Quantcast

Old School Rules

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
The biggest difference is that with a leary your legs are bent and with a turndown your legs are straight. That and the bike is usually in a more vertical position in a turndown. They are close enough, though, that Harry Leary is generally credited with inventing the turndown.
Thanks Cru.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I think you're right on the year. It could be '92. Yeah, 1 1/8" wheels, Uni seat, Ecko helmet, Big Daddy Ralph's team uniform, and, of course, Vans. I started to wear the mask (sometimes) after I knocked out a tooth in a crash while I was wearing a jofa. I'm trying to remember the frame I was on, I think it was either a MCS or an ELF.
I liked the masks better myself. The Jofa's and JT's would kill my skin around the chin and mouth. Plus, the mask setup w/ some dark or mirrored lenses looked factory.

Extra Lite Frames and MCS's were big for the younger guys back then. I guy I raced w/ BITD rode for MCS for a bit - Michael Crehan. That dude was fast as hell. And was a nut. I remember going to an indoor race one winter and Crehan showed up w/ a GT painted bright pink. Bare in mind this was back in the early 80's ('83 IIRC) before pink hit freestyle. It was the first time I saw it and I read the mag's religously - I still remember thinking - wtf?!. He then proceeded to smoke everyone in his class. His leads were not measured by bike lengths. More like straightaways.

Another Crehan story at the same indoor track in Northampton, MA. Crehan was really into Ozzy and would crank tunes to before motos. He had Ozzy on the back of his pants instead of his own name like everyone else and a big Randy Rhodes sticker on his helmet. Anyway, a kid comes up to Crehan and wants to play another metal tape like Iron Maiden or something. Crehan's response, in a pretty thick Boston area accent: "No way man, nuthin' but Ozzy on this box... Nutin' but Ozzy!"

I got a lot faster racing him and watching tapes of him race. Here's a pretty dope old school pic when he was on Titan at the '85 NBL Grands:

Dig the Uni wheel covers. I think Uni hooked him up w/ some decent funds for running them. He said they would float him all over the place on wide open tracks that had any trace of a cross wind.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Thanks for the props on the site CHepler.2

And Cru, that can-can x, isn't that hard - if you can get a can-can, turning the bars acutally makes it easier. I haven't done one in years and can thank reading BMXA and studying the pics of Mad Dog Moeller for that trick - he's the first one I saw doing it.

More important to note in that pic, is the old wheelbarrow that moved a TON of dirt; the main berm that my dad help build w/ a backhoe and that CubCadet tractor that smoothed the straights by draging a hunk of chainlink fence with a tire on top, not to mention packed lips and landings by driving up and down. There are not many that have been digging as long as I have :D

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Miranda... that guy was awesome. Word is he's in running something at Woodward West now?
He was for a while, but not anymore. I kicked it with him last winter. He showed me some vid of him hitting this 15 foot drop to a 55 foot double, on a mountain bike. He over shot the drop, and got rag dolled down the hill. I think he broke like 5 ribs, and then got pnemonia from it. He was hurting bad. But he is a supra cool guy.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
He was for a while, but not anymore. I kicked it with him last winter. He showed me some vid of him hitting this 15 foot drop to a 55 foot double, on a mountain bike. He over shot the drop, and got rag dolled down the hill. I think he broke like 5 ribs, and then got pnemonia from it. He was hurting bad. But he is a supra cool guy.
Damn! That's sounds nuts. Bummer he got hurt. Did he go back to being a golf pro?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I must admit the first time I saw RAD I was blown away by how little had changed in freestyle, those dudes back in the day really ripped!
Yeah, and you have to realize that a lot of us learned our stuff just from pics in a magazine. Rad was like the first video for us old schoolers. And for some, that lived in real remote areas w/ a low rider count, it was even harder because you would just have a few friends to ride with.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
"Holk Hogan eat your heart out!!"

