Quantcast

Opinions on Hutchinson Mosquito's please

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The 2.3 are a light tire for a 2.3. The knobs look a little sparse to me but they are "that European rubber" that some people say grips better than others. It is now the rainny season here and my Michelins are getting rounded off. I refuse to buy downhill tires because they weigh a ton and I do not need flat protection like they have.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
I've heard good things about the Mosquitos, but I haven't used them myself. You might want to check out the WTB Motoraptor 2.4, Reasonable weight and an outstanding tire if you ask me. More words about them here.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I'm interested as well. Let us know what you find out if no one makes satisfactory posts. I'm looking to winterize my rig.

Has anyone heard anything good about Michellins? I don't know the model, but they look similar to the Hutchs'.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I'm running some Michelin Wildgripper XLS right now. Straight line traction is very good but the edge knobs are squirmy. The tread pattern is a little busy for our wet loose mud and roots.

I have a set of 2.4 Motoraptors but they just fit on the rear. One broken spoke and we're buzzin'. Also I like them in the summer when its dry but not in the winter. Plus they're just a bit heavy for my tastes. I like a tire under 600 gms. Over that and they feel a little piggy. It disturbes my finely honed timing (HaHa) and I start riding into logs rather than over them.

I know this is diverging from your original question, but since WTB has entered the discussion, I find that the Motoraptors tend to sideslip on roots and rocks a lot more than Velociraptors, which I finally settled on. I have a couple of pairs of Motoraptors hanging in the garage, no idea, really, what to do with them.

J

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
I only run the Motoraptor 2.4 on the front of my SS. On the rear I run a Panaracer Smoke Classic 2.1. Don't have any problems on the roots, and we've got plenty around here. Run the Velociraptor 2.1 on the front of my geared bike. Like that a lot also. Smoke classic on the rear of that bike also.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by oldfart
I think I'll snag a pair today. I'm planning a ride tonight so if I get 'em on I'll give you a report.
Happy BDay oldfart :)

:monkey:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
So I picked up a pair of 2.3s last evening and went and rode them for a couple hours. They work very well. Traction was as good as any knobby and the roll very well. They feel smoother than any tire I've used recently. Could be the thin airlight casing but I like.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Just how wide is the Hutch 2.3? I know my conti 2.3s are more like others' 2.1s...but I love them anyhow.

What's your take on their performance in loose, dry stuff?

Thanks...

Mike

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I have not measured them but they are bigger than most 2.1s. I get away with about 25psi in them on the rear and less up front. Too low and they'll be rolling over under hard turns because I use XC rims. Loose and dry. Dude, I live in North Van, I just put them on, its not summer. I won't see loose and dry for 7 months.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, maybe you've a gravel driveway or a sandbox, lol...if it's not snowing too badly up there yet.

Thanks for the info. I may just have to try a set sometime. Later,

Mike

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bump.

Mosquito 2.3" is my favorite front tire. Hutchinson discontinued them. Anyone know where to get them anymore?