Quantcast

oh... my... god... I like tofu...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
So I’ve been a "meat and potatoes" guy my whole life...

I’m dating this cute vegan... and one thing led to another, and I find myself in the check-out isle with a pound of tofu.

So, this square chunk of jelly looking white stuff in its own bathwater is looking up at me, and needless to say, my skepticism rose to an all time high.

but... I chop it up into 3/4" inch chunks, and toss it into a nice hot pool of fresh sautéed garlic butter. I sauté it up for a good 15 minutes until golden brown... add plenty of salt and pepper, and finally flambé it up with a tablespoon of cooking sherry... Then ate it up.

I almost hate to say it... thems good!!!! :dancing:

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I used to add tofu to a strawberry smoothie. You dont even taste it. Its soo cool. That stuff is hard to find sometimes though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Tofu is a great way to get some good nutrients without lots of fat, it's also very versatile.

But if your girlie is truly vegan, you should probably check with her before you serve her anything with butter. Doh!

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
OGRipper said:
Tofu is a great way to get some good nutrients without lots of fat, it's also very versatile.

But if your girlie is truly vegan, you should probably check with her before you serve her anything with butter. Doh!
:stupid:

Its about 1.60 here for 1 pound. so, about 25% the cost of good beef.

I was amazed at how light and bland it was... it mostly tasted like light crispy bits of garlic butter. :thumb:

so... does anyone know if it makes you... errrrrr... gassy?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Tofu:

Rinse
Slice
Put on plate
Add salt and pepper
Eat cold

:thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
gigapower said:
I've had tofu twice in my life, both times I felt like crap after eating it.

you must respect the tofu. i can't handle soy protein. makes me sick as a dog, but i love tofu. in moderation i used to enjoy it frequently. now i eat meat again so tofu is out most of the time. the vietnamese really know how to whip up some tasty tofu treats. lemon grass tofu and tofu with spicey black beans are two of my favorites.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
lanman said:
What is the consistency?? Does it like firm up when you cook it like chicken? Or is it all mooshy and what not?
I actually got the outside quite crispy...

you just have to saute it for a good long time over hot fire...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
H8R said:
Tofu:

Rinse
Slice
Put on plate
Add salt and pepper
Eat cold

:thumb:
Try a little soy sauce, minced ginger and green onion. That's how the Japanese do it sometimes. For cold tofu it's best to have the type that it is strained through silk rather than cotton. The texture is smoother.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
valve bouncer said:
Try a little soy sauce, minced ginger and green onion. That's how the Japanese do it sometimes. For cold tofu it's best to have the type that it is strained through silk rather than cotton. The texture is smoother.
Don't forget the Mirin!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The King and I has the best Chu Chi (Tofu boiled or stir fried in panang with fresh veggies) in ROC. I eat lots of Tofu when fish is too expensive and I get sick of yard bird..........

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Living in Korea now, I eat tofu every so often...
The stuff is tolerable at best, and has to be mixed with alot of other things for me to eat it.
One of the popular dishes here is a spicy tofu and fish-parts soup, "parts" usually reffering to heads.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Mmmm. Tofu. Makes my wife fart, bad.
<- Shudders.

I only like it deep fried at which point I might as well eat beef, pork, chicken.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Tofu is a great protien source and nutritious plus I get to save an animal in the process....what more could you ask for.....D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That was a classic moment Saturday :D

We're at this BBQ joint called Sticky Lips. Everyone's got ribs, chicken, beans, yummy stuff like that. Towards the end of the night I ask Squid what he got, and he says "tofu!". Everyone's like damn! How was it? And he goes "Nasty!" :D