Quantcast

Outback for MBC

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Congrats on the new car. We are currently thinking about getting a little travel trailer but our 4Runner is not really big/new enough to tow it for long. So, do we get a super light trailer and hope the 4Runner lasts, or get a truck and a bigger trailer. The 4Runner is paid off but has 200,000 miles on it.

badphish

Monkey
Feb 28, 2008
Nice...did I mention the '10's were bigger!? I never knew just how much. That pic says a lot!
It's deceiving. There not much bigger. 2" taller and 2" Wider. 2010 is half an inch shorter length-wise. I was thinking about trading in my '06 for a '10. I found this site when I wanted to find out if the cargo area was smaller because it looks it. It's not though.
http://www.truedelta.com/

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Congrats on the new car. We are currently thinking about getting a little travel trailer but our 4Runner is not really big/new enough to tow it for long. So, do we get a super light trailer and hope the 4Runner lasts, or get a truck and a bigger trailer. The 4Runner is paid off but has 200,000 miles on it.
You can't kill a 4Runner. Keep it!! ;)

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
It's deceiving. There not much bigger. 2" taller and 2" Wider. 2010 is half an inch shorter length-wise. I was thinking about trading in my '06 for a '10. I found this site when I wanted to find out if the cargo area was smaller because it looks it. It's not though.
http://www.truedelta.com/
Yeah, true if you're comparing to the previous model ('05 thru '09), but compared to Bab's era Outback ('00 thru '04) the margin is bigger...
I dunno, I love our Outback ('00), but this new model seems to have taken the same design cues that "crossover" SUV's take (Think Toyota Venza), same overall length, wider by a lot, wheels pushed to the corners of the car, short hood line, tall cabin, (less like a "wagon" more like an SUV) To me if they made so much more room inside, why not introduce a 3rd row seat or something, not just the same ole seating for 5 plus cargo...

Sorry for the slight derail. MBC, How about some more pics of the new car, I'm curious to see it with people & gear inside...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah, true if you're comparing to the previous model ('05 thru '09), but compared to Bab's era Outback ('00 thru '04) the margin is bigger...
I dunno, I love our Outback ('00), but this new model seems to have taken the same design cues that "crossover" SUV's take (Think Toyota Venza), same overall length, wider by a lot, wheels pushed to the corners of the car, short hood line, tall cabin, (less like a "wagon" more like an SUV) To me if they made so much more room inside, why not introduce a 3rd row seat or something, not just the same ole seating for 5 plus cargo...
Toyota owns a big piece of Subaru now. The new Outback has some parts sharing with the Toyota Camry (like the Venza). I think this is the reason they switched to cheesy fixed side view mirrors (like the Camry). In fact the Subaru plant now builds Camry's on some of their lines.

Third row seating in these small to medium SUVs are a joke - they only work for little kids at best. You need a vehicle at least as big as the Honda Pilot if not bigger for them to become useful. Otherwise the third row is just a marketing bulletpoint...

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
your aging memory is failing you! i crashed into a wall, not another car. it was another car spinning at the same place that almost hit us as we surveyed the damage.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
your aging memory is failing you! i crashed into a wall, not another car. it was another car spinning at the same place that almost hit us as we surveyed the damage.

And that car was a SUBARU!

Proving my point, that all-wheel drive cars can be unpredicatable in the rain.
(yes, I remember you citing fluids from a previous accident)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
And that car was a SUBARU!

Proving my point, that all-wheel drive cars can be unpredicatable in the rain.
(yes, I remember you citing fluids from a previous accident)
i also blame mods: no, not IRB :D but rather an aftermarket center diff (amongst the other crap that the previous owner had thrown on). that WRX had very different cornering behavior on- and off-throttle. that was nice to get the car to rotate at autocrosses but came to bite me in the ass when i lifted in the corner. whoops.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
When you're ready to buy - the dealers will find you one.:)
haha LOL LOLZZ! ha

Not true.

Subaru has a aweful quality ranking right now, I would steer clear of one. It will probably end up in the shop more than on the road and who knows how much that will cost you when the warranty expires rather quick from your hight milage habits.

Used cars are not the best option right now. Used prices are way up and supply is way down.

December is one of the best months to purchase a new vehicle. Typically sales are slow, inventories are high, incentives are really good and some brands have leftover model years depending on when they make changes.

Never pay more than $200 over invoice on a non-premuim brand from dealer stock. If they won't show you the invoice go to someone that will.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
December is one of the best months to purchase a new vehicle. Typically sales are slow, inventories are high, incentives are really good and some brands have leftover model years depending on when they make changes.

Never pay more than $200 over invoice on a non-premuim brand from dealer stock. If they won't show you the invoice go to someone that will.
i heard December was the best time to buy.

im going to one more dealer on Saturday and then im getting my truck

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Chicodudes not even old enough to have worn out a car.
I take care of my stuff. my truck is 20 years old with 200k on it and it should be good for another 2 years.

And I don't trade in my car because its not shiny enough.

Debt is FUN!!!! enjoy it

Last edited: