Quantcast

OK you Glens Falls Monkies

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
My brother, his wife, the missus and I are going to be in Lake George / Glens Falls this coming weekend (15th & 16th). My bro and I have finagled a kitchen pass for Sunday for a couple of hours. We will probably go mid to late morning. Anybody have suggestions for any good riding? Anybody going to be around?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Yo! I'm in Glens Falls! :) Sunday should be a can-do for me as well. We've got a couple places that might suit your fancy, but both will require driving about 30 mins. from Lake George/G.F.. Will you have use of a car? Let me know, and we can either hit Spier Falls or the ever popular SMBA Trails. :thumb:

I'm sure Treesaw will be in to comment sometime today as well. :)

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
McGRP01 said:
Yo! I'm in Glens Falls! :) Sunday should be a can-do for me as well. We've got a couple places that might suit your fancy, but both will require driving about 30 mins. from Lake George/G.F.. Will you have use of a car? Let me know, and we can either hit Spier Falls or the ever popular SMBA Trails. :thumb:

I'm sure Treesaw will be in to comment sometime today as well. :)
Driving is certainly an option and I think 30 minutes is doable. Our kitchen pass will likely last about 2.5 hours so that would give about and 1.5 hours of riding. Not a ton of time, but probably our best can do.

Either one of those sound like they would be great. Which one would you recommend?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
dogwonder said:
Driving is certainly an option and I think 30 minutes is doable. Our kitchen pass will likely last about 2.5 hours so that would give about and 1.5 hours of riding. Not a ton of time, but probably our best can do.

Either one of those sound like they would be great. Which one would you recommend?
Cool, we should probably hit the SMBA trails then. Spier Falls is great, but you spend about the first 30 mins climbing up into the ridgeline before you hit the "good" trails. The SMBA trails are in Saratoga and we can do a pretty fun loop in 1.5 hours. I might round up a posse to join us as well. :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Cool! I would also suggest the SMBA trails for that amount of time. We were contimplating a Spier Falls Ride on Sunday but we could definitely show around some monkeys on Sunday. I will PM you a phone number and we can all hook up. If you had a little more time and were into climbing Spier would be an excellent choice. Hogtown/Sleeping Beauty is also an option but generally a longer ride time is needed. It's the east side of Lake George and wouldn't be a long drive for you at all. I will talk to Sq-Earl and see if he can think of a route that would give you about a 1 1/2 - 2 hour ride time.

Edit: Ok -- Sq-Earl thinks the good loops at Hogtown/Sleeping Beauty would need more than 2 hours (we usually ride for 3-4 hours) and there is a lot of down tree limbs to deal with now.

If you get on I-87 it should only take you about 15 minutes to Spier Falls (exit 17N) or 25 minutes to SMBA trails (exit 15). Either one is fine with us.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
TreeSaw said:
Cool! I would also suggest the SMBA trails for that amount of time. We were contimplating a Spier Falls Ride on Sunday but we could definitely show around some monkeys on Sunday. I will PM you a phone number and we can all hook up. If you had a little more time and were into climbing Spier would be an excellent choice. Hogtown/Sleeping Beauty is also an option but generally a longer ride time is needed. It's the east side of Lake George and wouldn't be a long drive for you at all. I will talk to Sq-Earl and see if he can think of a route that would give you about a 1 1/2 - 2 hour ride time.

Edit: Ok -- Sq-Earl thinks the good loops at Hogtown/Sleeping Beauty would need more than 2 hours (we usually ride for 3-4 hours) and there is a lot of down tree limbs to deal with now.

If you get on I-87 it should only take you about 15 minutes to Spier Falls (exit 17N) or 25 minutes to SMBA trails (exit 15). Either one is fine with us.
Either or would be fine with me and my brother. Do you recommend one over the other? We got about 2.5 hours total including travel time. We'd like to ride longer, but the misseses would not approve. :dead:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Well, would you prefer lots of climbing and technical singletrack or not so much climbing, but great technical singletrack? Also, what type of bikes will you be riding? That may help us to choose a path.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
TreeSaw said:
Well, would you prefer lots of climbing and technical singletrack or not so much climbing, but great technical singletrack? Also, what type of bikes will you be riding? That may help us to choose a path.
I'll be on a Yeti 575 and my brother on a Specialized Stumpjumper. I'm not much of a climber, but am game for whichever.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
I am thinking you'll both enjoy the SMBA trails off Exit 15 better than the climbing spot (Spier Falls).
I agree! Can't wait!! You gonna send directions T? We have a trail maint. that morning so I'll be there early. :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
McGRP01 said:
I agree! Can't wait!! You gonna send directions T? We have a trail maint. that morning so I'll be there early. :)
Yeah...I will PM some directions. See you Sunday.

Also, if you want, we can meet them at the parking area and meet you at the Powerlines (since you'll be in there for maintenance). Let me know.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
TreeSaw said:
Yeah...I will PM some directions. See you Sunday.

Also, if you want, we can meet them at the parking area and meet you at the Powerlines (since you'll be in there for maintenance). Let me know.
Excellent, sounds like a plan. I'll also PM both you and McGRP01 my cel.

It's looking like a hot one on Sunday, 10:30 still sound like a good muster time?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
dogwonder said:
Excellent, sounds like a plan. I'll also PM both you and McGRP01 my cel.

It's looking like a hot one on Sunday, 10:30 still sound like a good muster time?
That works for us! We can even do a little earlier if you'd like...just let us know.