Quantcast

Outbound DH evo lights ?? Or ?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Also, the light n motion stuff auto dims in the cold after like 20min IME. Im never buying another.
Never had that problem, but also never nite ride when it's below freezing.

Light n Motion has been the brand I've used for many hundreds of hours. A few different ones on the helmet, and a few different Secas on the bars. Always solid and zero issues in my experience. I busted the glass lens in one of the small helmet lights, and they gave me a new light FOC, great customer service.

There was a standing Thursday night ride for many years back in NorCal, usually in the redwoods where it is DARK and often wet in the winter. I have tried quite a few brands out over the years. Seen more than a few Magic Shines shit the bed.... :p

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I told them the charging had failed and i could no longer plug in the usb. They basically said F-you.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've been using Niterider Lumina 1200 lights for years and years. I use the helmet mount option. They're not KOM chasing bright but they've never failed me. Super convenient, usb charging, no cords while riding, lasts long enough to get a solid ride in. I always throw a spare in my pack in case I have an issue or run out of battery.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Went to niterider today and also grabbed a couple of different lights to play with as well.
4200 pro and 2200 proView attachment 202635
Night Rider went a bit weird, I have the 4000 and was surprised that it wasn't programmable like the ones before it, forcing it to throttle back when the battery voltage dropped off would have been handy.
The remote for mine is also a bit short, I can't get it to a useful spot, it's like it was made to suit a 710mm bar.
The plug is also insanely difficult to get back together on the trail if it gets yanked out, it's the most shit design ever.

It is otherwise good, it's nice to be able to do a few after work rides without having to charge it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@boostindoubles I grabbed 2 1200 lumina for the wife usb charge style...will do well...I got those for wife and as backups per headmasters recommendation....love the USB charge and size

@HardtailHack yeah the D ring cord adapter is a pain in the butt (should have flat side marked or a channel so you can feel it), even sitting on shop messing with it lol..cord length seems a good bit haven't mounted them yet. I understand they have a pretty defined cut off beam pattern below , if I were planning on trail riding with it I might be worried but I'll be viewing a ways ahead most of the time...

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
ha! I thought about coming here to post that, but I figured you'd already be on it.. and lo and behold!

Not discounting what they're riding (that's properly nuts), but that trails seems to be fairly slow. I'm more curious how those lights would do on some of the faster, higher speed trails like Original Sin or something like that. That also has high-speed gnar...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Before someone else says it, pretty sure light travels faster than even the fastest guys.., har har har. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, you definitely need more beam penetration/length the faster you go, same way you need to look further ahead the faster you go when it's light out.

I've used Lupine lights for many years and have been pretty happy, particularly with the quality and bluetooth switch, but they're super expensive. I'll probably give Outbound a shot, everyone I know who has them, loves them. That said, it's too bad the new Portal headlamp just got pushed out to mid-December.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
(bushes were hurt in the making of this, turned lights off)

Niterider: use DH
4200 For speed and hauling ass niterider, doesn't matter it has a low cut off and your past that spot so fast at speed anywase..
2200 could be a bit more spot beam oriented, throws a good beam but in this case pattern is better on outbound hangover...

Outbound: use ENDURO
Has an amazing spread and matched with the hangover helmet light they work together brilliant..it would be good at mid to semi high speed it has coverage everywhere so slow climbs, tight twisty etc this is a better choice..
The light coverage between both are so complimentary of each other as claimed.

All out speed, bush, drops and rocks niterider for tight trails mid to fast and climbing outbound ..outbound did an amazing job of a self contained unit and the Evo package works together amazing..

The outbound has a better spread, but when I decided to take trail through bushes , rocks , turns and hauling ass on way back to house...I tried both...niterider just has the horsepower and bright kelvin that gets rid of any muddy shadows.

Outbound has no real noticeable line of light width that catches peripheral vision like almost every light I've ever ran in past..including the niterider..it's just illuminating all over..(if they could raise kelvin and make it a bit brighter it would be a brilliant DH race light, double the bar or at least half again more..)

