Quantcast

OH SNAP! CCCX Winter Series is posted!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hello All,

I figured I would post up a quick PSA for all you Bay Area racers. The CCCX Winter Series has officially been posted.

http://cccx.org/dh/2009-10/index.shtml

Race #1: Saturday October 24
Race #2: Sunday November 15
Race #3: Saturday November 28
Race #4: Sunday December 13
Race #5: Sunday January 3
Race #6: Sunday January 31

I will be there for the first race, but I will not be racing (still not OK'd by the doc to ride MTB). I will be drinking beer and yelling at all of you from the sidelines. :headbang:

That is all.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
We all know gonefirefightin can't pedal a bicycle. CCCX is a no-go. :D

As for me, I might try to make the first race, but only to shoot photos and hang out. I don't think I'll be back on the bike at that time either. Still healing.

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
I got a new race bike for this, I'll be racing. Haven't decided on the category yet but I'll be going as fast as I can. Probably not terribly fast.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
What happened to you Mike?
Sometimes... you go to Blackrock, OR and think to yourself... "I've never been here before, and it's day 3 of a 7 day trip. I should definitely do something stupid."

I'm still not sure if I broke, fractured, or whatever'd any ribs... but the pain is getting worse and better at the same time. I might have separated the muscle from the bone, or bruised the bone. That's my thought.

Click on the photo to blow it up.

A shot to show how hard I hit the wood... :(

What you don't see: After the front wheel hit the landing the bike shot under the jump, tipping backward, and falling to the ground. I went ribs-first into the landing, knocking the wind out of myself. Then I did a backward somersault landing on my neck/head on TOP of my bike. To be honest, I'm not too sure how my bike hit/landed to bend the swing-arm, but considering my how body feels now 9 days after the wreck, I can't figure how my bike didn't snap in half. Oh, and according to my buddies Ian and Muck, they said that they actually saw me fall on my neck, and watched how my Leatt stopped my head/neck from bending too far. Personally, I think I wouldn't be walking if it weren't for my Leatt.

Zumbi will be warranting the frame... They were very responsive, quick to offer help, and wished me a speedy recovery.

And the damage...

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I don't know what side we were on, Brett... but I that what I saw ranged from tame and tiny to enormous and gnarly! It's amazing, though. No doubt about it.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Ah, the Black Rock Beatdown! I've been there...

Dude. I'm glad you're OK. That stunt is HUGE! Here's another angle:

I hit it with my buddy when we were up there at the end of July, when they had just finished building it. It is super smooth, but it takes some serious commitment and speed. You don't want to come up short... as you found out. It's probably a good thing you landed on the bike. All I remember from looking over the edge is a bunch of rocks that would suck to fall on. Apparently someone came up short like that during one of the first sessions after it was built, and got messed up pretty bad. Brandon Semenuk also got hurt there filming for NWD 10... so you're in good company! There's some footage of it in the NWD 10 trailer.

The road gap after the step-up is also pretty commiting:

You have to pedal hard out of the turn after the step-up. I cased it on the first attempt and broke my crank. Got some nice helmetcam of that somewhere. :)

The only thing at Black Rock that is bigger than that is the stuff on the Granny's double's run, which is right above the ET jump. Actually I wouldn't say it's "bigger" - definitely big, but more technical. Like a slalom dirt jump run with big jumps. Apparently they were in a big rush to finish that step-up/road gap stunt because the forest service is putting a hold on new construction of any "level 5" (i.e. big) stunts.

Hope you heal up quick. I'll hit that thing in your honor in a couple weeks at the Black Rock shuttle day! :)

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
jimw, thanks for posting that alternate photo. I actually have a photo of me standing below the ramp/jump, and it really shows how big that stunt it. Glad to know that if had to have cased it somewhere along the lines, it was at least on one of the biggest stunts out there.

On the bright side, I didn't bail out. I committed from start to fin... err... crash. And yeah. The rocks below the gap are pretty jagged and gnarly. Falling on my bike was probably best. I'd rather take a few pedal pins in my back than those rocks.

I'll try to dig up that photo of me standing next to the jump. It's all about commitment to clear that thing. Pedal, pedal, pedal. I know that next year if I go back, I'll wait until the last day... but I'll definitely clear it next time. I know EVERYTHING that I did wrong.

Oh, and I don't think I ever would have hit the road gap. You have to pedal your balls off to clear that thing. It's intense. There's almost no space between the landing of the step-up and the end of the ladder to the road gap. You have to be in the perfect gear to clear that.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
To continue drifting this thread :), check out 2:04 in the NWD 10 trailer below for a good view of that step-up, and some nice carnage of Brandon Semenuk trying a 360 on it. And BTW NWD 10 will be showing at the Rio in SC on Monday, 7 PM!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/nwd10-teaser.html

Alas, Mike, I won't be able to hit that thing in your honor at the Black Rock shuttle day this weekend... decided to bail at the last minute because the weather up there is looking too questionable to justify the drive. N* instead!

ashmtnadv

Chimp
Mar 6, 2008
Ashland Or.
Hey Mike,
Thats knarly! I got another WTB Silverodo in Black for ya. I'll give it to Ian along with your beanie!
Hope your feeling better...

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
I'm getting stoked! If you see someone on a yellow and blue Rocky Mountain Flatline say hello cause it's probably me.

Hope to see you all out there and have a good time racing.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
No frickin' way, man. Getting out of bed is pretty painful.

I was fighting off the urge to go to the doctors and get totally raped by some under-educated nimrob with an x-ray machine and a white coat who "just can't figure out" why I'm in so much pain... but it looks like I might head to Good Sam next week to get scanned and possibly some pills. It just keeps getting better, then worse, then better, then worse.

Have a great weekend, guys. I think I might try to make the next race, pending weather reports, and take photos. I gotta' increase my photo skills.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Damn cannot make it out there this time. Next race I will be there.

Lost my family dog today and have to sit my nephew and niece tomorrow for my brothers birthday while hes out of town.