Quantcast

One of a thousand reasons why I ride a mountain bike

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I have been riding the same 7.8 mile local trail for about 13 years now; when I started riding there were rumors of a guy who could ride the trail in 39 minutes. Back in those day I can remember coming home and be exited that I could ride the loop in 50min. Over the past few years my fitness level has been pretty good, I could ride the loop in about 43- 45min almost at will. However I have a few friends that have broken the sub 40 mark – I think the best time I know of is a 37:10 – and on this trail that is FLYING. So my goal for the past 3 years has been to break that sub 40 mark.
This year I have been in the best shape of my life – almost any day I can ride a 42min lap. Then I decided to try out a single speed! My first ride ever on a single speed and I did a 40:13 – I couldn’t freaking believe it. (That was about 2 weeks ago)
This past weekend was no different than any other weekend – I met up with some riding buddies and we started riding. The start of the ride was a little faster than normal but nothing crazy – until the ½ mile mark where you choose to take the long way or the short way. 2 of us chose the long way and the other 2 chose the short way. I made one comment and that started the storm – “you know we have to catch them” Not only did I catch them but past them and put down a 38:50 my first sub 40 lap.
A 3 year mission completed – and that’s one reason why I mountain bike!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Nice job - I think I might be faster on my SS as well - not sure though and heck I'm slow as hell to begin with - so being faster isn't being all that fast.

I think it makes me climb faster though - because - well - you have to!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It's cool to see yourself progress. I don't normally gauge my progress on time (except maybe on road rides), rather I notice when I can finally make it up tough climbs without stopping or in a higher gear.

Edit: Like the climb up at the bottom of Switchback at Kingdom Trails. The first time I rode there, I could not make that climb. Last year I zipped right up...twice.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
It's cool to see yourself progress. I don't normally gauge my progress on time (except maybe on road rides), rather I notice when I can finally make it up tough climbs without stopping or in a higher gear.

Edit: Like the climb up at the bottom of Switchback at Kingdom Trails. The first time I rode there, I could not make that climb. Last year I zipped right up...twice.
I know what you mean - however here in MD (at least around my hood) there really isn't much climbing, how about NO climbing. And what I would consider a hill you would laugh at. Part of the reason why I get my ass kicked when I do XC races.
So lap times are really the only way a can get an idea of how I'm riding.