Quantcast

OK, Printer n00b question

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
While an image looks good on my screen, it prints darker on the printer. I thought there was a way to adjust the printer to print per the view on the computer as opposed to a dark picture....

Tips, pointers and such would be greatly appreciated.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah... before you get too crazy with ICC profiles and color temperatures and everything (or, rather, if you don't WANT to get crazy with those things), you can try downloading the trial version of Adobe Photoshop and running the Adobe Gamma utility that comes with it.

It's not perfect but most people run their monitors too bright which is a primary cause of your prints looking darker. The difference from monitor to printer will still exist, but it'll be a whole lot closer. Just run the utility, follow instructions and it'll give you a rough calibration that will have things looking a lot better.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
You could print out something then hold it next to your monitor and adjust the monitor using the buttons on the front of the monitor, until it matches the picture...

I don't really do much image editing, I have found that it's easier and more fun to just take better pictures. I must be weird though, if you pick up any photography magazine it's mostly about tips and tricks for image editing with just a few short articles about compostion and exposure.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Even if you take really good pictures, some editing would benefit them (sharpening, making stuff contrast more, improving the colors - stuff that you can't really help ahead of time, shooting digital).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't really do much image editing, I have found that it's easier and more fun to just take better pictures. I must be weird though, if you pick up any photography magazine it's mostly about tips and tricks for image editing with just a few short articles about compostion and exposure.
Well, to a certain extent, composure has remained the same for years. There are a thousand books on composure and a thousand articles have already been written.

Editing techniques have changed constantly over the past 10 years.