Quantcast

Older Avid disc brake

Loner

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Sweden
I ordered an Avid mechanical disc brake for a friend for his birthday. Upon receiving the brake I noticed it's the old style caliper with magnetic pad retention. From what I've read there seems to be some issues with this system with rattling noises and such.

Is it possible to use the new style pads with a spring retention system on the older style caliper?

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
The old ones possibly came with some great pads stock (no numbers or letters on the pad back or B2's on back, then they had some loud squelly All weather pad I hated, I forget its designation at the moment), use them until they wearout then you can put the new C4 or B4 pads with springs in. Some B3 pads wore very fast. The magnets should stay stong for the first set of pads, I think they magnetized the center of the pistons there.

Loner

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Sweden
SKYWAYBUZZ said:
The old ones possibly came with some great pads stock (no numbers or letters on the pad back or B2's on back, then they had some loud squelly All weather pad I hated, I forget its designation at the moment), use them until they wearout then you can put the new C4 or B4 pads with springs in. Some B3 pads wore very fast. The magnets should stay stong for the first set of pads, I think they magnetized the center of the pistons there.
Thanks for the info!

The reason I'm asking is because I paid full price for a 3 year old brake (I think they redesigned it for 2002). The caliper has also been scratched during transport. Normally I would send it back again but this was the last one in stock and my friends birthday is in 2 weeks. So instead I thought that I could at least try to get a free pair of pads as compensation and thus wanted to know if there were any compatibility issues.