Niterider 4200
20231028_185628.jpg

Niterider 4200 and 2200 (didn't aim it up oops)
20231028_185829.jpg

Outbound bar evo
20231028_185553.jpg

Outbound combo
20231028_185908.jpg

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
(bushes were hurt in the making of this, turned lights off)

Niterider: use DH
4200 For speed and hauling ass niterider, doesn't matter it has a low cut off and your past that spot so fast at speed anywase..
2200 could be a bit more spot beam oriented, throws a good beam but in this case pattern is better on outbound hangover...

Outbound: use ENDURO
Has an amazing spread and matched with the hangover helmet light they work together brilliant..it would be good at mid to semi high speed it has coverage everywhere so slow climbs, tight twisty etc this is a better choice..
The light coverage between both are so complimentary of each other as claimed.

All out speed, bush, drops and rocks niterider for tight trails mid to fast and climbing outbound ..outbound did an amazing job of a self contained unit and the Evo package works together amazing..

The outbound has a better spread, but when I decided to take trail through bushes , rocks , turns and hauling ass on way back to house...I tried both...niterider just has the horsepower and bright kelvin that gets rid of any muddy shadows.

Outbound has no real noticeable line of light width that catches peripheral vision like almost every light I've ever ran in past..including the niterider..it's just illuminating all over..(if they could raise kelvin and make it a bit brighter it would be a brilliant DH race light, double the bar or at least half again more..)

Niterider 4200
View attachment 202761
Niterider 4200 and 2200 (didn't aim it up oops)
View attachment 202762

Outbound bar evoView attachment 202763

Outbound combo
View attachment 202764
front tire's on backwards

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That's always been my concern with the Outbound lights, I'm worried the flood is too strong or would overpower my helmet light. I'd love to give them a try to see if this is a misguided position, but I don't know anyone that has some, and it's a little too expensive to get some just to test out the theory.
Different strokes maybe? My outbound dumps enough light everywhere that the main place I want my helmet light is in hard corners where I want to look through the corner without having to turn my bars too far. That said, both my helmet and bar mounted light are bright enough I can pretty comfortably ride with either or if I forget one and it's not a big deal.

If it's one or the other, I'll take the outbound. It's akin to having a car headlight on the front of your bike. It throws good light at once about to come under your tire, but also good light at the stuff that's 50 feet out. I don't really have sightlines longer than that on the trails I night ride, and even 50 is pretty rare because my night riding is always through the woods, so ymmv if you're out in the more open areas in the west. I'd imagine it'd be pretty dang easy to just aim it up further if you wanted to though.

My takeaway is that complaint/fear looks reasonable on paper, but the realities of use is that the outbound is pretty great always, and that it's main flaws are weight, and the fact that it's hard stuck to your handlebar which makes looking through harder corners challenging. There's a little bit of "jesus take the wheel" in hoping you're nailing the apex/curve of the corner for high speed lean corners/berms if you're running it solo without a helmet light. But even when I was living in the pacNW and those tight bermed corners and catch berms were pretty regular, there would only be 2-3 corners per ride where I'm truly aiming into the dark if I didn't remember to bring my helmet light with me.

I have a 1000 lumen helmet light so not that relevant because its bright enough to run solo, but even a cheap 200 lumen light would probably be enough for those situations.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Different strokes maybe? My outbound dumps enough light everywhere that the main place I want my helmet light is in hard corners where I want to look through the corner without having to turn my bars too far. That said, both my helmet and bar mounted light are bright enough I can pretty comfortably ride with either or if I forget one and it's not a big deal.

If it's one or the other, I'll take the outbound. It's akin to having a car headlight on the front of your bike. It throws good light at once about to come under your tire, but also good light at the stuff that's 50 feet out. I don't really have sightlines longer than that on the trails I night ride, and even 50 is pretty rare because my night riding is always through the woods, so ymmv if you're out in the more open areas in the west. I'd imagine it'd be pretty dang easy to just aim it up further if you wanted to though.

My takeaway is that complaint/fear looks reasonable on paper, but the realities of use is that the outbound is pretty great always, and that it's main flaws are weight, and the fact that it's hard stuck to your handlebar which makes looking through harder corners challenging. There's a little bit of "jesus take the wheel" in hoping you're nailing the apex/curve of the corner for high speed lean corners/berms if you're running it solo without a helmet light. But even when I was living in the pacNW and those tight bermed corners and catch berms were pretty regular, there would only be 2-3 corners per ride where I'm truly aiming into the dark if I didn't remember to bring my helmet light with me.

