Quantcast

oil weight/ amount

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
Hey guys, i was wonderin if any of you monkeys knew how much and what weight oil i should put into my rear shock (DNM R-12 or something, the one w/ lockout). I weigh around 160, if that helps. I was gonna put 10 wt oil into my fork, but i think that might be a lil too heavy for this shock... i'm thinkin 7.5, but how much of it??

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by crono35
Hey guys, i was wonderin if any of you monkeys knew how much and what weight oil i should put into my rear shock (DNM R-12 or something, the one w/ lockout). I weigh around 160, if that helps. I was gonna put 10 wt oil into my fork, but i think that might be a lil too heavy for this shock... i'm thinkin 7.5, but how much of it??
not really familiar with the DNM shock but in general rear shock techicality, aren't they charged with nitrogen? If so, be careful when you try to disassemble a rear shock. Make sure to dispense the pressure first..... call Fox or Romic and ask for some general info about their rear shocks..I'm sure their specs (as far as what's in it) should be near what's in the DNM..granting DNM isn't using grease like RST for dampening...

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
i guess not... too bad, i was hoping i could get it to match the damping in my fork. The only reason i wanna use it is coz it has the lockout feature, and my fox doesn't. However, the damping on the fox is simply astounding... would you guys choose damping over lockout? i still want to be able to occasionally climb, and there's 6 inches of travel in back..

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
If its worht it to you find a reputable shop that can maybe re valve it. It can probably be done, but at what cost?. Im not sure if DNM has any tech info available either. Maybe look em up on the net.

WWW.angryasian.com may also provide some info. Im not sure if this is mostly a fork page or not.

Id choose damping if it was more big hit/dh use, lock out if more XC. Tough choice. Quality wise fox is a much better product, DNM are cheap.

Good luck.