He was the first to backflip, right? I'm pretty sure his flip in Rad was the first flip on video.
I don't know if he was the first to ever do a backflip, but he made a career out of doing that one trick before lots of others started to do it.

And just to keep it moving along: Attack of the Cherrypickers!!!!

Martin Aparijo

Woody Itson

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
Hello, I'm new here. I thought I would share some pictures of my old BMX bike. I have had it for over 23 years:

Cool thread. Thanks for looking.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Sick sick rig. My trick star is officially an RCH away from being done. I was sitting on it in my living room last night....

Need chain and chain wheel and shes rollin'

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Hello, I'm new here. I thought I would share some pictures of my old BMX bike. I have had it for over 23 years:
Damn, nice bike! That thing is clean. Did the polished bolts come with the Redline Flight cranks? Mine are black, and stripped, I need new ones.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
Yeah, those are the original bolts. That's the way they came from Redline when I bought them new in '84. About 99% of it is original finish. All the chrome is OG except the pedal cages and my dad had them plated in '86.

Thanks for the compliments.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Damn, that thing is clean. My first racing bike was a JMC junior, I wish I still had it. I met Jim Melton once when he still had his shop; I think I was about 8 or 9. He was super nice and ended up giving my brother and me a bunch of stickers.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
Jim Melton is retired and living in Missouri. He is still just as cool as ever.

Thanks for the compliments.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cornfed, that is a gorgeous rig, way to go keeping that thing so cherry.

Moving on, here is a classic pic of one of the greatest racers of all time: Stompin' Stu Thompson!!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Cornfed - that JMC DY is DIALED! I don't give props on builds all that much especially all chrome ones as I'm a picky MF but that bike is amazing. Cool stuff some of these younger readers might not notice:

Finned Scott Mathauser pads
Bullseye hubs w/ all spoke heads on the outside (there was a name for that, something to do w/ Bicylce Soure/Steve Potts?)
Whale-tail chain tensioner - I'm thinking that thing would work well on some modern bikes - very cool design
Flying W - ESP stem - from what I know these things were rare even BITD.
Hutch Pedals - you did NOT want to slip a pedal w/ those things - it was almost as bad as what you have to pay for those pedals today.
JMC DY stuff - JMC stuff was like USB + Tonic + Nemesis. Looptail rear ends, pierced top tube, machined BB, built in seatclamp. Not to mentioned the dialed geometry. One bike I admired but never bought.
Zeronine MotoControl w/ Natch #18 - cornfed must have been as dialed as his bike!

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I just bought an 84 hutch Pro Racer to restore. I am looking forward to it, I always wanted one as a kid. There are a ton of tips on

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
smokin' sassafras. why isn't this history taught in public school systems?
history of style.

Don, you're an asset of knowledge to this action droppin' on the net here. I noticed that chain tensioner, but knew about nothing of what all else you posted there about cornfed's cherry rig above...
Seems it would bind some spokes pretty bad building the wheel with all the heads on the inside of the flanges though, leaving everything else overlapping...

that Vanderspeck pic blow's my lid everytime... Bruce Lee would have been proud, to see a man turn a simple tool into such a deadly weapon of force, haha....

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
Actually, those are Phil Wood hubs and spider. BITD the pattern was called "race lace". I do not know who came up w/ it but it is not new, that's for sure.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
The heads-in spoke pattern is controversial; I have found it to hold up well. It does make a funky bend about 1cm from the elbow. I have never had breakage issues. The pattern maximizes triangulation and creates alot of tension at the cross points. They seem stiffer/stronger to me.

If you reversed the pattern and made spokes heads out, it might add protection to the spokes for those who like to grind and tear them up...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That pic of Vander is so rad. Pretty sure that is Golden Gate Park in SF, correct? I didn't move to SF until '96 but I understand it was quite the scene - here is Ron Wilkerson on the cover of Freestylin'. You can still go out there and see people riding.