I have a 1000 lumen helmet light so not that relevant because its bright enough to run solo, but even a cheap 200 lumen light would probably be enough for those situations.
Doing jump-lines, skinnies and drops?

I did a few night rides recently and it was pretty evident that I needed significant "power" to properly illuminate for those speeds. Running the helmet-XSV at mid setting, which is about 2000 or so how I have it set up. But being able to control it with a remote is also the bees knees.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

The helmet light on outbound is pretty damn amazing for its output they have a new one coming out.

Nightrider 2200 pro leaves a little to be desired for a claimed 2200...but it's color and beam is great on conjunction with the bar light..
Yeah outbound has the best spread I've ever seen, I just need it brighter, need to burn the shadows out and see what's coming up ...I'm a fan of a whiter light, for me and speed it works better...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My Cygolites have a decidedly "non-white" beam color. IME, it doesn't really matter, you don't notice if it's white or off-white after a few moments.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
There are a good few Yoochoobs out recently with the new Magicshine 120000000 lumen lights being used locally. (local yoochoobers here are epidemic level)
make it look like they're riding towards a Projector movie of poorly ridden mtb in shite conditions.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Doing jump-lines, skinnies and drops?

I did a few night rides recently and it was pretty evident that I needed significant "power" to properly illuminate for those speeds. Running the helmet-XSV at mid setting, which is about 2000 or so how I have it set up. But being able to control it with a remote is also the bees knees.
Jump lines and drops, yes. Skinnies absolutely not, they don't belong on mountain bike trails and I do my best to not touch em even if it means dragging my bike through the bushes. But that said, the jump lines and drops I've done night rides on are ones I've ridden and am very familiar with from daytime riding and could probably ride with a cellphone camera light giving me just enough to know vaguely where the lips are.

The helmet light on outbound is pretty damn amazing for its output they have a new one coming out.

Nightrider 2200 pro leaves a little to be desired for a claimed 2200...but it's color and beam is great on conjunction with the bar light..
Yeah outbound has the best spread I've ever seen, I just need it brighter, need to burn the shadows out and see what's coming up ...I'm a fan of a whiter light, for me and speed it works better...
Makes sense to be honest. I've only ever ridden it in the woods where you can't see trail further than 50 ft out because of trees, ferns, and trail turns even in broad daylight. I just don't really have any experience riding at night in areas with more clear sightlines like SoCal.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
this is sort of my situation. 90% of the time, sight lines are short, and I can ride with low light. But I ride for that 10% of situations, and that's what I buy my lights for. We typically don't have purpose-built trails here. So if there's a DH section, it's on natural trail with poor drainage, lots of rocks and roots, covered in wet leaves and mud, and sometimes frost. I need to be able to pick out the big features that will send me off into the rhubarb far in advance...

Anyways, that season is almost done here. fatbiking on snow doesn't really require the full lighting experience. I can wait till outbound introduces their next helmet light and see if that could work with how I prefer to ride...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The reason not to get an outbound light is because it's expensive. Not because it won't be awesome.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I didn't think the helmet light was dealbreakingly expensive at all. £70 Shipping on top was tho.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The reason not to get an outbound light is because it's expensive. Not because it won't be awesome.
I'd wait for the new one.. I wouldn't buy the hangover light again..it's good but needs more throw.

I'd take niterider over outbound but The niterider is also 2200 lumens and has a good color but I also think it needs a better throw as well..

The outbounds will fill majority of what most riders want for sure and do it less complicated and cumbersome with brilliant beam pattern.

I just want to go fast, loose and nasty...once in a while and not outgun my throw.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'd wait for the new one.. I wouldn't buy the hangover light again..it's good but needs more throw.

I'd take niterider over outbound but The niterider is also 2200 lumens and has a good color but I also think it needs a better throw as well..

The outbounds will fill majority of what most riders want for sure and do it less complicated and cumbersome with brilliant beam pattern.

