Quantcast

opinions on 26" wheelsets

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i'm looking at atomlab (pimp/pimp lite), azonic, halo (combat/sas/freedom), etc.

best in terms of lightness but also strength. 6'1"195 lb.

this will be for a blackmarket mob build.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
i'm looking at atomlab (pimp/pimp lite), azonic, halo (combat/sas/freedom), etc.

best in terms of lightness but also strength. 6'1"195 lb.

this will be for a blackmarket mob build.
I have the halo SAS and even though they are quite heavy they are also strong, 48 spokes is great for the back. I may get a new lighter hub up front though.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
You're looking for a premade wheelset? Or, would you piece it and have it built? I love my setup, I've been shredding hard on it for about a year and a half now with no problems. Atomlab Aircorp SS, Aircorp 20mm up front, laced to Mavic 721s. Super light, super strong. If I had to do it now, I would get the Pimp hub up front instead of the Aircorp. It looks like an Aircorp, but it's lighter and cheaper.

Plus, the Aircorp SS is one of the sweetest sounding hubs ever.... bzzzzzzzzz.

Fish777

Chimp
Aug 26, 2007
I have atomlab pimp rims. The front is laced to a atomlab GI 20mm hub in 32h and the rear is a 36h laced to the nashbar SS hub.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Currently running Woodman SS (same as nashbar) rear and Woodman front laced to Mavic EX721, 36 spoke. Can't beat the weight to strength ratio IMO.

If I did it again I would use Profile hubs.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
does the atomlab aircorp s.s. hub only come in 32h, it says 36h on the site, but in the web-store only lists a 32h....?

also is the 12t cog a thread on style it looks to be but using a cassette carrier for lack of better terms....(makes me wonder if it would come loose)????

it's between this and the profile s.s. hub leaning towards a 36h set up though.... just curious....

sorry to derail the thread.. but thought it was relevant.

I'm also a huge fan of the mavic ex721 rims, nice weight and strength... only thing that bugs me about the atomlab rims is the pinned only seam....

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
It looks like the 9t is a driver set-up and all of the rest are thread-on style. At least that is what I get from the description. They are heavier than I thought at 580g - but nice.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
does the atomlab aircorp s.s. hub only come in 32h, it says 36h on the site, but in the web-store only lists a 32h....?

also is the 12t cog a thread on style it looks to be but using a cassette carrier for lack of better terms....(makes me wonder if it would come loose)????

it's between this and the profile s.s. hub leaning towards a 36h set up though.... just curious....

sorry to derail the thread.. but thought it was relevant.

I'm also a huge fan of the mavic ex721 rims, nice weight and strength... only thing that bugs me about the atomlab rims is the pinned only seam....
Mine is 32h. You're right, though, it says it comes in 36h, as well. Might be out of them. Email mike@atomlab.com and he'll tell you what's up.

Yeah, the aircorp ss comes with a cassette driver that takes thread on cogs like these...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS408B10-Funn+Bullet+Ss+Cassette+Cog.aspx

Think of it as a normal 1 piece driver, but you can change the cog by threading it on or off. It doesn't come loose. Actually, it's kind of a pain to get off because it gets so tight as you pedal. You can also use aftermarket bmx drivers like the odyssey. Hope that helps.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
How are the atomlab pimp rear hubs? Anybody know?

I'm looking at picking one up because I toasted a Ringle hub and the price is right. Since I had a kid, it seems I'm always tight on cash so that is a big consideration. I might get that or the Transition Revolution (I like the idea of a solid 10mm QR). Any other good options for 135 mm cassette hubs in the sub $100 price range?

Thanks

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
32h rims sketch me out. at least on the rear. yuck. maybe it's my 48h bmx background.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
32h is fine unless its hacked to death. The atomlab are sweet, I havent' run that rear hub though, I use pimp/pimp lites and GI hubs right now

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
profile hubs front and back. rear with 10 t ti driver, ti bolts. laced with dt comp spokes, alu nipples of your fancy, and either 721's or the new sun mtx light rim

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Decided to go Profile on the rear. Built the wheel last week. I love this hub. So much so I am getting the front to match now...

MTB SS 135mm disc with Titanium Shimano cassette.