnelbana?

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Is your gym so far away that you can't ride to it to do weights or something?
What is the Tunnelbana?
I ride with a Vaude bag that fits what I need for the day, nothing more. I guess I could leave clothes here in my locker, we have a really nice gym/sauna/court, we play innebandy right here at work. But, I intended to do ascending/descending sets of squats and they did in fact leave my hamstrings feeling like firey jelly. Now THAT would have been a fun 14K home.

Tunnelbana is our "metro rail" here in Stockholm. It's always packed, even more so this time of year.

This morning was ~0C with snow, high humidity, headwind. Had a tough time balancing staying warm and sweating. It is still dark out, even after showering and grabbing my free fruits for the day. But hey, dark and white on the ground > dark and grey/brown. :thumb:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yep, snowy here this morning too. I don't have my studs on my bike yet so I just took it extra slow around the corners. no problems at all, didn't seem icy out.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Winter commuting on! I was the only one on the road this morning (bike, car, or walker). No snow plows seem to be out and the road looked to be at least a 1" layer of ice with 6-9" of powder on top. I still haven't put my studs on my bike and opted to take my cyclocross bike this morning because it is already setup with a back fender and lights. I only had an initial problem getting started in all the powder but then I hopped in a car track and cruised to work. I must admit I was scared the whole time but hey, that's what keeps us alive right?

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
Winter commuting on! I was the only one on the road this morning (bike, car, or walker). No snow plows seem to be out and the road looked to be at least a 1" layer of ice with 6-9" of powder on top. I still haven't put my studs on my bike and opted to take my cyclocross bike this morning because it is already setup with a back fender and lights. I only had an initial problem getting started in all the powder but then I hopped in a car track and cruised to work. I must admit I was scared the whole time but hey, that's what keeps us alive right?
Heidi, do you have studs for your cross? If so, can you tell me what type they are? I would like to look into getting some for winter riding in the PNW...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I didn't ride yesterday because the streets were covered in ice. They're fairly dry this morning, so I'll ride in avoiding the wet spots :) Unusually cold weather for the valley (mid 20s)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Heidi, do you have studs for your cross? If so, can you tell me what type they are? I would like to look into getting some for winter riding in the PNW...
No, don't have them on my cross bike, just my mtb.

It was 2.3 degrees for my commute this morning. There is still packed powder over the inch or two of ice. Stick to the packed powder!:thumb:

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
14K "cyclocross" ride this morning.

Some bike paths plowed, some not.
Some hardpack snow, some soft, some ice.

Completely unpredictable, totally fun.

Still snowing.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Full rain gear for my commute this morning. I don't understand why more people don't ride to work. I really don't.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It isn't that hard. Seriously. I find myself getting annoyed because here in Bend nothing is that far. I mean, most people live within 6 miles of where they work!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
It isn't that hard. Seriously. I find myself getting annoyed because here in Bend nothing is that far. I mean, most people live within 6 miles of where they work!
I live 5 miles from work.
I used to live 20 miles from work, but I rode there everyday :think: And everywhere else. Year round.

Not sure what's up this year, guess I am just being lazy.

Hitting the reset button for next year and getting back to it!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
A bit dicey out there the last few days. The snow starts to melt in the afternoon and becomes a thick slushy mess that is nearly impossible to cut through on a bike, then it re-freezes at night and is a hard crunchy disaster in the morning.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
First ride to work of 2011.
39 degrees on my way to work, which is cold to us Phoenix desert dwellers. I bought this Pearl Izumi jacket a few years back - it looks like a windbreaker but is the warmest cycling jacket I have ever had. Just that over a t-shirt and I actually warmed up too much.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I rode yesterday. -7C to work -10C on the way home, a month of packed snow on the paths, bumpy as hell, amazed that I still have teeth.

City of Stockholm apparently uses my "deserted road" way home to dump snow. I got the the end of the road where I get back onto the cycle path and the it was a 20´ft wall of snow, so I had to backtrack about a mile.

It was cold enough on the way home that one of my reflectors broke from vibrations. Lesson learned.....-7C is now my thermal cut-off, for equipments sake.