Quantcast

old tires?

tomyboy

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Irvine
What do you guys do with your old tires?

I rather not just throw in the trash because i'm a treehugger. are there any spots that recycle them? i know pedros takes tubes for making seat bags.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Specialized is starting a tire recycling program:

April 28, 2006– Morgan Hill, CA – Today Specialized introduced their new Recycle A Tire program which was created to put shredded treads to good use by repurposing used tires into dealer welcome mats. The first Specialized dealer to rollout the program was Capital Bicycle in Annapolis, Maryland, the company’s latest concept store (See story below). As part of the new program, bins specially designed to hold used tires will be placed in the showrooms of all the company’s concept stores in the United States. Each tire donor will receive a free commemorative water bottle for helping make the world a little greener.

Specialized’s home state of California generates more than 33 million waste tires every year, many of which are illegally dumped or stockpiled. “As outdoor enthusiasts, we’ve got an obvious interest in protecting the environment,” says Specialized president and founder Mike Sinyard. “The Recycle a Tire program is a simple way that we can help to make a real difference.” Acting on their commitment to research and develop new and innovative ways to cut and recycle waste, Specialized has teamed with West Coast Rubber Recycling of Gilroy, California in a pilot program to grind old tires into welcome mats that will be featured in Specialized dealers across the country.

For 2006 the Specialized Recycle A Tire program will be featured exclusively in Specialized concept store dealers; in 2007 the company plans to roll the program out in all of its American retailers.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have some old ones as well. I always think of either trashing them OR finding some poor kid who needs a newer tire than what he has. I have a couple though that I can't do much with.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
sanjuro said:

April 28, 2006– Morgan Hill, CA – Today Specialized introduced their new Recycle A Tire program which was created to put shredded treads to good use by repurposing used tires into dealer welcome mats. The first Specialized dealer to rollout the program was Capital Bicycle in Annapolis, Maryland, the company’s latest concept store (See story below). As part of the new program, bins specially designed to hold used tires will be placed in the showrooms of all the company’s concept stores in the United States. Each tire donor will receive a free commemorative water bottle for helping make the world a little greener.

Specialized’s home state of California generates more than 33 million waste tires every year, many of which are illegally dumped or stockpiled. “As outdoor enthusiasts, we’ve got an obvious interest in protecting the environment,” says Specialized president and founder Mike Sinyard. “The Recycle a Tire program is a simple way that we can help to make a real difference.” Acting on their commitment to research and develop new and innovative ways to cut and recycle waste, Specialized has teamed with West Coast Rubber Recycling of Gilroy, California in a pilot program to grind old tires into welcome mats that will be featured in Specialized dealers across the country.

For 2006 the Specialized Recycle A Tire program will be featured exclusively in Specialized concept store dealers; in 2007 the company plans to roll the program out in all of its American retailers.
Awesome idea and programe, only let down by:

Each tire donor will receive a free commemorative water bottle

Get rid of some unwanted hard to recycle waste, get another one free. WTF?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I scab old tubes and leave them with old tires (and clothes) hanging or propped up in the alley by my place, and they're always swooped up within a couple hours by the fairly good sized biking homeless population in Phoenix. If the tires are bigger than 2.1-2.3, they hang in my office/workshop until a buddy needs a spare.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
sanjuro said:

The first Specialized dealer to rollout the program was Capital Bicycle in Annapolis, Maryland, the company’s latest concept store.

That's one of the two shops here in town. It also happens to be the one I can't stand going to. In fact, about the only reason I could ever think of to go there would be to dump used tires.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
jdschall said:
That's one of the two shops here in town. It also happens to be the one I can't stand going to. In fact, about the only reason I could ever think of to go there would be to dump used tires.
whats the matter with capital? you like bike doctor better?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Dirty said:
whats the matter with capital? you like bike doctor better?
Not so much the shop as personal preference. I like to be left alone until I need something.

I've found the sales people to be a bit pushy (buy, buy, buy) and they follow you around the store like you are trying to steal something. I just don't like the 'vibe' I get there.

I much prefer Bikedoc, much more relaxed sales staff, much shorter wait on repairs, etc. Plus it's next to Trader Joes.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
There was a thread on here (i think) of someone who was using his tires for a floor mat. He was using it to work on his car motor. Weaved multiple tires on a peice of plywood i think.... Looked cool and it was a good way of re-using tires.

Maybe somebody not so lazy remembers and can remember a keyword to find it.....