Quantcast

ok so this is more bmx, but I had to share... 204 pt engagement hub

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Profile had a bolt on 135mm disc hub at the show. It made me giddy. If I had six sided fingers I would have absconded with it, most certainly.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
'cos it will sound awesome perhaps? 4x riders will love it im sure

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I don't know if its possible to have a hub that engages too fast. Hubs with slow engagement drive me nuts so i would love to try one.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Higher engagement will increase pedal kickback on affected bikes.

Check out the scary ass cranks at the bottom of that first link!!!!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Once you get to 10 degrees, the returns are minimal going lower. Go for strength over extra engagement/marketing points.

I bet the new DT ringdrive extra engagement option (available as an upgrade for old hub owners too) is longer lasting than the profile 204 pt.

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Certainly there are diminishing returns the further this is takeen, but I definately notice the difference when I ride a 24/36 point hub from my normal 72 or 108....although I cannot notice the difference between the 72 and 108.

At some point, strength certainly becomes an important part. I would prefer to have my 108 hub be a 72 pt as it is a beefier design, but no reason to replace it until it fails (no signs of that after 4+ years).

So for me, the trade-off point would be somewhere in the 5 degree range, definatley not 10. 204 pt is way past the point of actual benefit IMO.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
To me, claiming 240 pts of engagement is a misnomer. With the tolerances they are running, I would be surprised if more than half of the pts engage at any given time.

Claiming 1.5deg. engagement however, does make sense.

Yet another area where MTB marketing obscures reality.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
To me, claiming 240 pts of engagement is a misnomer. With the tolerances they are running, I would be surprised if more than half of the pts engage at any given time.

Claiming 1.5deg. engagement however, does make sense.

Yet another area where MTB marketing obscures reality.
But it's not 1.5° engagement, on average it'd be 0.75° ;)