Quantcast

On the Wagon...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Due to some recent events (I won't bore you with the details
) , I've decided to put myself on a self imposed hiatus from alcohol. The duration of this hiatus will be one month, with my return to consumption being on April 3rd for my birthday party. Can't say that I don't have my doubts about my ability to do this (I really do love beer). It certainly will be a challange of mental fortitude!

Wish me luck!! :help:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
How many times have I said "I'll never drink again!" :nope:

Actually, I don't drink all that much any more. :)

Good luck though. A good month off of anything (well, anything that could count as a vice) can do wonders for you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good luck. I have never been able to drop beer for more than 2 days. I am bit of an insomniac and I either don't sleep, have a few beers at night or take sleeping pills. I figure a few beers before bedtime is the least damaging.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Good luck dude, it is a way of life for me. I love to go down for my Monday night Happy Hour.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Heidi said:
Good luck dude, it is a way of life for me. I love to go down for my Monday night Happy Hour.
Thanks Heidi. Yeah it was becoming a way of life for me too. Drinking a 6-pack Mon. - Sun. was getting expensive though. :blah:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I put myself on a hiatus until my 21st birthday in July. After spending six months in Australia I was on the 6 pack or so every two days(not including those nights we went out). Great beer, fairly cheap, easy to get. I came back and realized how much I dislike college parties because of cheap beer and how much bad beer I've drunk. I figure with XC season happening laying off beer will be good for the race results. Once I hit 21 though it'll be over. Of course then I'll need a job to pay for that beer.

The Ito

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
HA! I am on the wagon too !!

I started Saturday 3/26 when I woke up w/a hangover........that lasted for 10 hours :eek: BUT I went back on, so it has been 10 days, 15 hours 7 minutes and 27 seconds......my goal was 15 days

being single and on the wagon, kinda tough.......and slightly boring

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
McGRP01 said:
) , I've decided to put myself on a self imposed hiatus from alcohol. The duration of this hiatus will be one month, with my return to consumption being on April 3rd for my birthday party. Can't say that I don't have my doubts about my ability to do this (I really do love beer). It certainly will be a challange of mental fortitude!

Good luck, McG2. Wifey and I keep saying we're going to put the drinking on hiatus, then inevitably Friday night comes and it's martini time. It's not like we drink a lot, but we enjoy our Friday/Saturday martinis and wine.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:
Good luck, McG2. Wifey and I keep saying we're going to put the drinking on hiatus, then inevitably Friday night comes and it's martini time. It's not like we drink a lot, but we enjoy our Friday/Saturday martinis and wine.
Why in the world would you stop drinking? :p

Moderate drink is *good* for you! :thumb:

-S.S.-

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
McGRP01 said:
Thanks Heidi. Yeah it was becoming a way of life for me too. Drinking a 6-pack Mon. - Sun. was getting expensive though. :blah:
i hope you don't mean a 6 pack on each of those nights! by the time you get to 3 it's not good for you (or your liver :dead: ) any more

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Toshi said:
i hope you don't mean a 6 pack on each of those nights! by the time you get to 3 it's not good for you (or your liver :dead: ) any more
That is indeed what I mean...well close. I was drinking a 6-pack *at least* 4 nights a week. Not good at all. Moderation is not my strong suit.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
McGRP01 said:
That is indeed what I mean...well close. I was drinking a 6-pack *at least* 4 nights a week. Not good at all. Moderation is not my strong suit.

Holy crap! Life would be easier if you could learn moderation. Then you could still enjoy beer!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
During college, a school night meant drinking only a 6-pack; Non-school nights meant a 12-pack was destined for consumption. Did I mention all my classes were on Tuesdays and Thursdays?

Now, I rarely have more than 3-brews at a sitting and 6/growler is my upper limit...I just make sure they are 7% winter warmers or 6% oatmeal stouts on draft. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
llkoolkeg said:
Non-school nights meant a 12-pack was destined for consumption.
Used to drink a 12 pack of Beast Ice as warmup before going to the bars. I'd be hung over for a month if I tried that today.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Heidi said:
Holy crap! Life would be easier if you could learn moderation. Then you could still enjoy beer!
Oh, I'll always enjoy beer, this is just a "break". I'm no quitter!! :p
I just need a break to re-evaluate/appreciate things in my life. I lived by the "Too much of everything is just enough" rule for too long. Things will be better because of this I'm sure.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
llkoolkeg said:
During college, a school night meant drinking only a 6-pack; Non-school nights meant a 12-pack was destined for consumption. Did I mention all my classes were on Tuesdays and Thursdays?

Now, I rarely have more than 3-brews at a sitting and 6/growler is my upper limit...I just make sure they are 7% winter warmers or 6% oatmeal stouts on draft. :D
If it's good beer, my limit is 2. :D

If it's bad beer... my limit is 1. I'll finish a bad beer, but won't drink another. :p

-S.S.-

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Westy said:
Used to drink a 12 pack of Beast Ice as warmup before going to the bars. I'd be hung over for a month if I tried that today.
Beast Ice...that was all I drank in college when drinking beer to excess NOT at a bar. I drank good beer, too, but only at home or to "impress" women with my sophisticated taste. :rolleyes:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Westy said:
:stupid: LOL~we still drink enough (a couple of manhattans tonight ;) ) Long-neck beast bottles is where is at...that's what we used to start with before going out....that and vodka and koolaid. ;) (yes, my liver still hurts) :blah:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
McGRP01 said:

Get some O'Dooles

It will help.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Yeah I've been putting myself on a cutdown regimen as well. Being in college, I know it sounds ridiculous, but when me and my roommate were going through 3-4 30-packs of Keystone Light/week, we figured it was time to cut down. The kicker was the night we decided at midnight that we were going to drink a 30+a 6er that was in the fridge, and we couldnt' go to sleep until we did. That was a rough Tuesday.

But yeah, even my plan isn't superhealthy. Nothing during the week, and limiting myself to a fifth/night on Friday and Saturday. Cheap booze is a lot cheaper than cheap beer.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I didn't drink in college much - but after work on days like today, a girl just has to spoil herself with a glass of wine and relax and be ...well....silly.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
way to go killa'.

I cut back on my drinking to just 2 nights a week & never more than 3 drinks & I feel great. I wake up refreshed, with no headache & my stomach doesnt kill me. I enjoy a good beer or glass of vino a lot more now, too.

HellBentDH

Chimp
Apr 2, 2005
So how'd it go man? Did you make it? I just recently rediscovered the joy of beer after a couple of years of not drinking but maybe one or two every couple of months. Mmmm tequila is better than I remebered it too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
McGRP01,

What is your boozin' status?

I've been drinking 2-4 beers every night for the past few years. I tried cutting back in the past but was never successfull until the last few weeks. I've managed cut back to just enjoying a beer or every few days or so.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
There is no band wagon. It is like quiting smoking. You just stop and obstain. I still go to bars[15 years dry later] and party but Pepsi is my drink.
Going on the wagon means you take a break not quit.

and...beer is way over-rated.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Westy said:
McGRP01,

What is your boozin' status?

I've been drinking 2-4 beers every night for the past few years. I tried cutting back in the past but was never successfull until the last few weeks. I've managed cut back to just enjoying a beer or every few days or so.

I made it my one month that I was hoping to, and then got lit at my birthday party. I can honstly say that I have cut my consumption in half though. I have been drinking less frequently and consuming less when I do drink. Although, going to a all-inclusive in Jamaica did boost my numbers for that week.