Quantcast

Once again...I'm stupid...

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So, went to our local MX track yesterday and had the time of my life. Best riding I've ever done...never felt faster! Starting to get my confidence up riding ruts way faster then I ever thought I could, working on whips too...it was a blast. BUT then my braap machine stopped going braaaaapppp.

Before I started riding I checked the oil and it was about 3/4 full and I checked it again about half way through the day and it was below 1/2. Well I topped it off to full and kept riding. Aparently something happened and there must have been a bad leak. On the last lap I was going to hit a step up and barely made it up in 4th (usually hit it wide open in 3rd and make it fine). I thought that was strange so pulled off and started riding back to my truck. THEN it starts making a really s**tty noise so I shut it off and walked it to the truck.

Got home last night and checked the oil...bone dry and cant move the starter :( Anybody have any suggestions for what I should do? Should I rebuild the motor (have friends that can get me the parts for really cheap and cheap labor), buy a new motor or just part this bike out and get an older 2 stroke.

My bike is an '05 CRF 250R

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Is there oil visable on the outside of the bike?

Sounds to me like you fried the rings and were sending the oil out the tailpipe. Time for a rebuild.
There was a little out of one of the engine plugs that I saw. My buddy that was there said he didn't see it really smoking though. The bike only has about 10hrs on it since the top end was done with titanium valves and cosworth piston and other random cool stuff I was told to get.

I guess it could have been a combo of those two though :~

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well there really isnt alot of oil in those engines to begin with, remember its a four stroke, you really shouldnt be seeing any smoke at all. The fact that its an engine that is regularly run WOT though is something to take into consideration.

We used to tear down our two stroekd every ten to fifteen hours when we were running them really hard......Your biggest hope is that its in teh engine and not transmission

Almost sounds like you didnt get a good and proper break in on the motor when you rebuilt it