I just want to go fast, loose and nasty...once in a while and not outgun my throw.
With the outbound stuff, the bar light is about 2200 lumens and the head is 1000, so you are way down on light output compared to the niterider pair. The outbound looks like a perfect setup for regular in the bush trail-riding. Would definitely be on the radar if my goworms ever die.

Don't you find a cool light tone harder to read shadows? I don't want old-school yellow either, but a warm white in the 4-4.5k range I find is the sweet spot. Not sure if they still do, but gloworm had a choice of warm or cool white and I went warm due to my lacklustre experiences bush camping with early cool white led lights. I find the warm lights easier to ride with than the cooler whites my buddies have.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
With the outbound stuff, the bar light is about 2200 lumens and the head is 1000, so you are way down on light output compared to the niterider pair. The outbound looks like a perfect setup for regular in the bush trail-riding. Would definitely be on the radar if my goworms ever die.

Don't you find a cool light tone harder to read shadows? I don't want old-school yellow either, but a warm white in the 4-4.5k range I find is the sweet spot. Not sure if they still do, but gloworm had a choice of warm or cool white and I went warm due to my lacklustre experiences bush camping with early cool white led lights. I find the warm lights easier to ride with than the cooler whites my buddies have.
Want to try glowworms and definitely exposure 6pack
I think a good helmet light is first though, I'd like a little more throw and intensity especially if I'm wired up...no sense in half assing it if you already have a cord..make the earth schorch, spontaneously ignight small furry woodland creatures..

So on the outbound niteider comment
- I addressed the lumens difference
-best use for them better than niterider, I think high kelvin should be used for racing and DH style descents etc..

I prefer a 5k over lower like a lab vs a kitchen, one is homely and warm the other is " I see your mess keep it cleaned up, no where to hide" bright..
At speed that pays dividends no rolling shadows or blended terrain...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Want to try glowworms and definitely exposure 6pack
I think a good helmet light is first though, I'd like a little more throw and intensity especially if I'm wired up...no sense in half assing it if you already have a cord..make the earth schorch, spontaneously ignight small furry woodland creatures..

So on the outbound niteider comment
- I addressed the lumens difference
-best use for them better than niterider, I think high kelvin should be used for racing and DH style descents etc..

I prefer a 5k over lower like a lab vs a kitchen, one is homely and warm the other is " I see your mess keep it cleaned up, no where to hide" bright..
At speed that pays dividends no rolling shadows or blended terrain...

Interesting....I've always found too high K will wash out the terrain giving less definition. But we are talking really old 6.5K here - hope you liked everything blue. I can see where you going with the 5 - 5.5k though. I have never had the opportunity to ride anything close to DH at night, so in reality I too may prefer something a bit hotter. Gotta be better than the old sickly yellow halogens.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
The high K bright white sucks in fog and rain. The Outbound guys are in Oregon or Washington if I remember correctly, would explain the slightly warmer colour tone they have.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Interesting....I've always found too high K will wash out the terrain giving less definition. But we are talking really old 6.5K here - hope you liked everything blue. I can see where you going with the 5 - 5.5k though. I have never had the opportunity to ride anything close to DH at night, so in reality I too may prefer something a bit hotter. Gotta be better than the old sickly yellow halogens.
Anything 5k and just under is spot on...above it is even on cars...to low and you can't see squat too blue and well WTF?

It's not super white, but enough to give a little contrast, not soft enough to run shadows or blur earth tones at speed...it takes light Pantones and makes em light up. There's contrast but not on the darker end....your looking so far ahead that it's not kicking back in your face...

The 2 tone between these were way apparent at speed and which one id rip and not back off with..

And like I said IF outbound brightens up kelvins little and makes a higher lumen set up...well they would be confidently hanging in the high speed comfort zone.. cause man they got the spread and diffused light down pat..amazing job

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The high K bright white sucks in fog and rain. The Outbound guys are in Oregon or Washington if I remember correctly, would explain the slightly warmer colour tone they have.
Back east...
And yeah you will get a lot of kickback even from dust at higher speed and brighter kelvin... definitely...
That's why the bar light and low and long can cut , any helmet light will get you with all the moon dust in your face..amber is about all that lights up and cuts through without a ton of bounce back..