Quantcast

Opening Day in Mammoth

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Did anyone go to Mammoth last weekend? I'm wondering how the conditions are, and if it would be worth going up there this early in the season?

BillT

Monkey
It only looks like they have the lower part of the mountain open - Uptown, Downtown, Big Ring, Shotgun, the lower part of Bullet, Paper Route, Timber Ridge, and Juniper. The upper mountain (from the main lodge up) still has a bunch of snow and I don't think they are even going to try to clear/open those trails until after they officially end skiing on 7/4. I would love to hear if anyone has ridden there yet.

I'm most interested in hearing what kind of timeframe they have for building/opening up the 4 new trails they have mentioned on latest trail map as they sound great.

webb

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
echo park
I was up there last weekend- camped in the luxurious pit campground in bishop and was fine in a light 3 season sleeping bag. a buddy of mine slept in his car and was fine.

as far as the mountain goes, everything is open from chairlift 2 down, but that's not that much of the mountain. there are two "dh" trails open, shotgun and bullet, but they're not super technical. lots and lots of fun, but not technical.

the new trails do look like they'll be sick. after the 4th, they're going to start plowing, and the prediction was that all of the mountain would be open for biking in 4 weeks.

webb

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
echo park
oh yeah, the two dh trails take about 5 minutes for me (traditionally the slowest on mt. wilson rides) to get down. not exactly "long".

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
A friend of mine was up there and said it was cold and wet, and a rip casue they're still chargeing full price even though less than a 1/4 of the mountain is open for use.

BillT

Monkey
Thanks for the update Webb! I'm heading there from Florida in mid-August and hoping that everything will be open by then including the new trails.

Any idea if the new trails be ready to go with the rest of the mountain in a couple of weeks?

The full Bullet trail is probably my favorite trail on the mountain but I haven't done Chainsmoke or all of Velocity yet.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Zutroy said:
A friend of mine was up there and said it was cold and wet, and a rip casue they're still chargeing full price even though less than a 1/4 of the mountain is open for use.
It doesn't surprise me that they are charging full price. What is the price of a day pass these days?

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I think its like $34!! As you can see on the new trail map the freeride trails are proposed! I remember a few years back when chainsmoke was on the map, it didnt happen untill 2 years later, I dont think those trails will be open this year, if they do it will be super late in the season!

IntenseR3

Chimp
May 26, 2005
Balboa Island
Having done "resort" downhill at Whistler the last 3 years, I am a little spoiled. I now live in SoCal and need a fix. Does Mammoth have any built stunts or drops?? Or is it just pure DH trail riding?

BillT

Monkey
merrrrjig said:
I think its like $34!! As you can see on the new trail map the freeride trails are proposed! I remember a few years back when chainsmoke was on the map, it didnt happen untill 2 years later, I dont think those trails will be open this year, if they do it will be super late in the season!
Chainsmoke was on the trail map the last time I was in Mammoth which was 2 years ago but never opened. I hope they are quicker with the new trails as from their descriptions they appear to be exactly what Mammoth needs.

webb

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
echo park
yeah, it's right around $34. for rides that take 20 min and a shuttle that shows up on the half hour. not exactly sweet.

the new trails are marked as dotted lines on the map. the implication is that they will be built, but they probably weren't planning on all of the snow. if they open all of them, there will be plenty of riding.

I was on the "body armor and full face required" trail, and there were no drops. there was one log ride, but that was it as far as stunts go.

BillT

Monkey
The lifts won't be running until sometime after 7/4 as the upper part of the mountain is still under snow. They have a shuttle that will pick you up by the village at take you up to the Adventure Center so you can hit the open trails.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
mtnbrider said:
How do you load the bikes on the lift? Is it like whistler?
Gondolas man. You put your bike inside and get to set with it if you're a single or if you're a double you go in the next gondola. Once you get to the top a cute blonde girlie will take your bike out and wait for you to get out of your gondola then she hands you your bike gives you a kiss and says "pin it, big boy" So it's much better than whistler. :blah:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ncrider said:
Gondolas man. You put your bike inside and get to set with it if you're a single or if you're a double you go in the next gondola. Once you get to the top a cute blonde girlie will take your bike out and wait for you to get out of your gondola then she hands you your bike gives you a kiss and says "pin it, big boy" So it's much better than whistler. :blah:
LMAO...

I think I see a good idea for a shirt... hottie blonde on the back with a caption that says, "Pin it Big boy".

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
ncrider said:

Last year they had it set 2 bike/riders per gondola, man i just been there on the wrong day, all i got was a guy staring at my hard tail saying your going to ride that down Kamakazi? Kids these days.

There's a lot of riding there, even if it's not all "Full face and spine-protector DH" to all people. Certainly, anyone that can get from the actual top to the bottom of the mountain where the shuttles are, in 20 minutes should be wearing that kind of gear and ringing a large bell...

The Gondolas are quite fast, at least in comparison to Big Bear, since you climb twice as far in half the time as the chairs on Snow Summit.

"Chainsmoke" starts halfway up the hill from the Lodge, very near the mid-chalet and does have a drop. I got a real good look at it and several riders doing it as I walked my bike around the bypass and adjusted my tutu.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
people need to stop going to whistler then asking for trails like it here. There's really nothing like Whistler anywhere around here. Mammoth is kinda sandy, and REALLY fun!

Brian

webb

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
echo park
EBasil said:
There's a lot of riding there, even if it's not all "Full face and spine-protector DH" to all people. Certainly, anyone that can get from the actual top to the bottom of the mountain where the shuttles are, in 20 minutes should be wearing that kind of gear and ringing a large bell...
it only takes 20 min because nothings open, not that I'm fast.